Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

:beer just got back wiith this airline last night and was well impressed with its service and its new aircraft . was evewn lucky enough to get up graded on the way back

wioch was an added bonus. no probs with this airline and would use them again no problem :D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:clap2 just got back wiith this airline last night and was well impressed with its service and its new aircraft . was evewn lucky enough to get up graded on the way back

wioch was an added bonus. no probs with this airline and would use them again no problem :D

Thanks for the feedback,im flying with Etihad in March, LGW-BKK

How was the occupancy of the plane?

How was the meal and the service?Inflight movies?I heard a checkin takes a long time is that true?I have only 1 hour for transfer in AbuDhabi.

Do you have to pay extra for upgrading the seats?

Thanks

Coralgraph

Edited by coralgraph

Hi Coralgraph

The occupancy of the plane is fine.....normally tv screens on the seats in front. But have once travelled in an older aircraft. Leg room is standard but as I'm short that has never bothered me whatever airline I used. Food no complaints from the main meal and also the little snack at the end of the flight.

I also go via Abu Dhabi. Check in is ok if sometimes a little chaotic at Abu Dhabi......but you can't wander to far from the check in counter. Go downstairs and get a quick coffee before check in. I usually go to check in about 40 mins prior to departure. It can be a long wait then once through....if you call 30 minutes a long wait. If you are in doubt, as you disembark, there are Etihad staff available as you walk through into the terminal......just grab one and ask!!

As for upgrading....I have never felt the need to...so maybe someone else can help you with that

Have a great trip

Cheers

Phillip

Etihad will completely replace its fleet on the LGW and BKK routes over the next 3 months in favour of brand new 777-300ER aircraft (the aircraft deliveries are around 3 months late due to the recent strike at Boeing). Travel between now and easter on these routes will be a bit hit-and-miss as to what aircraft you will actually fly on. Thereafter it will be all new aircraft throughout the complete LGW-AUH-BKK routes. The aircraft currently operating the LGW and BKK routes will be redeployed to MAN, amongst others. Good news all round I think.

I agree...........I have flown with Etihad on all three trips so far....this one in April will be no different.

Good news Phillip. :banghead

We're off to Thailand this april too, flying Etihad for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...
:beer just got back wiith this airline last night and was well impressed with its service and its new aircraft . was evewn lucky enough to get up graded on the way back

wioch was an added bonus. no probs with this airline and would use them again no problem <grin

Thats funny I came back on that flight but did not notice any 'new aircraft' the one on the AD-GW was still the leased old crate from iberworld. Can't say I was impressed on either flights, although the one back was better. Why do they repeat the same films on both legs? 90% of the passengers are the same and I'm sure not many want to see wallace and grommit etc twice. On the plus side I thought the food was good and check in also good. In a time of increasing prices they are good value and probably go with them again

Edited by thai3

Maybe I'm a bit lost here but as manyu of you are showing Union Flag icons I assume you are talking UK - Thailand.

I just cant understand why you would want an "indirect" flight (however good the planes etc). EVA Heathrow-BKK in April is £411 return. Surepoy worth the extra 60 quid for a direct flight??

Like I say maybe I'm missing something

Spider

Thai3 - well just about everywhere try expedia.co.uk for example. Travelling the Easter Weekend is more expensive though buit funnily the May Bank holiday weekend is still at £411.

For what its worth EVA has 34" legroom in economy which is 3 more than BA and 2 more than etihad - same as Thai Air tho' but jeez has that airline gone downhill over the last few years.

I have booked with with Etihad for my forthcoming trip in March. Price : £380 return. At the time of booking a direct flight was running at £550. The £170 pound saving pays for a good deal of my Hotel expenses, approx £15 a night. In my opinion definately worth the extra couple of hours travel time. :allright

On Expedia : Eva air = 11 hours 20 mins; Etihad = 14 hours 30 mins ; Outbound times, longer for return.

Edited by Treebeard

Etihad unveiled its new aircraft to be used on the Gatwick and Bangkok routes last night and they appear to be mightily impressive ......... video/audio on demand, wireless internet etc. However, the most impressive thing, for me anyway, was its biz class product which leaves many airlines first class to shame. I'll try and get some pics over the weekend and post them here.

The press release:

Etihad Airways today celebrated the induction of the airline's first 777-300ER into its fleet. Etihad's newest addition to its twin-aisle fleet arrived Monday after a direct flight from Paine Field in Everett, Wash., a trip of approximately 15 hours.

"The arrival of this impressive new Boeing 777-300 ER aircraft is a defining moment in Etihad's history," said Robert Strodel, CEO, Etihad Airways. "The aircraft has been designed to Etihad specifications, and will provide our guests with higher standards of hospitality and service across our expanding international network."

The two aisle aircraft is configured to carry a total capacity of 378 Guests, 350 in the Coral Zone and 28 in the Pearl Zone.

“Etihad Airways is becoming synonymous with hospitality, and comfort is offered throughout the Etihad Airways Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. Each Zone has been meticulously designed to meet Guests’ requirements, and this is underlined in the Pearl Zone where the seats recline 180 degrees into a flat and comfortable bed,” added Strodel.

Pearl and Coral Zone Guests can also send or receive email, including those with large attachments using the advanced ‘Connexion by Boeing’ system. They will be able to browse the internet in exactly the same way they would at home, and also securely access company intranet and business applications.

Systems in place on the Boeing 777-300ER allow guests will be able to access 30 movies, 24 hours of TV programming, 12 audio channels, 110 audio CD’s, and 28 Interactive Games.

The mood lighting in all sections of the Boeing 777-300ER has been designed especially to create specific ambiences in the aircraft cabin, conducive to relaxation or business. It also aims to help the mental and physical wellbeing of guests, especially on long haul flights.

Well I gotta admit it sounds OK but if you really get there is 14hrs 30 I will eat my hat. Bank on 17+ to be more likely

whitespider,

Why do you say bank on 17+ hrs when the published schedule is as little as 14:40 incl a 1:15 stopover in Abu Dhabi? :allright

Tom

For what its worth EVA has 34" legroom in economy which is 3 more than BA and 2 more than etihad - same as Thai Air tho' but jeez has that airline gone downhill over the last few years.

Both EVA and Etihad have a standard 33" seat-pitch in economy on their 777s.

Tom

Edited by CheshireTom

Tom et al,

I'm taking a tape measure next trip - back to Hrow Thursday, both legs of flight Etihad A 330s but I'm sure different leg room.

I don't see any mention yet of what the leg room will be on the 777's?...and anyone care to say what the extra capacity will do to check in times...

A couple of minus's this trip, there's been more hassle once on board with these guys who won't let their wife(s) sit next to a male passenger, heard this going on twice out of the four legs of my return trip - this should be sorted at check-in.

On the plus side Gatwick is quicker for me, probably less stacking and tends to be quoted at a cheaper price than Hrow.

flighty

flighty,

Reference to EVA's seat pitch can be found on the relevant seat map on their site (on the right hand side, just above the aircraft plan (Premium Laurel - 61", Elite - 38" and Economy 33"):

EVA's 777 Seat Map

As for Etihad, the seat pitch in economy is referred to in their press release on 2 Feb (the full article is linked to from their website's fron page):

The Boeing 777-300ER is a two-zone aircraft with a total capacity of 378 seats (28 in the Pearl Zone and 350 in the Coral Zone). The seats, made by French company Sogerma, are configured to ensure maximum comfort for Guests.

While the Pearl Zone seats transform into flat beds, Coral Zone seats have a pitch of up to 33 inches between seats. And, to add that extra, comforting touch, Pearl Zone seats have a built-in massage system — the perfect way to relax!

The new aircraft also introduces WiFli —live, high-speed wireless internet access through all Guest Zones. This is the first such service to be offered by any airline in the Middle East.

Powered by Connexion By Boeing, WiFli allows guests to send or receive e-mails with unlimited attachments and data, access their corporate network (VPN), or even watch live TV. Four channels will be broadcast using the wireless service: BBC World, EuroNews, EurosportNews and CNBC.

All that is required is a laptop. If the laptop is not configured for wireless access, guests can also connect to the service by using a standard RJ45 cable. The service will be available in all Guest Zones at affordable prices. The payment packages vary between $9.95 and $29.95. An agreement between CBB and Etisalat even allows guests with an Etisalat account to pay for the service through their Etisalat account.

Regards,

Tom

Well I gotta admit it sounds OK but if you really get there is 14hrs 30 I will eat my hat. Bank on 17+ to be more likely

i actually flew with etihad in january 06 to bkk from LGW. the plane landed over half an hour early!!! legroom ok between AUH-BKK-AUH but its a tight squeeze between LGW-AUH-LGW as they use a third party plane for the moment?

Tom - EVA fly 747 LHR to BKK and their published legroom is 34" - Im not sure of the reality to be honest as I always use the evergreen deluxe service.

I can only make assumptionas about the 17hrs, but in my experience the turn around time at stopover is rarely what is published due to late arrivals etc for connections. I am sure many DO arrive on time or even early but more will be late.

All of this is purely "opinion" (though based on the real experience of over 45 return flights from LHR-BKK) - I am simply pointing out the advantage (usually) of direct flights, especially if only 30 quid more. I DO accept the arguments about egtting the Belfast ect - i am lucky, or not as the case may be, to live within 25 minutes drive of Heathrow.

Both thai and EVA had LHR-BKK last Novemer at £350 and £360 respectively and I was still seeing people talking about the benefits of Finnair that month on another board.

If you are a regualr flier it pays to get a "regular" agent who can usually get better than published deals, especially if hotels are included. But then again others would argue its better in those circumstances to pay the "going rate" to get the full miles allowance anyway.

Horses for courses I guess

spider

whitespider,

Tom - EVA fly 747 LHR to BKK and their published legroom is 34" - Im not sure of the reality to be honest as I always use the evergreen deluxe service.

Eva flew their last 747 on the LHR-BKK route almost 5 months ago. Since then they have only operated 777s on the route.

I can only make assumptionas about the 17hrs, but in my experience the turn around time at stopover is rarely what is published due to late arrivals etc for connections. I am sure many DO arrive on time or even early but more will be late.

The four non-stop airlines (BA, Qantas, EVA and Thai) from LHR are all subject to the exact same connection issues than an airline in the middle east. With codeshares and bilateral agreements the flights departing Heathrow are actually "connections" for passengers from UK/Europe and North America. There is a reasonable case to be made that since the middle east airlines, in the main, are carrying passengers through on the same airline that they are less likely to be subject to delays than an airline connecting pax from a multitude of different airlines. The various statistics available does not seem to support the idea that connecting flights somewhere other than LHR leads to significant delays in arrival times at the eventual destination. In fact, Emirates is rated higher in the punctuality stakes drawn up by IATA than all of the four "non-stop" airlines and is only beaten by Singapore Airlines.

All of this is purely "opinion" (though based on the real experience of over 45 return flights from LHR-BKK) - I am simply pointing out the advantage (usually) of direct flights, especially if only 30 quid more. I DO accept the arguments about egtting the Belfast ect - i am lucky, or not as the case may be, to live within 25 minutes drive of Heathrow.

I would agree that being able to do the trip UK-BKK in one hop is probably preferable to undertaking a stop en-route and is almost certainly the way to go for infrequent flyers. For frequent flyers I think that half the trick is identifying those airlines that offer decent service, good schedules, consistently low prices and a decent frequent flyer programme in order to find the best value for money.

Both thai and EVA had LHR-BKK last Novemer at £350 and £360 respectively and I was still seeing people talking about the benefits of Finnair that month on another board.

We are in total agreement on that point. I often see guys asking about Turkish Airlines from Manchester when both Qatar and Emirates are only around 40 quid more expensive. :rolleyes: I don't get it but I'm sure they have their reasons.

If you are a regualr flier it pays to get a "regular" agent who can usually get better than published deals, especially if hotels are included. But then again others would argue its better in those circumstances to pay the "going rate" to get the full miles allowance anyway.

Hotel inclusive fares (YIT fares) are available pretty much to all agents and are a good way to go especially if you are sharing accommodation and on airlines such as Qatar you accumulate the full mileage including any silver/gold tier bonus. In addition, there are no restrictions on using your airmiles to upgrade to biz from an economy IT fare.

Tom