Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1,002 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

well just coming to the end of my trip and it is my first stay at the RG, overall a very good hotel, friendly staff nice comfortable rooms for the best part, apart from the sound of the traffic from the main Jomtien road, for the price you will struggle to find anything better, BUT the main gripe I have is the fact the fact that it is a little out of town, in the review it states 5 minute walk, yeah right!!!

If you stay there be prepared to spend alot of time on baht busses stuck in heavy traffic up towards south Pattaya road (it does not help that thay are digging up that cross road at the moment) at night time I found it difficult to get back sometimes because either they wouldnt stop, didnt know where the RG was or was quoted 100 baht because when you try to describe they thought it was actually in Jomtien, so four taxis (bus and bike) a day cost me on average around 100 baht, yes I would recommend the hotel, very nice indeed but I dont think I will be staying there again.

Had a great time though :cussing

I just got back from a stay at the RG also, but I never had any difficulty at any time getting back on the Baht Bus, although it was usually necessary to take two busses if you were in North Pattaya.

I had an older room w/o a TV in the bedroom, but it opened onto the rear pool, which I liked. I thought the staff was great, the room was nice, and the location was perhaps not ideal, but not all that bad. (OK, it's a long walk to walking street, but I managed it, and I'm 55 and out of shape!)

I will probably stay there again, although on my next trip I am going to the Sabai Lodge, which is quite nice, also, and close to the soapies, which I always indulge in.

pattaya_mad

I've been saying that for ages about the RG being a fair way from the action and the five minute walk, It takes longer than that on a motor bike. I'm not knocking the joint but there are just as good places and much closer to the action than the RG IMHO.

Bigmike.

Guest Winston_Churchill

If you crawl like a baby 5 mins will get you to the hotel v.c hang a left another 2 mins walking street,i had the same problem with baht busses getting back late now i go to v.c hotel catch a moving bus no problem..

I would say it's around a 10 minute or so walk to Walking Street - not allowing for the time it takes to cross the road. :beer The location doesn't really bother me though if you are heading back from Central or North Pattaya it is better to take one bus to Walking Street and then walk round to the extension of 2nd Road and get a bus that's moving to take you the rest of the way.

Alan

pattaya_mad

I've been saying that for ages about the RG being a fair way from the action and the five minute walk, It takes longer than that on a motor bike. I'm not knocking the joint but there are just as good places and much closer to the action than the RG IMHO.

Bigmike.

Yeh and we know where don't we Mike

I pass that hotel daily and I have no idea why anyone without a car or motorbike would stay there. When you consider how many beautiful hotels with a pool and a quiet room appear on Beach Rd or even Walking St., it makes me wonder...

I once stayed at AA hotel on Beach and found it comfortable, quiet, affordable, and amazingly located in the center of beach rd. You could walk to Royal Garden or get the bus to Big C.

I see that the Woodlands Resort and The Residence Gardens work out about the same price. Can anyone give me an opinion between them both. I dont need to be right on top of the walking street. A nice pool and no guest hassle is more important. Most of all I need clean accomodation. Any comments most welcome. I am torn between the two. Help!!

If you don't want any guest hassle the Woodlands is probably one of the last places you would want to stay. The room sizes don't come anywhere near those in RG either. I have stayed at both and neither would be anywhere near the top of my list of places to stay in the future.

Tom

Winston Churchill,

I can understand why some guys go for the RG but for me the negatives were:

Bed and bedroom too small - I actually found it more comfortable sleeping on the sofa.

The bed and window next to the lobby wall - you could hear everybody's footsteps and every door banging

Too many FLB girls and hotel staff nosing into your business

The distance from anything - not only the nightlife. I prefer Soi 2/3/4 where I have pretty much everything on my doorstep. Getting into town was no great hassle but it was a pain getting back, particularly if you didn't end up in South Pattaya.

I also found that the staff didn't make much of an effort and could be overly familiar. It was something I didn't feel very comfortable with.

As with all hotels, it's a case of different strokes for different folks but the RG just didn't do it for me.

Tom

CheshireTom having never stopped at the RG but I have driven past it a lot I have to agree with you as far as location goes, it would be a pain in the arse to get there late at night and the traffic congestion leading up to South Pattaya Rd in both directions can be horrendous. I stop in Soi 13 as it gives me easy access to go in either direction and I like the Hotel.

Bigmike.

Stayed a tthe RG on both my trips to LOS. I find the place to be a great hotel for the money. Like the room lay-out, the girls seem to love the kitchen area and being able to cook up some extra spicey food in the mornings.

Have always found the staff to be helpful and respectful to both myself and the girls I have with me.

As far as the location goes, never had a problem getting the Baht bus. Like Wiston said catch a moving bus by the VC hotel for no extra charge. Walk up Soi Saensamram from walking street out to second road and there are always a bus going towords the RG.

:P Hey, thanks Guys for your responses. I think I will give the woodlands a miss in view of the comments re guest hassle. I stay twice a year in Patt, usually at Dusit, Marriott or Amari. where Joiner fees are expensive. B1,000 and B800 respectively. I do prefer upmarket hotels but guess all will have the same view re joiners??

Hub, What do you mean that the pool is not private? Apart from RG guests who else uses it?

Those of you that have stayed at RG, is there a large fridge in each room? Is there a TV in the bedroom? Does the aircon work efficiently? Is the hotel and surrounding areas safe? Do the rooms have a bath? and moreso is the RG Clean??

Hope I dont sound paranoid - but I am!!

I pass that hotel daily and I have no idea why anyone without a car or motorbike would stay there. When you consider how many beautiful hotels with a pool and a quiet room appear on Beach Rd or even Walking St., it makes me wonder...

I once stayed at AA hotel on Beach and found it comfortable, quiet, affordable, and amazingly located in the center of beach rd. You could walk to Royal Garden or get the bus to Big C.

same same

i stay at AA or Lek, I'm a soi13 kinda guy and at $650bt per night they have everything i want and loction, location, location (i belive that;s about half the price of RG)

i usta stay at twin palms, (next to Hard Rock) but a little out of the way and some of the rooms are getting a little shabby and it's 700bt although i liked the place and staff.

have a hard time justifying more than 1k per night for room in pty with all the availablity or maybe i'm just a cheap bastard.

Rascall,

I think by saying the pool isn't private Hub is referring to the fact that its at the front of the hotel right by the main road.

The room I stayed in there had a large fridge and a TV in the bedroom but I recall other posters saying this wasn't the case for the rooms they had. The aircon was very efficient (had to get up and turn it down once after setting it a little over zealously and waking up cold in the middle of the night). No bath, just a shower, and the water pressure was variable to say the least. Couldn't fault the place for cleanliness at all.

As for the safety of the hotel and surrounding area I didn't come across anywhere in pattaya (or anywhere else in LOS) where I didn't feel safe.

Guest Winston_Churchill

ok there is some noise with the lorries going up the hill cant really keep the windows open, and that moto taxi waiting over the road all night revving his hair dryer to catch the s/timers, pool not private? dont get that one..bedroom not big enough? you have a whole suite to play in :P take care i will be there in 2 weeks time 1luv

What some consider negatives of the RG are actually positives for me. I like that it's a bit out of the way; I need a little down-time after a big night, and the somewhat isolated location works well for me. I actually like the stroll into town, but being a bit lazy I take the baht bus back at night. And yes, the beds are a bit firm, but my back has been wrecked by years of abuse and neglect (deteriorating L6/7 disk, herniated C4/5, 5/6 and 6/7 disks) so a firm mattress is what I need.

It just comes down to what each person needs and wants.

Hub, What do you mean that the pool is not private? Apart from RG guests who else uses it?

Those of you that have stayed at RG, is there a large fridge in each room? Is there a TV in the bedroom? Does the aircon work efficiently? Is the hotel and surrounding areas safe? Do the rooms have a bath? and moreso is the RG Clean??

I just thought the pool was spot in the middle of everything with people eating, etc. Not really a big deal. When I stayed there 2001-2002, the bedrooms didn't have tv. I found it to be very clean.

How is the Dusit? I may give it a try one of these trips. I heard the pool is nice.

Hub

Rascall, there is a second pool at the RG as well, more secluded behind the long-term building behind the restaurant. Sometimes this pool is used by small groups learning to scuba dive, however. The rooms I've had there have about a 3/4 of full-sized fridge, plenty big enough to put lots of food/drinks in. They used to only have a T.V. in the living rooms, but have added 2nd sets in the befrooms, but I don't know if all the rooms have them...ask for a room that has 2 if that's important to you. The air cons work well, one unit in the L.R. and one unit in the bedroom, both on seperate controls. The hotel and surrounding area has always seemed safe to me. The R.G. has 24 hour security, 2 guys on from about 7 P.M. and then 2 more guys taking over for them at 7 A.M. No bath in rooms, just a shower. Rooms cleaned daily, swept, mopped, etc. It's very clean, at least from my experiences.

I stayed at the RG in December 2003 and November 2004. Both times I requested a suite with a larger (3/4 size) refrigerator as shown on their website and each time I was given a suite with just a small minibar. There was also no microwave oven as shown in the preceding pictures. Every time I tried to use the pool at the rear of the hotel, Mermaid Divers was using it to give scuba classes. Also, the rooms were definitely not mopped every day, if at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We must confine ourselves to the powers described in the Constitution, and the moment we pass it, we take an arbitrary step towards despotic government. — James Jackson, 1st U.S. Congress

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. — Thomas Jefferson

Tis really astonishing that the same people, who have just emerged from a long and cruel war in defense of liberty, should now agree to fix an elective despotism upon themselves and their posterity. — Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Hi !

Must agree with "tangent", stayed at RG 5 times and had none of the problems described. :D

Yes, some noise from the road but why not close the balcony-door problem solved. :D

Little out of town ? 10 min walk max. to V.C hotel (don't know why some people try to say different),

or flag down a bathbus outside RG. :D

Regarding bathbus problem when going back to RG, be aware/avake when coming from walking street/south pattya road.

If the bus hold right lane usually no problem otherwise jump off take a new one moving on second road towards Jomtien. :P

And yes girls love the place. :D

Take care

Wow, I am amazed at the amount of folks who have responded to help me with this. I think I am going to go for it and stay at the RG. Thank you all to those have PM'd me and answered. I will email RG over the weekend. Any recommendations on the best room? - only joking, i wont push my luck too far with you.

HUB - yes, I have stayed at the Dusit a number of times. Very nice and plush. Two pools on two different levels. Both excellent. Stayed at the Dusit last July and the more favoured lagoon pool was closed for rebuilding. Lagoon pool was going to open in again in September.

THANKS AGAIN FOLKS> Special thanks to Tangent