Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

There are dentist shops all over town.  My guess - and it is only that - is that unless you're getting oral surgery then one dentist should be as good as another.

The dentists will all speak English; at least well enough to communicate.

As for rates, check out my trip report ("Steve's Most Excellent Adventure").  Suffice it to say that medical care in general in LOS is inexpensive and high quality.

H,

Pattaya International Hospital is the place to go.  Lady dentist called Dr Aree Taweesaengsuksakul.  An absolute babe (serenades you whilst doing your teeth) and a first-class dentist.  I never thought going to the dentist could be such a pleasure!  ;D I don't remember the exact prices but they were approx 20-25% of what I would normally pay in UK.

You can book in advance by e-mail for Dr Aree's attention at picpih@loxinfo.co.th or through their website:

http://www.pattaya-inter-hospital.co.th/

Tell her Steve Martin sent you!  8)

Hope this is of some use.

Regards,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

a babe dentist? somehow that doesn't seem fair.

any recommendations for optometrists? i have a good one here who will give me my prescriptions. I'm thinking of having some extra sets made on the cheap.

thanks for the info

SF_knight

SFKnight,

There are loads of good opticians along Central Road ... seems to be a concentration of them around the market.

The cheapest reputable one I have come across (recommended by Thai friends) is a concession in Tesco Lotus on Sukhumvit Road.  Bring your own prescription or have your eyes tested in-house.  Specs are ready in 1 hour.

Regards,

Tom

Last time I was in Pattaya, I had just finished drying myself after a shower when one of the lenses fell out on to the floor. Being as blind as the proverbial bat, I was fortunate to find the offending screw that had become loose ( I had some assistance here) and with the assistance of a tiny screw driver from my Swiss army knife was able to carry out the necessary running repairs.

So, if like me you depend on your glasses to see what you're doing (or who you're talking to) take a spare pair with you. You may never find the missing screw.

;D

Alan

My recommendation is the Dental Clinic at the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. Not only is this one of the best hospitals in Pattaya but they are reputed to have excellent dentists. My experience with them resulted from noticing that my Thai girlfiend was heavily addicted to toothpicks. Having guessed this was a clue to visit the dentist, I took her to a local dentist office. They did some work and advised that she needed additional major work (root canal) on six teeth.  This was beyond their capability. This put me off the local dentists except for minor work. I asked around and was advised the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital had a top-notch dental clinic.  They did the work and I was impressed with their professionalism. The cost seemed reasonable - cheap. Haven't had any personal experience though.

Papa Tom