Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Monkeywatch - February 2023

5 hours ago, monkeyman said:

Baht bus drivers in Pattaya have been reminded yet again that they need to be more respectful to their passengers.

Thanks again for your write up........much fun. 

It took me back a long way for some obscure reason to many many years ago when I was coming off the beach in Jomtien .. there was an elderly farang lady, struggling with the heat, arguing with a songtaew driver. Her accent was definitely close to my origins and I interjected, worried she may trigger a volatile reaction. Got the story that she had been on a day trip, the songtaew had been rented to take passengers back to their hotels from the minibus. Poor old lady had not been paying attention and not got off at her hotel and sat there until it was just her and the driver at the last place on his list. Now he wanted 200 baht to take her back to her hotel ...it was her fault in his mind, his fault in hers! Her hotel was up some hill and a little ways off, Cosy Beach IIRC.... and as stated, she was not doing well in the heat. I decided there and then that all this 'respect for the elderly', and good nature of Thais, did not extend to songtaew drivers! Old dear was game enough to get on the back of my motorcycle.... and as stated, came from where I did, so could get the juice from a penny!

Edited by jacko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good story Jacko and well on you to intervene.  Monkeywatch is always a favorite and appreciated. Sandcastles at the beach.Grew up near the ocean and as a kid a built many short living empires.   Jacko i had a similar experience with an acquaintance from home. He is in a heated argument with the 5 baht toilet guy because he only had a large bill at and least the toilet guy told him he didn't have change rather than grabbing the money.  The ugly American didnt understand why the fellow didnt just take the loss, it's only 5 baht.  I intervened with an apology in Thai and a 100 baht to the Thai. The American was lucky he didn't get his ass kicked as while the toilet guy was old the M/C guys observing were not. The US fellow scoffed at my explanation and i avoided him thereafter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, sailingbill said:

Good story Jacko

Yours too..... visitors don't grasp that Thais get real upset when people do not pay the agreed price, even small amounts, and the reactions are often volatile... like the guy who didn't believe a Thai was collecting parking fees of 20 baht, and refused, and got whacked over the head for it!

I had a house guest for a while and after several days I was already wanting him on his way. We were already on separate tabs when we went out as he was rather cheap, didn't like to buy LDs etc.  At one GGB we ordered and the poor girl got confused and brought 2 bottles, when he had ordered a draft... the bottle probably 70-80 baht more expensive. He flatly refused to accept it and I told him she likely would have to pay for it, his response was 'I am not paying for her stupidity'...... I took the 2 bottles and 2 tabs and told her to bring one draft...... funny really, when we were pals years prior, I was the tight one!

Edited by jacko
  • Like 4