Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Nice move not losing control. Getting into "fuck you!" exchanges is not only dangerous, but basically fucks over every other foreigner who steps in the guy's bus for the next year. A little ignorance goes a long way in Thailand.

Best to keep in mind that the locals try to scam foreigners because they think we have enough money to pay more. And we do -- so in the rare occassions where you have forgotten to set a price, or you've been caught on some loophole, unless it's an outrageous scam, I'd just smile, try to bargain, and pay the guy and forget about it.

As for the foreign guys who advocate making a show of aggression, it's best to remember the Belgian guy who just got shot dead down on Phi Phi yesterday -- basically for having a drunken argument with a DJ in a bar. Leave it to the police if you feel the guy was out of line. If it were me, and I hadn't reported it within a day, I'd let it go and chalk it up to experience.

This is an interesting thread.

In Sweden i have a low threshold for abuse, and will confront and provoke anyone that tries to bully me in private or in my workplace. Granted this may not be a very good trait to have, but at least it gives me some sense of satisfaction.

On my first trips to Thailand as a 20year old backpacker i had no idea how to talk or treat the locals, and frequently got in to various arguments and minor skirmishes. I had never read any of the forums or heard the stories about tourists getting gunned down and it was frankly more fun. If someone was obviously trying to screw me over i could tell them to fuck off and be as nasty as i wanted to be. If push came to shove, then so be it. :D

Now i find myself worrying about people losing face and being generally paranoid about bargirls and their boyfriends/dj:s etc. I know the thai insults that they throw at us thinking we wont understand, stuff like that takes some of the fun away.

Whats even more funny is that the bargirls know that we are scared shitless and try to capitalize on it. One girls who shall remain anonymous from FLB though i was a first timer and told me that pattaya is a very dangerous place, and that she will come with me so that i wont get in to any trouble. I laughed in her face and left.

I have also had arguments with bargirls that has threatened me with the classic "i get thai man here, he dangerous" for no good reason. Preying on my insecurities is ok, but praying on my supposed fear pisses me off to the verge of frenzy. :D

Well thats how it is everywhere i guess, they have the home court advantage. I would just fucking love to have one of those taxi drivers try to pull shit like that on me and my mates back home.

/end rant.