Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 320 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Internet connection woes

I use a Toshiba laptop with Vista...I'm fine with Vista. I started using the Solomon Edge modem with an AIS sim on my Dell laptop with XP...I switched to Dtac as it seemed to work better here in Huay Yai south of Pattaya. Last March I bought the Toshiba...all worked well.

Last year around this time I was having difficulty getting an internet connection then all cleared up. I thought it might have been the new laptop and OS....now it is starting again.

I can get a Dtac connection into the system easily but when I want an internet connection it says I am not authorized...I need to try repeatedly even physically reconnecting the modem...This morning it took over an hour to get a connection.

Where do you think the problem may be? Dtac or the modem? If I bought another modem such as Sierra would it help?

Any ideas?

Thanks

You can buy an AIS SIM card for less than 100 baht. Trying that will tell you whether it is your modem or Dtac giving you the problem. If you have the same problem with AIS you may want to look at your connection settings or software. When I was using EDGE full time, I used both AIS and Dtac. Usually one of them would work. Where I am located Dtac works better.

ADDED - I wouldn't waste the money buying another modem. The Solomon is as good as any and maybe even better. If all else fails, you could try CDMA EVDO. I use CAT EVDO upcountry. I think where you are is covered by Hutch. I'm not sure if they offer EVDO or not. EVDO is about 5 to 10 times faster than EDGE.

Edited by Gary
  • 3 weeks later...

I have an EDGE modem which is little used these days since I went broadband with TT&T - MaxNet.

I ran both Dtac and AIS and switched them around depending on connection and speed on the day.

Now and again I’d insert the disc and re-load mobile phone tools which sometimes helped.

Another thing I did was to create a separate icon using the dial-up number *99# dumping the useless dial-up number previously used by both Dtac and AIS which was a cause of poor connections.

Another thing I did was to create a separate icon using the dial-up number *99# dumping the useless dial-up number previously used by both Dtac and AIS which was a cause of poor connections.
This is interesting. The number I used came out of the Samsung software, perhaps I would have had better luck with *99#.......

As it was I also went with ADSL via TT&T Maxnet. It appears they have switched their type of ADSL modulation recently to a more modern 2+. This may require some routers to be reset, I had to reconfigure mine as I had previously locked it to ADSL (multi) to get faster connection time.