Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 266 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Thai Air emergency

A Thai Airways Bangkok to Kuala Lumpar flight had to make an emergency decnt into Hat Yai last week, from another forum

This is from a reputable member and moderator of the Thaivisa forum who was on the flight- posted link here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index....post&p=1639240

"

Airconditioning failure? What a load of bollox!!!

Firstly, thanks to all who have expressed concern and well wishes... it was a harrowing experience for my wife and I, as well as the other passengers and flight crew. My wife, as well as some members of the Thai flight crew, were clutching their buddhas and amulets and praying that we were not going to crash. From the wide-eyed looks on the faces of the flight crew, it was obvious that we were in serious trouble.

First hand observations: we were about an hour into the flight, flying at nomal cruising altitude (35000 ft?) when there was a loud bang and the plane suddenly dropped. All the oxygen masks dropped out from the overhead compartments and an automatic pre-recorded message came over the itercom: "Emergency, emergency. Please put on your oxygen masks". The jet engines were screaming and the plane was rapidly descending. The cabin crew strapped themselves into their seats and also tried to put on their masks. Despite putting on the masks correctly, it was soon evident that there was no oxygen supply, as the plastic bags than connect to the masks and the gas delivery tube were not inflating... so basically, everyone was just hyperventilating. Two children in our section of the plane fainted, and were resuscitated by cabin crew with portable oxygen bottles and masks.

It was the quickest and roughest descent I have ever experienced... I would guess at about 15 minutes from the time of depressure to actual touchdown at Hat Yai.

The air con was not working during descent, but it certainly was not hot until we were actually taxiing from the runway to the terminal.

We had about a 5 hour wait at the transit lounge in Hat Yai until a replacement A330 Airbus arrived from BKK to take us on to KL.

So... the news reports were accurate in one respect... there were no injuries, but there were certainly children fainting as well as other passengers experiencing ear problems with rapid depressurization.

Another post - looks like two out of four engines stuffed up.

Frightful 35 mins for 280 TG 415 passengers

Eunice Au and Jolene Foo

Oxygen mask dangle in the cabin of the aircraft.

Photo taken from Woo's handphone

PETALING JAYA (Nov 8, 2007): About 280 Thai Airways' passengers were badly shaken when their Airbus took dives after two of its four jet engines were believed to have malfunctioned in mid-air on Tuesday (Nov 6).

Flight TG 415 lifted off from Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport for Kuala Lumpur at about 9.20am, with an almost full load comprising scores of Malaysians, when the engines went dead near Haadyai after an hour.

The loss of 50% engine power sent the aircraft diving up and down like a yo-yo amid screaming passengers. It also triggered the air-conditioning system to shut down.

Lucky for the passengers, the pilot managed to stabilise the aircraft after 35 minutes and sent out a S.O.S for an emergency landing on Haadyai International Airport.

No injuries were reported.

First hand observations: we were about an hour into the flight, flying at nomal cruising altitude (35000 ft?) when there was a loud bang and the plane suddenly dropped. All the oxygen masks dropped out from the overhead compartments and an automatic pre-recorded message came over the itercom: "Emergency, emergency. Please put on your oxygen masks". The jet engines were screaming and the plane was rapidly descending. The cabin crew strapped themselves into their seats and also tried to put on their masks. Despite putting on the masks correctly, it was soon evident that there was no oxygen supply, as the plastic bags than connect to the masks and the gas delivery tube were not inflating... so basically, everyone was just hyperventilating. Two children in our section of the plane fainted, and were resuscitated by cabin crew with portable oxygen bottles and masks.

Not to downplay, but it is my understanding (from watching the safety videos on airplanes for as long as I can remember safety videos existing on flights) that the bag itself will not inflate, despite providing oxygen.

Trying to make the bag inflate/deflate by taking huge breaths will indeed result in hyperventilation. The videos always say to breath normally despite the bag not filling up with oxygen.