Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 483 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

How to become an xpat- International Teaching

Hi Gang,

(Added information on the benefits of four thai International schools further down in the responses)

After reading many people asking how to live and exist in Asia/Thailand, and full of disillusion for life in the Western world I decided I'd share some of my thoughts on how this would/could occur. I've PM'd this advice

to a few people, and have seen other friends be successful following it.. Getting either closer to Thailand or in Thailand.

I've gathered this information myself (weblinks below) because teaching internationally is something I'm considering doing in the future myself. International Teaching is a way I've found one might break free to live in Thailand/overseas, or at least to be nearby and get 4 months/yr off, international teaching is how one could do it.. If you have a Bachelors degree or more, and add some teaching experience and/or a TEOFL certification then this is a possible route for you. Several of my friends have gone this route, so I know it is possible.

But, one must use the system that exists, rather than trying to contact the schools directly. The best schools in the world that hire foreign teachers don't typically hire in country, rather they recruit from International teaching fairs. Salaries range from subsistance up to 100k/yr in some of the Arab countries, which pay quite well. For jobs in Asia with a B.S. and 5 yrs experience friends of mine have found 25-45k USD/yr with no US income taxes.

Here's how the international teaching works, as several friends have explained it to me, and I've read.

You have to go to the recruiting fairs in the Western World primarily (around 2-3 a year) to get offers. The schools send recruiters to the fairs, and only hire in the abroad, not offering the good deals in country.. In other words, you cannot go there and get as good of a deal as you can at the fairs, as they'll lowball your salary and give you not benefits.

The International Teaching recruiting fairs happen at lull times for teachers usually and they go over 4 day weekends. You have to pay to attend, usually $100-300, I've never done this and have no affiliation, but I've heard that the costs pay for the fair renting of facilities to put on the international teaching fair. My one friend who went off to a fair in the midwest paid and he arranged to have another person going to share a hotel room through email/message boards provided prior to the fair, and taxis etc to the fair to cut costs. He also was able to write off all of the costs in taxes as a search for a job (don't know if this is possible in Canada or Europe), hotel, airfare, taxis, etc...

The fairs are big like 2-4 thousand people going there and usually 100 schools. Once you pay the registration fees, well in advance, they send you info on which schools will be there (usually it is the same as the year before) schools from all over the world. You then pre-arrange via email which schools/colleges to meet with daily, and have sent them your cover letter and resume/CV. When you get there save a few spots between interviews to look for unannounced schools, in case you are interested. The interviews are 5 to 30 minutes in length and commonly they will offer you a job on the spot if they want you, and give you 2-3 days to decide.. This happened to my friend who ended up going to teach in Taiwan, he had an offer the first day and accepted it at the end of the day, the next day he continued interviews and had 3 offers at schools in Thailand that paid better and all, but he'd already accepted.. So don't rush to accept, unless it is the school you want.

One fellow I know went and got a job in South America for 2 yrs, then he came back to another fair and took a job in Indonesia for 2 yrs, and now he is working in Europe. All these jobs gave him xpat salaries 35-45k/yr tax free, 3 months a year off to travel and also gave him free housing/housing allowance, dental, medical, insurance, and retirement plans that he transfered into IRAs when leaving. Some places even provide you with auto. They all transport you and a moving allowance from your home stateside to the town of the school/your new apartment, and also provide you with a free flight home to the US, or elsewhere once a year. Those are typical benefits I've heard about, but it all depends on the contract you sign. Be careful of what currency you're paid in.

Anyways enough babbling... Here are the websites you need to start off if you want to investigate this route..

Friends have recommended for me to join this site, if I decide to really go this route, if you are really serious, it's like $35 and can give you better advice than I can give (suspect tax deductible):

http://www.joyjobs.com/

My friend who got the job in Taiwan and offers in Thailand went to this fair:

http://www.uni.edu/placement/overseas/

http://www.iss.edu/

http://www.cie.uci.edu/iop/teaching.html

http://www.overseasdigest.com/jobfairs.htm

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/publicati...l_schools.shtml

http://www.tieonline.com/

http://www.teachabroad.com/search.cfm

http://www.search-associates.com/main.html

The above should all keep you busy. I know that the one my friend who got the job in Taiwan went to (UNI) above is legit. No guarantee about all of them. My buddy joined the Joyjobs above and really enjoyed the connections he established and was able to figure out how it all worked, I learned from his telling me.

Hope this helpful to all.

Cheers,

Shane

Edited by soi6
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It certainly works for me. The teaching I do in here provides me a rather luxurious lifestyle really. In fact, next week is my turn with the Martin Airlines executive jet.

what are the chances of a 34 year old carpenter living in LOS

You will have to:

1) save a lot of money

2) Come to LOS on a tourist visa

3) Meet nice Thai girl

4) Marry Thai girl

5) Set up Thai company (49% you/51% thai girl)

6) Get work permit for company to employ you (not easy)

7) Employ 2-3 local chippies

8) Provide English speaking advice to farang building houses, condos etc (kitchens, built-in wardrobes etc -

big market at the moment)

After that you are a 44 year old carpenter living in LOS :drunk

Crobe

You don't need a degree to teach in Thailand. The lack of one will reduce your options but won't disqualify you from many jobs.

While it is true that the Thailand Ministry of Education does not require a degree in order to hold a work permit for teaching, some of the province governments do have such a requirement. So, you are correct that it will reduce your options, as you cannot legally work in some provinces as a teacher without a degree or certificate.

Tell me that you are joking, and that you're not a teacher Joe.

And if you are, what do you teach?

Sarcasm from a high horse perspective... :rolleyes:

My GF was aproached by the teacher at the local school, to come in a hour a day to help the kids with their English. The teacher was willing to get a wage for her to do this.

The Education Department, wouldn't pay her as she was unqualified. Shame, she could have helped the kids and got a few baht for it. So they got no one. :D

Sarcasm from a high horse perspective... :thumbup

Believe me Jacko, it's not sarcasm.........nor rhetorical.

Teaching is something that i have pondered.My concerns are the scum who currently do it that are unqualified.My take is that these talentless scum don't just drive down salaries, but drive down the quality of education to Thai youth also.

I've observed American Joekicker, and he's a thoroughly wrong-headed distasteful human being IMO.

If he's a teacher, then i would be very disappointed (although, sadly, not suprised).............and i would want to know what he 'taught'..............empathy and world peace perhaps? :D

Teaching is something that i have pondered.My concerns are the scum who currently do it that are unqualified.My take is that these talentless scum don't just drive down salaries, but drive down the quality of education to Thai youth also.

Does the word "stereotype" ring a bell at all? Just a guess, for what it's worth: I guess you wouldn't tell us the details of your research if asked.

I've observed American Joekicker, and he's a thoroughly wrong-headed distasteful human being IMO.

I've seen more errors in one sentence before, but not recently. I'm sure you could do better. A search for clues would help, as you appear to have found none at all.

what are the chances of a 34 year old carpenter living in LOS

my guess 1/10 :allright

As long as you go through life looking at your shoes it will be 1/10. Assuming your a first rate carpenter and have picked up some skill in plumbing and electrical work. Your skill set will earn you a decent living in LOS. Go after the expat market. Guys are pulling their hair out everyday dealing with Thai contractor.

Does the word "stereotype" ring a bell at all? Just a guess, for what it's worth: I guess you wouldn't tell us the details of your research if asked.

I've seen more errors in one sentence before, but not recently. I'm sure you could do better. A search for clues would help, as you appear to have found none at all.

so, no answers from you then.

As expected.

I see that you don't dispute the content of my 'error-strewn' sentence.At least you see it yourself :allright

so, no answers from you then.

It's possible although not mandatory that I would answer a question if you asked one. If you search the dusty archives of this thread, you will see you forgot to ask one amidst the vitriol. I don't know what you get out of this, but you seem to be so consumed that you don't even know what you've previously done.

Tell me that you are joking, and that you're not a teacher Joe.

And if you are, what do you teach?

see the above?

Looks like a question to me.

You are a thick thick thick irritating American Joekicker.........and thoroughly unaccountable.

see the above?

Oh good, a game.

If I am a teacher, I teach manners. You didn't ask if I were a teacher, so I guess I don't have to tell you.

You know what? You are absolutely right. I am not accountable. Why would I be?

Great picture, don't you think? Or do you? Think, I mean.

bepolite.jpg

Oh good, a game.

post-14496-1189064217.jpg

It's not a game you fool.

Dealing with you is like dealing with a retard.

You're wrong, wrong, wrong............then you don't hold your hand up when corrected, never deal with the issue you've just been corrected on and are just another unaccountable ignorant American.

You're a waste of time..................please f*ck off forever. ( no smilie, see?)

(don't bother to reply please...........just f*ck off)

Assuming your a first rate carpenter and have picked up some skill in plumbing and electrical work. Your skill set will earn you a decent living in LOS.

Unfortunately his "skill set" is unlikely to get him a work permit. :chogdee

Unfortunately his "skill set" is unlikely to get him a work permit. :chogdee
My thoughts too, plenty of unskilled Thais working as carpenters here, well this week they might be carpenters! Anyhow wood is a dying building material. I am certainly hoping to replace it when the pet termites have done with it!

Don't set your heart on being an ex pat English teacher before you do some research and talk to some of them. The VAST majority of farang English teachers here make less than 30,000 baht a month and some of them a lot less.

You'll find that some do enjoy teaching and use that income just as a supplement to another income.