Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Airmiles - are they worth it?

Last flight out, I registered for Aairmiles with KLM. They reckoned that I would clock up enough to get at least one free leg on my next trip out to LOS.

My first question is, "IS the pursuit of airmiles worth it, considering you have to stay wth the one carrier?"

Question 2 - can you use airmiles on courier flights?

TIA

Answer to your first question is if they're giving you the miles take them, you have nothing to loose.  You don't necessarily have to stay with one carrier to earn miles for a free flight.  I have an American Airlines account and you can earn miles on this account if you fly with Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines Alaska Airlines Quantas, and about a dozen more.  American Airlines doesn't fly to Bangkok, but they let me use my airmiles to fly free on Cathay Pacific.  Also their is a shitload of other ways to earn these miles i.e. credit card use, long distance carrier, hotel stays, car rentals and more.  The past 3 years that I'm aware, Cathay Pacific has run a 45K miles special to Bangkok from America.  From San Francisco its about 16K miles roundtrip, so 3 trips and the 4th is free.  As an example if I purchased 3 R/T's during the year at $800 and flew the 4th for free this would average out to $600 a trip.  Thus I'm willing to pay for a ticket that is slightly more if it earns miles that one that is cheaper but doesn't earn miles, however if I could get a ticket for $550 and it didn't earn miles I would jump on it.

I don't know the answer to your second question, but I don't know why you would want to use airmiles on a discounted ticket, you would want to use the free ticket when prices are at their highest.

Emil

Rhoel,

Any answers you get to your first question will be a matter of opinion.  Personally, I belong to three FF programmes; Thai/Star Alliance, EVA and China Airlines.  Each of the programmes has their own pros and cons built into the respective terms and conditions.

I use my Thai miles to purchase hotel vouchers for use in Bangkok - one return economy flight LHR-BKK equals one nights hotel stay.  The logic being why stay at the Nana for 1,000 Baht when you can stay round the corner in the JW Marriott (or Sheraton Grande/Plaza Athenee) for free (and it is guest friendly!).  Both EVA and China Airlines I use for upgrades from economy class since, unlike Thai, this can be confirmed at the time of booking rather than a couple of weeks before the flight.

As a rule of thumb I would say to join all the FF programmes of the airlines that you use.  It costs nothing and covers all your bases for the future.

As for courier flights; I assume you mean using your miles to upgrade yourself on a courier flight.  The flight would be booked in your name regardless of who is paying for it so you should be able to upgrade using your accumulated awards.  As with all FF awards, it would be prudent to check with the relevant airline beforehand.

Tom

Thanks guys ... I'll contavt KLM and check usage with them.

CT - if I am right from your post about things TGs say "Who lives in Pigeon Loft" etc, I assume you are living in the UK with a Thai ... driving home last night I was listening to R2 late night and they were blasting out some fine pipe-organ music - so just a thought, have you ever taken your good lady to a Cathedral, especially if they are letting rip with the pipes? I'd just love to see her reaction to a musical instrument which is over 80feet high, and weighs several tonnes: Can I suggest Winchester as a good example?

I have to admit that I let my imagination run a little wild on some of the comments she might come out with :) Whichever way you look at it, pipe-organs are impressive beasts to most Westerners but to Thais who don't have any musical instrument you can't carry, the concept of an instrument you have to climb into ....

-

You been on the spliffs again?

Me? Enjoy a Sunday joint or two? As if ;D

Seriously, the comments about how TG's view our culture/ surroundings has made me really take a look at what is around me - I'm putting in a heck of a lot of road miles at the moment so I get to see plenty ... I now understand where she is coming from: Things like the English tradition of Garden Follys ... Why build a garden house that could be lived in but never is? She's right, we're nuts. :)

Certainly, the more you travel the more you get! I'm a United "Premier Exec for Life" and often make 1k flyer.

With total perks I get 2.5 miles per flown mile.  Math Time! my trip is 14242X2.5=35605 earned My upgrade to Bus, which I always get is 40RT hence a 4395 in miles needed.  The difference in Bus and the ticket I'm on right now is about 3100 USD. Here is the fun part..you can purchase 10000 United miles for 125 USD...Hence the real cost to me for the 2 RT upgrades is 125USD and the saving is

about 6200USD.....Any questions..

Now, The years that I'm a United IK flyer....many Free upgrades, with all the perks and extra miles I

end up with paying about 4000 USD per year and go to Thailand 6 times Business class.  Six Bus tix would be about total  value 23,400 USD my cost about 4,000USD......    Frequent flyer game pays off if you stick with the same airline and the biggie is TRAVEL ALOT!

Oh. Thai is Star Alliance....mostly I get comp upgrades to business...they even will tell me what plane to catch..

How much more to you save by not spending money in airports because you're in the Business Class lounge..

Narita!...About a 100 USD for my 6 hour layover each   way. Free  Food, Shower, Internet, Beverages.....

Sawadee and happy traveling

Free business class that is!

You can sell them for about $300US per 30,000 miles (even though it is illegal).

I am also a FF on Star Alliance. One RT with all the add-ons is one free US trip on United.

Upgrades and lounges are a big bonus.

The question on courier miles. Airlines used to give FF miles but dropped that about three years ago. I don't know of any airline that gives you FF miles for a courier run but there may be some.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rhoel

I have collected airmiles virtually since they started.  I earn them on some flights, Nat West Access credit card transactions, PC parts from Dabs Direct, Tesco's, Sainsbury's, etc etc.  So in the last say 12 years or so I have twice had free return flights to Miami for two (my now ex wife and myself). And for myself alone a free return flight to Malaga in Spain and a free return flight to Rotterdam.  So not bad for something that I get for free  8) 8) 8) 8)

I am now seeing if I have enough airmiles in my account for a good discount on my one way ticket to Bangkokk in April  :)