Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Can anyone explain to me the logic behind the ban on driving a new car between 7pm and 7 am. Apparently I have to wait up to 2 months for the white plate and this just seems daft to me.

I know many people ignore this but Id like to know why this law exists coz its pissed me off big time :ang2

i paid 4000 baht for a book that i had to fill in saying where i'd driven too each journey,which meant i could travel outside of chonburi area and drive at night .

you also get the 4000 baht back when you get the white plates ,the dealership did all this for me (toyota)

I know it's crazy but I really wouldn't worry about it.

I've had two new cars here. With the first one it took 3 months to get the white plates. I was stopped about three times, usually on the expressway in Bangkok and had to pay a bribe each time of 500 baht. It was all new to me then and I probably could have got away with 200 baht.

With the second car it only took 6 weeks to get the plates. I drove all over the country in that 6 weeks and was stopped once for speeding in Isaan. One hundred baht took care of that.

Don't expect for laws like this to make sense or anyone to know why they exist. TIT after all. My guess would be that a lot of Thai's like to keep the red plates on as a status symbol and would never change them over if not for the fact that you are bound to get stopped and fined for breaking this rule.

My understanding is so long as you get the Red Plates with the accompanying book, then there are no restrictions (I had no problems anywhere any time).

Seems that some places in typical Thai fashion get one book and make many copy plates (give to dopey unwitting Falangs?)........

so if you have the book all is kosher.

my understanding is that you cannot drive after 7pm and before 7 am on red plates and that you also cannot drive on red plates at weekends.

i dont know why , but apparently it is law in thailand.

when you buy your new car it wont have the book ,as this is the registration document on which the plates are ordered.

the plates tell you what provence your car is registered in and thats why you get stopped by the police on red plates when driving out with the provence you are registered in.

i would like to know the answer to this myself.

when you buy your new car it wont have the book ,as this is the registration document on which the plates are ordered.

You wont have the book for the ultimate plates that you will get, true.

But MAKE SURE you get the book for the Red Plates (which disreputable dealers like not to give you) then you will have none of these problems.

I just bought a new Toyota from the dealer on the left of Sirkhumvit going north. I paid 4000 baht (which I will get back when I return them) for red plates valid throughout Thailand. I understand the free red plates are only valid locally.

The dealer is waiting till this month so I get 2007 registration documents, which make the car more valuable if I want to sell it.

My brother in law has just driven us up to Udon Thani and we were not stopped. See what happens on the return.

The annoying thing is I have to wait for an English manual to explain how everything works. Currently not a problem as it is intuitive.

I just bought a new car too, and the dealer has NO red plates. They taped a piece of paper inside the wind shield and told me the new plates would be available in 30 to 45 days. They told me that the police wouldn't bother me. ??????? I think I'll stick close to home until I have the new plates. I have a pickup truck also so that's what I'll be driving when I have to go any distance. :bigsmile:

I just bought a new car too, and the dealer has NO red plates. They taped a piece of paper inside the wind shield and told me the new plates would be available in 30 to 45 days. They told me that the police wouldn't bother me. ??????? I think I'll stick close to home until I have the new plates. I have a pickup truck also so that's what I'll be driving when I have to go any distance. :D

EXACTLY....

No Red Plates, Copy Red Plates (with no book)

Iron this out BEFORE you pony up the big Bahts

If the chiseller has no plates or plates without book..... have a long think about the level of his after sales care...then go somewhere else.

I have just purchased my third new car. One in BKK, One in Surin and One in Kamphaengphet. All were from Toyota dealers and each had a period of one to two months grace on red plates. The latest is 41 days.

I have always understood the reason for not being allowed to drive at night on red plates was the difficulty in recognising the plate identification letters and numbers in the dark.

I have just purchased my third new car. One in BKK, One in Surin and One in Kamphaengphet. All were from Toyota dealers and each had a period of one to two months grace on red plates. The latest is 41 days.

I have always understood the reason for not being allowed to drive at night on red plates was the difficulty in recognising the plate identification letters and numbers in the dark.

Did you get the registration book with the Red Plates each time?