Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Can anyone tell me the current exchange rates you are getting in Pattaya for UK Pound ?

The tourist rates quoted over here have dropped significantly recently.

thanks guys

The tourist rates quoted over here have dropped significantly recently.

That'll be the banks and foreign exchange booths and travel agencies cashing in on the summer holidays and creaming even more of folks hard earned sterling into their own pockets!

The 72.3 Baht listed on xe.net is pretty much the same as when I travelled in May (back in Nov 04 it was around 73.3) so hasn't changed a great deal. At the time the UK banks were selling at approx 68.5 and also charging a 3% commission on top of that <laugh

The xe.net rate is usually fairly accurate to the conversion rate when using your debit card in the Thai cashpoints, and depending on your account you'd see a charge of 2-3% when viewing statements.

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of taking cash, or travellers cheques, I have a Nationwide BS (UK) debit card. You can get your cash from any ATM, the exchange rate is at bank rate which is better than tourist rate, and they absorb the overseas bank charges, also they do not impose a service charge. But obviously you must have cash in you account.

thechairman18

Instead of taking cash, or travellers cheques, I have a Nationwide BS (UK) debit card. You can get your cash from any ATM, the exchange rate is at bank rate which is better than tourist rate, and they absorb the overseas bank charges, also they do not impose a service charge. But obviously you must have cash in you account.

thechairman18

took this advice last year will never do anything else in future

thechairman18

yep me to, just hope they dont start charging in future

Thanks for the replies guys.

I should maybe have made my question a bit clearer. The reason for asking is I'm buying a condo, and even a drop of a couple of baht makes quite a difference to the overall price .

I would like to get about 74 to £ if poss.

Agree with the points about Nationwide, used them all over the world and never had a problem ( touch wood )

thanks

If you are buying a condo in YOUR name, the money has to be transferred in STERLING to a THAI Bank Account in YOUR name, in order that you can get the TT3 form from that bank for the condo to be registered in your name.

On my recent holiday in June I was looking for a condo, and found a beauty, although I was not planning to buy at that time.

However I was caught in a Catch 22 situation that stumped me completely.

I was in Thailand, so I COULD open a bank account (did that with Bangkok Bank), but I had to be in the UK to be able to send the money to myself.

On my return I could send the money to my own Bangkok Bank account, but needed to be in Thailand to be able to get the relevant forms in person from the bank.

I do not think that bringing Sterling in cash is an option, as the TT3 is only issued for funds "remitted from abroad".

Also, the rate for cash and Telex Transfer is different, so you will get more by sending the money by SWIFT transfer.

It is about 1 Baht at the moment, have a look here

http://www.bbl.co.th/Bangkok+Bank/Web+Serv...es/FX+Rates.htm

I Have also used the nationwide flex account card for a number of years now.The reason it doesn't have a loading fee is because it's a Building society and not a bank.It's owned by it's members,me and you.It's also very handy in an airport when you need the minimum amount of cash(no withdrawal fee).So when you get the voting forms through don't forget to vote for it to stay a building society and not to convert to a bank.This message goes out to carpetbaggers who take a short term view on pocketing a few thousand pound that they'd gain if it is converted to a bank.Vote No and we can enjoy more Free withdrawals(after all it is our cash) at trade rates for years to come.New members will have had to sign a waiver form handing any potential windfall to a charity,so it won't affect them financialy (on a personal level).So again i urge them as well as older members like myself(I've had an account for 20+ years) to vote No when the voting time comes around.

I Have also used the nationwide flex account card for a number of years now.The reason it doesn't have a loading fee is because it's a Building society and not a bank.It's owned by it's members,me and you.It's also very handy in an airport when you need the minimum amount of cash(no withdrawal fee).So when you get the voting forms through don't forget to vote for it to stay a building society and not to convert to a bank.This message goes out to carpetbaggers who take a short term view on pocketing a few thousand pound that they'd gain if it is converted to a bank.Vote No and we can enjoy more Free withdrawals(after all it is our cash) at trade rates for years to come.New members will have had to sign a waiver form handing any potential windfall to a charity,so it won't affect them financialy (on a personal level).So again i urge them as well as older members like myself(I've had an account for 20+ years) to vote No when the voting time comes around.

I only opened an account with the Nationwide Building Society 5 years ago after and I had to sign a form signing away my rights to any future windfall. Therefore, I too will be voting against any future plans for them to convert to a Bank.

Alan