Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Hi,

British Airways are imposing extra charges for extra baggage even if they are within the weight restriction limits. It varies depending on journey but it is a significant amount. Some routes seem exempt but LOS does not aappear to be one of them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6341129.stm

BA to charge £240 for extra bag

British Airways is planning to add up to £240 to the cost of a return long-haul flight if passengers want to check in an extra bag.

Travellers on shorter international trips will face a bill of £120 and those on domestic journeys, £60.

Analysts said the tactic was a way of the airline covering costs and possibly of smoothing its move to Heathrow's Terminal 5 next year.

But some said it may damage BA's image as a full-service carrier.

'Simpler'

Until now customers have been allowed to check in more than one bag as long as they did not go over weight restrictions.

The fees, which come in from Tuesday 13 February, will apply even if the combined weight of the two bags is below the allowance.

However passengers will be able to carry one piece of sporting equipment free of charge.

In a statement on its website, BA said the new system aimed for a "single allowance system based on the number of bags that can be checked in".

"Our vision for London Heathrow Terminal 5 is to create the best possible airport experience before you fly," it said.

"With this in mind we have announced a new simpler checked and excess baggage policy."

Passengers will get a 30% discount by paying in advance via the internet.

The extra charge will be £168, £84 and £42 per extra bag for return long-haul, short-haul and domestic flights when booked on line, up until 30 September.

BA said that flights to America, Canada, the Caribbean, Nigeria, Brazil and Mexico would be exempt from the new charges to bring policy "in line with the local government regulations".

Surprise

Independent air transport consultant John Strickland told the BBC he was surprised by the move.

"In some ways they are taking a leaf out of a low-cost airline's book by charging," he said.

"They are seen as a full service airline and certainly not as a low cost carrier."

The move has already provoked outrage from consumer groups.

A spokesman for Help the Aged told the Daily Telegraph the news raised "serious issues" for older travellers.

"For many older people it is important that they can travel independently," he said.

"But many will not be able to manage one bag."

Budget airlines such as Ryanair already charge passengers for carrying any check-in luggage at all.

Hi,

I read things like this and wonder if BA is in a suicide pact as to seems so very set on its own destruction.

Many years ago, BA would have been my first choice, but never now. This goes back to about 3 years ago when, you guessed the BA strikes. I had to fly from Northern Ireland(with my Mrs) to catch a BA flight to BKK. Even at check in BA would not confirm the flight would leave or leave on time :clap2 :clap1 . This is not a good feeling having just spent over £1200 on flights!! Luckily the flight did leave, but delayed. No reason given.

There has been strike action since then that threatened their customers trips. Some only the other week that was fortunately cancelled. Though it was cancelled at the last minute! no doubt causing a lot of concern to their customers with flights booked and paid for!!

Basiclly, I want to have bought my tickets from a company that I can trust and expect them to deliver what I paid for. I no longer trust BA to do this.

I am not qualified to give a view on the striking staffs reasons but I do feel if they persist with the perpetual strike threat then BA is doomed. Who can depend on them??

To be positive, could this be good for mongers?? I normally take a large suitcase thats 20% full on the way out and I have to sit on it when packed to go home and a girl zips it!! So maybe if you save 30% it could be ok. But is it worth the risk?? Would you trust BA?

Up to u hansome man.

Regards,

Why but why would anyone fly BA? I have asked this question before and never received a satisfactory answer. They are CRAP! Willy Walsh is an old mate of mine and I trust him to make a buck or two for himself and then cut and run as even he must admit that the airline is basically completely fucked up. Stay away boys and girls and maybe it will get taken over by Eva Air or Singapore Airlines and become a reasonable bet. Right now I wouldn't use them even if they had the cheapest tickets, you can never guarantee that you are going to get where you are going!

Presumably this is cabin baggage, never heard of only one bag they take and you collect at the other end.

I think they should weigh the passenger as well as the baggage, why should a little old lady with 45 kgms baggage pay extra when the guy behind her doesn't even if he weighs 130 kgms and has 25 kgms baggage.

Do check-in staff estimate each passenger's weight so the pilot knows how much fuel he needs?

Willy Walsh is an old mate of mine and I trust him to make a buck or two for himself

Hi,

Exactly!!! No doubt this will generate extra income and be good for the share price. I'm sure there is something in his contract to make it worth his while. :gulp

Note: This article is written assuming u fly economy class (Euro Traveller or World Traveller)

British Airways sucks and London Heathrow sucks..

I have only used British Airways to Bangkok once, but I have used them more than a dozen times to Accra and Lagos (In Africa) This is only because I go for the most changeable /flexibility tickets, and their tickets are generally more flexible compared to for exampel KLM and Lufthansa (I need flexibility even though I am flying coach).

Last time I flew BA was December 30, 2006 OSL-LHR-ACC and January 25 2007 LOS (Lagos)-LHR-OSL

Even though my return trip was from Nigeria (you get a full baggage allowance ) , their in flight service is getting worse every time I fly with them. Not to mention their ground staff service at the Lagos Murtala Muhammed International airport is also poor (one of the worst airports in the world). Even though being in Nigeria (not a very pleasant experience in the first place - you cannot expect much in that country) you should expect a little bit from BA, but obiously not in economy class.

I'm telling you guys, BA is getting worse every day (unless u fly premium cabin) and it does not help that most of their Intercontinental flights goes out of London Heathrow.. The airport is so damn crowded these days that most of the flights are delayed (at least in my experiences)

Conclusion: unless you live in London or get a very good price on BA, avoid Heathrow and British Airways in general!!!!

And the sad fact is that most European and US carriers suck in Economy class.. Go for Emirates, Thai, Malaysia Airways or Singapore Airlines if possible.. They're good even in coach :)

Fed up BA passenger ( Sindre)

Asian carriers = :bigsmile: thumbs up!!!

Edited by sindre