Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 470 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Reasons you like living in Thailand

Fair enough, but I'm scratching my head. What's lacking? I file my taxes on the Internet, my car is a Ford at US specs (yes it is, believe me), I'm online 24/7, I work at home and go to the office once every couple of weeks...

I know you can keep adding technology and never catch up, but what's missing here between what we've got and what would be "technologically advanced"?

Example of what I'm after here: I go to Singapore, there's nothing there that makes me go, "wow, wish we had that in Thailand".

I don't really need to answer this do I? Okay, I will humor you with some pretty basic stuff.

1) Singapore knows how to keep things clean, and how to use technology to get rid of waste.

2) Singapore knows how to control traffic using technology to control traffic lights. Plus they have LAWS and enforce them about driving.

I don't think there is much use of going any further.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think there is much use of going any further.

Up to you. But *I* DO think, and I think it's silly to claim that Singapore controls traffic because of technology. I DO think there are a couple of other reasons that intervene. In fact, go sit on Orchard Boulevard any afternoon and let me know how well the traffic moves. You'll have loads of time to consider it. Being stuck in traffic is what happens when you have too many cars and/or too few roads, not when you don't have enough technology.

Let's talk about how the police "decide" if you are speeding or not. I seen a radar gun in Thailand for the first time last year near Don Muang. I have never seen any in any other locations.

You forgot to mention the crappy hot dogs at 7-11. But I'm stumped. What have these to do with technology?

I'm not actually doubting that Dubai and Singapore have higher technology at all. I'm only wondering how it affects us, and what current technology might be put in place to help *us* out.

And wouldn't I LOVE to see wires go underground. I live on a teeny tiny soi that deadends on a dead-end teeny tiny soi and there's not a reason in the world the wires couldn't be buried. But of course they're not.

On the other hand, when I call the phone company and report a line is out, the guy is on the job within two hours and then calls me to make sure it's properly fixed, and doesn't come by for a tip. That's happened twice in the past three months - I have a number of phone lines.

Maybe he works better with overhead wires, who knows?

Meanwhile, in a world far removed from the Bangkok suburbs, my wife has been trying for the past 8 days to get a Comcast guy to come by and throw the switch that would give her TV and Internet access, but he's pretty busy even though she has paid $200 up front. Maybe by tomorrow. Or so.

You forgot to mention the crappy hot dogs at 7-11. But I'm stumped. What have these to do with technology?

I'm not actually doubting that Dubai and Singapore have higher technology at all. I'm only wondering how it affects us, and what current technology might be put in place to help *us* out.

And wouldn't I LOVE to see wires go underground. I live on a teeny tiny soi that deadends on a dead-end teeny tiny soi and there's not a reason in the world the wires couldn't be buried. But of course they're not.

On the other hand, when I call the phone company and report a line is out, the guy is on the job within two hours and then calls me to make sure it's properly fixed, and doesn't come by for a tip. That's happened twice in the past three months - I have a number of phone lines.

Maybe he works better with overhead wires, who knows?

Meanwhile, in a world far removed from the Bangkok suburbs, my wife has been trying for the past 8 days to get a Comcast guy to come by and throw the switch that would give her TV and Internet access, but he's pretty busy even though she has paid $200 up front. Maybe by tomorrow. Or so.

Let's see?

1) The little boxes that you put in your car that automatically pay tolls, so you don't have to stop

2) Bullet Trains, the rail system in Thailand is something from the 1940's.

3) How about weigh stations to make sure that trucks are not over loaded?

4) How about the latest technology on how to build roads that last more than a couple years?

5) A bar coding system for the prostitutes so I can pay by just running my credit card between her pussy lips.

Thai_ELECTRIC.JPG

Let's talk about the high tech electrical wires hanging all over the place in Pattaya?

You are not wrong. I should this pic to an electrician friend in Australia and he could not believe what he saw.

I said

I like this place because it is very international and has a good infrastructure. Living outside Pattaya, especially if you like technology, would be a bit more challenging.

in reference to living in other parts of Thailand that might not have a Tuk.Com or computer store. I didn't mean to say, nor did I unambigously imply, that Pattaya is high tech. I meant that I like technology (like broadband, ATMs, elevators, cell phone coverage). These were comparisons to what some people like to call "the real Thailand".

I said

in reference to living in other parts of Thailand that might not have a Tuk.Com or computer store. I didn't mean to say, nor did I unambigously imply, that Pattaya is high tech. I meant that I like technology (like broadband, ATMs, elevators, cell phone coverage). These were comparisons to what some people like to call "the real Thailand".

I miss interpreted your post. In the way that you are refering to it, as better than most places in Thailand, yes I would agree with you to a certain extent.

I love living here because everyone wants to help you out when you are about to purchase or rent something

they'll even take you to their friend's car dealership or take you to their cousin's apartment complex to sample the goods

is that just good human courtesy or what ?

Let's see?

1) The little boxes that you put in your car that automatically pay tolls, so you don't have to stop

Got them, except they're not boxes, they're stickers on the windshield. The expressway entrances have "tags only" lanes that cars speed through. Works very well, inclduing for me. It was put in aeons ago, way back in the last century, I believe.

Edit: Take a look here. The yellow sign is "tags only" but as you see the tags will work at any lane:

http://www.bangkokpicture.com/photos/bangkoktransport01.jpg

2) Bullet Trains, the rail system in Thailand is something from the 1940's.

Well the trains are a mess, no doubt. The problem is a horse-and-cart. If there were bullet trains, no one could afford them. The only reason people travel on trains is because of the price. I might or might not use a bullet train. Frankly, I enjoy having my car, I even drive to the South. But I'll give you this one overall. It would be NICE to have, no doubt.

3) How about weigh stations to make sure that trucks are not over loaded?

They have these on every highway, every day. They are known as "pay the police" points.

4) How about the latest technology on how to build roads that last more than a couple years?

They most certainly have this. This is one thing Thais can do and have done for a long, long time is make REALLY good roads. The problem is that highway building corruption is endemic. There's no lack of technology. The "back-expressway" from the airport into town hasn't seen a repair crew for eight years now just for starters.

5) A bar coding system for the prostitutes so I can pay by just running my credit card between her pussy lips.

Ah, yes, I wondered when you were going to give an example of advanced techology they use in Dubai.

Edited by joekicker
Good point, but can you elaborate on the vice versa part? :unsure:

With respect to your post, agreed now that the topic should have been "Reasons you like living in Pattaya".

I like this place because it is very international and has a good infrastructure. Living outside Pattaya, especially if you like technology, would be a bit more challenging.

MM,

The most obvious issue is obviously the language. I know lots of guys in Pattaya, many who have been there several years, and they haven't been inclined to pick up anything more than the absolute basics as far as communicating with anyone in Thai. Whilst I do drop back into Pattaya to see friends there are loads of farangs outside of Pattaya who would have the place bottom of their list of places to visit in LOS.

Rereading your post you actually answered your own question ....... I like where I am because its not International ......... no Starbucks, Ronnie Macs, Tesco etc etc (We do have a KFC though even although the same stuff is available outside at around 30% of the price). The pace of life is much slower, the beaches 100% better, no roads permanently clogged up with vehicles belching out crap. I'm not sure about the infrastructure bit in Pattaya .......... They seem to spend a lot of cash but it was only two years ago that the whole City seemed to be without water. As for broadband, ATMs, elevators, cell phone coverage etc ...... yep we have these and even a cable car thing that takes you up to the top of the vantage point at the end of the beach. You don't get that on Buddha Hill ..........

Rereading your post you actually answered your own question ....... I like where I am because its not International ......... no Starbucks, Ronnie Macs, Tesco etc etc (We do have a KFC though even although the same stuff is available outside at around 30% of the price).

By "international", I meant that I can stay in Pattaya and meet people from all over the world. I've become much better at decoding accents and jargon, though am still a bit slow with some of those from the British Isles. Having spent most of my life in the USA, it's a pleasure (for me) to meet people from a variety of other countries without actually going anywhere.

Having chain outlets from the USA, Italy, England or whatever had nothing to do with what I meant. Why you would even assume that was my meaning is puzzling in the extreme.

By "international", I meant that I can stay in Pattaya and meet people from all over the world. I've become much better at decoding accents and jargon, though am still a bit slow with some of those from the British

"Cosmopolitan" I think is a better word.

The Thais have always been very good at this, being very comfortable with foreigners, particularly farang. The King and I depicted that, in its own way. Chulalongkorn freed the slaves, built the railways. Thailand had compulsory co-ed education before most western countries, before the USA. The Thais took a look at stuff like that and said, "hmmm that sounds good, lets do it, too." Look at Thai food - almost none of it originated in Thailand.

Most Asians are either obsequious or arrogant, almost certainly because of colonialism. (Or totally secretive like Japanese and previous Korea). The Thais are neither, not as a country or government or regime.

Tom where are you, in Petchaburi?

"Cosmopolitan" I think is a better word.

I like "international". It definitely does not (only) mean Starbucks and McDonalds, unless someone is just being thick.

I like "international". It definitely does not (only) mean Starbucks and McDonalds, unless someone is just being thick.

So, does that make you an "International Man of Intrigue"? 5555! I can just picture you now in your Austin Powers outfit. ROFLMAO!

OH BEHAVE BABY! :bigsmile:

I like the entertainment provided by the Darwin Award candidates that I see often

just this morning I was having Joke (rice porridge) at a shop in the local market

I didn't notice before I ordered and sat down or I wouldn't have stayed, but there was a really drunken older Thai man in at the corner in front of the shop

he still had a bottle of Lao Kao (rice whiskey) with him and was sipping from it and shouting nonsense at random intervals

once he saw me I figured he would try to come over and introduce himself, but he just stared and asked the others if they'd talk to me for him

thank heaven no one in the shop told him I could understand every word he was saying and that he could speak to me just fine on his own

at first he used the word Falahng, but then consistently called me MUN - IT

he was near to drooling on himself and when his food came he seemed to be playing with it more than eating it, and kept directing his stare at me

I always try to avoid eye contact with these types, as it seems to be their cue to come talk to you about World Peace after you lock eyes

he kept asking the cook to ask me where I was from in English

She just looked at me and I gave her that "don't you even fuckin' dare" look, and she continued to ignore him as I was doing

He probably just got paid recently and blew a ton of his paycheck on women and whiskey

I was surprised when he didn't go into a rage when the cook told him he was being "rumkahn" - annoying

Usually you get the violent outburst at that point where they tell you they have the right to be there ordering food and getting service just like everyone else, right before they go outside to puke in the street

at first he used the word Falahng, but then consistently called me MUN - IT

People who are annoyed with being called "farang" have no idea what they're talking about. I was called "mun" in a column in Thai Rath one time, by name. I went to the newspaper office and boy, were they surprised! And did I get a deep wai from the editor and public apology from the columnist as a result.

I was really pixxed!

"Oh, we didn't know you would understand." Which just made me more pixxed of course. It was some years ago and I don't froth at the mouth any more about it. I guess I can't complain any more, but I sure as hell will.

I have to admit that I think I get the best of both worlds - I "live" in Thailand since we moved from the UK 2 years ago, but work 6 weeks in Europe and take 2 weeks back in Pattaya every 2 months.

It is like having a great holiday every 2 months, and living like a king, but I have to say that the main reason is the Thai people, who I have always found to be really friendly, even to a Farang such as me.

The other reasons are:

- good food at cheap prices - I adore the Thai food, but even when I get a craving for English "cooking" there are always places to find it, good service, smiling waitresses, what more can you want?

- Tesco and Carrefour when you want the stuff from Europe, Thai shops of all shapes and sizes for everything else

- Good service - I echo the sentiments about Tuk.com - I recommend pattaya2You computer stall as when I go in there they will install the software I need on my laptop for work, and I pay them about 100 baht as a "tip" for doing it - amazing

- Housing - the prices are going up, but you can still have a unique, big house, land, swimming pool outside Pattaya for the same price as a dull "estate" semi in the UK.

- nights out, without mentioning the girls, there are always places to go out - I especially like just wandering the bars and listening to live music - if it is not the Blues factory, then just walking past the bars and diving into anyone that is playing "hotel california" - is my trick for just finding a new bar to chill out, drink a beer and enjoy some music

- Working?, sitting on the balcony of the Royal Garden having a sandwich and coffee at 7pm and taking a telecon call from Germany - those poor bastards are stuck in the office while I am watching the sea, the beach and the sights of Pattaya.

- Golf, where else can you get on a pro course as a inexpefrienced, or nearly complete beginner - I think I made one hole at St Andrews into a par 20 - but nobody cares, including the lovely young golf caddies.

Try going to a club in the UK or USA and doing that...

- Schools - I think the school fees are less than half those in UK and Europe for a private school, and believe me, that is a big cost

- Tax, there is no comparison with what I would have to pay in Europe...

Yes, things in Pattaya are changing, yes the baht is going higher, yes the air fares are extortionate, yes it is not as Farang-friendly as maybe a few years ago, but the main reaon I like living in Thailand is I am happy when I am there, and when I am working away in Europe (as now), I am eager to get back

Crobe

MM,

No Martin, not being thick. The very fact that there are international restaurant and hotel chains in town is one of the things that attract people from Europe/US to the place.

Joe,

Tom where are you, in Petchaburi?

No, Songkhla City.

The very fact that there are international restaurant and hotel chains in town is one of the things that attract people from Europe/US to the place.

Too right, I wouldn't have dreamt of moving here if there wasn't a string of quality hotels for me to not stay in.

And, if by International Restaurants you mean, McDonalds, BurgerKing etc ...... places for me not to eat in too.

:allright

Edited by casper_uk
Too right, I wouldn't have dreamt of moving here if there wasn't a string of quality hotels for me to not stay in.

And, if by International Restaurants you mean, McDonalds, BurgerKing etc ...... places for me not to eat in too.

:D

Yeah, I like living at the Hard Rock Hotel. :D

Tom, the title of the thread was why you like living here, and I doubt you'll find many who come to live here for the Big Macs or Starbucks. Oh, well, the horse is dead anyway.

Yeah, I like living at the Hard Rock Hotel. :D

Tom, the title of the thread was why you like living here, and I doubt you'll find many who come to live here for the Big Macs or Starbucks. Oh, well, the horse is dead anyway.

MM,

The title of the thread is why you like living in Thailand, not why you like living in Pattaya.

I said one of the reasons I like living where I do is because there are no Ronnie Macs, Tescos, Starbucks etc i.e. the place still has its own character.

If you chose to interpret that as people like living in Pattaya for Big Macs/Starbucks then fine. But please don't try and imply that I suggested that was the case.

If you can't get your head round the difference then you need to get out a bit more. :D

Edited by CheshireTom
Let's talk about the high tech electrical wires hanging all over the place in Pattaya?

Ah yes,

I was standing on the balcony of my condo watching a thunder storm when I saw one of the power lines on Theprsassit Road blow. A spark jumped arched about 10 feet into the air. 5 seconds later, the power in the condo went off! :ang2

There must be some kind of transformer on the opposite side of Thappraya Road but which is hidden behind some buildings. During the rain on Tuesday, something big must have blown as I saw a huge veil of white light coming from that spot followed by a number of sparks.

Then during Thursday's storm, I heard a very loud bang so went out onto the balcony to investigate and a series of rather large sparks were arching several feet into the air from the same spot. I'm just glad wasn't standing nearby at the time!

Ah yes - infrastructure in Thailand in te 21st Century!

Alan

My tired old body no longer tolerates cold weather very well. Low humidity and cold weather makes my skin flake and crack. My joints ache like hell when I get cold, AND more than likely I wouldn't have a nice little bed warmer back in the land of cold fat women.

I love Thai food and my wife is a great cook. We have many different delicious varieties of fruit that I had never seen until I came here. My wife raises some of our vegetables and we have a lot of fruit trees. There are several fresh markets near us that have everything that we don't raise or barter for. We eat mostly duck eggs because my wife likes ducks and has about 40 of them. She also has 7 VERY stupid turkeys.

I have a new little tractor that I play gentleman farmer with. I was clearing some brush the other day and when I got home I had a flat front tire. I took it off the tractor and my wife took it to the village. It had a thorn in it and it cost 50 baht to get it fixed while she waited.

I got a really bad ear infection and with no appointment went to an ear, nose and throat specialist to get it looked at. I got it cleaned out, an injection of antibiotics and four different kind of pills for less than 500 baht.

My wife and some hired workers were planting rice and the workers wanted me to help them. My wife pays the help 150 baht per day and I told her that I wouldn't work for that. She insulted me by saying "GOOD", because I wasn't worth 150 baht a day.

I pay 30 baht per bottle for big bottles of Archa beer at my favorite scenic watering hole up on a mountain. The only traffic problem here is cattle and buffalo on the road.

The boonies isn't for everyone but I'm quite content here. Life is good.