Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

How to become an xpat- International Teaching

Don't set your heart on being an ex pat English teacher before you do some research and talk to some of them. The VAST majority of farang English teachers here make less than 30,000 baht a month and some of them a lot less.

You'll find that some do enjoy teaching and use that income just as a supplement to another income.

You can say that again. No, wait, you just did! And I'm glad someone finally did.

Wandering into Thailand and teaching English is a mug's game. It's like being a vacuum cleaner salesman in the 1960s. You MIGHT get by, but you almost certainly will not enjoy your job, and you will definitely not enjoy any benefits, job security and the like. Exceptions exist, but they are few and far between. You'd do better getting into pyramid sales. Sell Revlon door to door, maybe you'll meet a nympho housewife.

Specific teaching of specific things in Thailand can be rewarding, in all senses of the word. Most teaching jobs worth shix are in uni. Of course, being an unpaid volunteer teacher at the orphanage can be very rewarding.

But the teaching-English game is not a good one if you're planning on eating regularly and getting out of the rain. The supply vastly outstrips the demand, and the supply is treated very badly. And here's the worst part. If you're actually a GOOD teacher, the schools don't care, they'll treat you like the crap-teachers anyhow. You get screwed but you never get kissed.

Only confirmed masochists should apply.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, the teachers are still treated like shit but the uniforms make up for it. grin

My IMPRESSION is that if you don't teach English, you do okay. If you teach physics or history or engineering, it's a decent job. That's an opinion based on anecdotes only.

Also the real and qualified teachers who teach real subjects (not pidgin) in real schools often seem to enjoy their work. Most are in international schools these days, I think, but there are some in Thai schools, especially the elite ones.

Edited by joekicker
My IMPRESSION is that if you don't teach English, you do okay. If you teach physics or history or engineering, it's a decent job. That's an opinion based on anecdotes only.

Also the real and qualified teachers who teach real subjects (not pidgin) in real schools often seem to enjoy their work. Most are in international schools these days, I think, but there are some in Thai schools, especially the elite ones.

It depends on how far up the food chain you are teaching. From general programmes in government shools through English/Mini-English programmes to the bilingual and international schools and corporate work.

Both the Marriott in Hua Hin and the Amari on Koh Chang have advertised for in-house English trainers in the last week or so. I can think of worse ways to make a living in LOS. ;)

Edited by CheshireTom
Both the Marriott in Hua Hin and the Amari on Koh Chang have advertised for in-house English trainers in the last week or so. I can think of worse ways to make a living in LOS. unsure:

I have a friend who has been doing this for... hmmm must be 25, going on 30 years. Hotels are his big business, but he does other companies. Makes a decent living, has some very good academic connections, lives in Isan when he's paying, and anywhere else in Thailand when someone else is. He was one of the original freelancers who carved out a niche and just stayed in it. I think there are not a lot of people who do this, but if you have some sticktoitiveness you can do okay for sure.

Plus you don't have to put up with bored kids for a whole year at a time.

How to become an expat ??Do have a really good friend in the uk you can trust ? then E-bay is the business

i,m not going to say much more on this,and i know some risks are there ,but if you are smart and have the know how a business is ther for you!

Joekicker -

You're right, teaching physics/history/math etc.. common courses in the west are the better paying occupations for international teaching. The original posting was really aimed at those willing to make a committment to a way to get to Thailand/out of their homecountry, and what is needed is teachers certification. This takes 1-2 yrs in the states, or is part of a teaching degree (4 yr). With this one can

get the better international teaching positions, typically teaching schools of the thai/farang upper class, or even teach at Universities if one has a Phd or M.S. with lots of teaching experience.

The Teofl is a quick way to use ones english ability to be able to get a job in thailand, but these positions are not as good as those a real and qualified western certified teacher can get internationally.

Cheers,

Shane

The original posting was really aimed at those willing to make a committment to a way to get to Thailand/out of their homecountry, and what is needed is teachers certification. This takes 1-2 yrs in the states, or is part of a teaching degree (4 yr). With this one can

get the better international teaching positions, typically teaching schools of the thai/farang upper class, or even teach at Universities if one has a Phd or M.S. with lots of teaching experience.

Thai universities don't pay particularly good wages and very few of the folks that I know who work in that particular sphere have teacher certification. A TEFL certificate and, in most cases, a degree is all that's needed.

To get the better positions in international schools or larger corporations the emphasis is on teaching experience.

Thai universities don't pay particularly good wages and very few of the folks that I know who work in that particular sphere have teacher certification. A TEFL certificate and, in most cases, a degree is all that's needed.

To get the better positions in international schools or larger corporations the emphasis is on teaching experience.

Correct on this. The Universities are the lowest payers in the education system. Government High Schools pay more and of course International schools are the highest.

Gang,

I agree, not universities for Thailand, best positions are indeed international schools for which one most of the time needs certification and teaching experience from the west.

I've been looking thru the Booklet of Salary and Benefits /Selection Criteria for the 2005 International Recruitment Center (ISS co), it's a 80pg booklet of descriptions of the most recent teacher's salarys and benefits data and screening criteria for the (~270 international) schools that attended.

Four Thai schools attended and they are all International schools, no universites.

salaries listed ranged from 23-50k/USD yr.

Here are the Thai International schools listed that attended, I'll type the information in the booklet as it states, I cannot provide any further details on these 2005 numbers from the Booklet -

International School of Bangkok

Contract length- 2 yr.

Reporting date- August

Requirements - BA Degree, certification required

Salary Data - 36 - 50 k USD, 36- BA+Cert+0 yrs exp, 50 - Ph.D. +cert+5yrs exp.

local taxes - 20-25%

Allowances - Baggage/Shipping 1500 cu pounds sea freight/single; 200 for family.

Additional Benefits- Sick Leave, retirement plan, 100% tuition for resident dependent children

Insurance- Health, Dental, Life, Long Term Disability

Housing- Furnished Housing provided

Visa Data- Visa procurement assistance provided

Additional Details- Yearly home leave allowance for teacher and dependents

Redeemer International School (Bangkok)

Contract length- 2 yr.

Reporting date- August

Requirements - BA Degree, 2 yrs experience required, certification required

Salary Data - 23 - 28.5 k USD

local taxes - 10-30%

Allowances - 770 USD for relocation

Additional Benefits- Sick Leave, retirement plan, tuition for resident dependent children, contract completion bonus, contract renewal bonus

Insurance- Health

Housing- Housing allowance $4615 USD

Additional Details- round trip home annually, round trip at begining and end of contract, Contract renewal bonus: double-step increase every 4th yr. Contract completion bonus: one months salary on continuing 3rd yr., less than 5% tuition/all resident children. $1282 USD Signing bonus, Attendance Incentive provided, Professional Development fund available.

Ruamrudee International School (Bangkok)

Contract length- 2 yr.

Reporting date- August

Salary Data - 23 - 28.5 k USD

local taxes - 10-30%

Allowances - 770 USD for relocation

Additional Benefits- Sick Leave, retirement plan, tuition for resident dependent children, contract completion bonus, contract renewal bonus

Insurance- Health

Housing- Housing allowance $4615 USD

Additional Details- round trip home annually, round trip at begining and end of contract, Contract renewal bonus: double-step increase every 4th yr. Contract completion bonus: one months salary on continuing 3rd yr., less than 5% tuition/all resident children. $1282 USD Signing bonus, Attendance Incentive provided, Professional Development fund available.

International School Eastern Seaboard (Pattaya)

Contract length- 2 yr.

Reporting date- August

Salary Data - 29.75 - 46 k USD (salary paid in Baht with Thai government COLA)

local taxes - 25% local taxes after 2 yrs.

Allowances - 1500 USD single/ 2000 USD family for relocation

Additional Benefits- Sick Leave, 100% tuition for up to 3 resident dependent children

Insurance- Health, Dental, Life, Long Term Disability

Housing- Unfurnished Housing provided;new hire selects housing; Housing allowance - $500/single;$1k family

Additional Details- contract completion bonus $1k, round trip at begining and end of contract, transportation for dependents.

Anyways, I hope that clarifies and helps those out there who are looking for ways to move to thailand.

Specific teaching of specific things in Thailand can be rewarding, in all senses of the word.

So you have taught in Thailand then?

Most teaching jobs worth shix are in uni.

They pay the worst. I will give you an example. Regular teacher 30K per month. Director 120k per month

But the teaching-English game is not a good one if you're planning on eating regularly

Its a base income. Most guys I know in Bangkok have private students at 300 Baht per hour each. One guy I know opened a language school in that way. He rakes in just over 100k per month just from weekends.

The supply vastly outstrips the demand, and the supply is treated very badly.

I don't think you know much about the circuit outside of what one person is telling you. I have a friend who runs a recruitment agency. Over the past year his business went down and he closed up shop. There is a shortage of teachers. There has been a shortage for the past 3 years.

If you're actually a GOOD teacher, the schools don't care, they'll treat you like the crap-teachers anyhow. You get screwed but you never get kissed.

You see this is the part that I find funny. Touristman said

"My concerns are the scum who currently do it that are unqualified.My take is that these talentless scum don't just drive down salaries, but drive down the quality of education to Thai youth also."

The point is that if you treat people like shit and pay what is essentially less money than what most basic Chinese schools are paying then what do you expect? There is no real market economy in the teaching game. Even over the 3 year shortage, the salary levels have remained the same. Demand and supply does not always factor into the Thai mentality.

Only confirmed masochists should apply.

I concur.

some good input in this thread, and knowlegable guys who are sorting the wheat from the chaff...........i certainly appreciate it.

=================================================================

Aqua4, you seem to know what you're talking about........Is there any value in taking a CELTA course over a TEFLA (or similar level) from the Thai perception?????Will taking a CELTA result in more cash or me getting the job over a TEFLA certificate holder?........from the Thai perspective.

Also, there is at least some advantage in demand outstripping supply..........surely.There must be pleny of jobs to choose from (location and conditions come to the fore), even if the salaries aren't increased.

And if the salaries haven't increased and more English teachers are required, are schools closing their English depts. / classes?Someone must be teaching these children.........and if they can't attract English teachers the they MUST EVENTUALLY pay more.Thailand may not be a first world market economy, but they must at least be on knodding terms with market economics because you can't opt out unless you close the schools / classes..........English teachers are needed!What are your thoughts on this?

I think that long term, with the new Thai middle class and Thai competitive 'face', prospects are fairly good for decent English teachers.More private schools will open and more middle class Thais will want to enrol their children in these places.I don't think that it's a good thing neccessarily, but i think that it will happen.

p.s.........anyone feel free to address these points. :behead

some good input in this thread, and knowlegable guys who are sorting the wheat from the chaff...........i certainly appreciate it.

Aqua4, you seem to know what you're talking about........Is there any value in taking a CELTA course over a TEFLA (or similar level) from the Thai perception?????Will taking a CELTA result in more cash or me getting the job over a TEFLA certificate holder?........from the Thai perspective.

Also, there is at least some advantage in demand outstripping supply..........surely.There must be pleny of jobs to choose from (location and conditions come to the fore), even if the salaries aren't increased.

And if the salaries haven't increased and more English teachers are required, are schools closing their English depts. / classes?Someone must be teaching these children.........and if they can't attract English teachers the they MUST EVENTUALLY pay more.Thailand may not be a first world market economy, but they must at least be on knodding terms with market economics because you can't opt out unless you close the schools / classes..........English teachers are needed!What are your thoughts on this?

I think that long term, with the new Thai middle class and Thai competitive 'face', prospects are fairly good for decent English teachers.More private schools will open and more middle class Thais will want to enrol their children in these places.I don't think that it's a good thing neccessarily, but i think that it will happen.

p.s.........anyone feel free to address these points. :D

I have not seen any difference between a CELTA and a TEFL. Most people that I have met who hire are more familiar with the TEFL.

There is a shortage and the biggest need therefore has gravitated to the lower paying and country schools. When a Thai school does not have a native speaker, they fill in with any English speaking foreigner or the Thai English teacher takes the class until one is found. Somebody mentioned teaching private lessons to supplement income and mentioned 300 baht per hour. I have been doing this for a few years now and get between 500 and 750 per hour depending on the deal that I negotiate. 300 baht per hour is for a total newbie or through a language school.

CELTA/DELTA would probably give you the edge over a TEFL holder if you were going for corporate work or applying through somewhere like The British Council. The major advantage of holding a CELTA (and/or a Trinity/Cambridge isssued TEFL as opposed to a certificate issued by a Thai-based provider) is that it would give you greater flexibility if you decide to teach outside Thailand, particularly the Middle East

The basic salary at a Thai government school (outside of Bangkok) is likely to be 30k (it tends to be less in Chonburi and Chiang Mai, presumable because there are lots of applicants in those two areas. There is significant flexibility to be found in the actual number of hours you teach and whether or not you are required to attend the school during opening times. I teach 10 hours a week at a school in Songkhla and am free to come and go as I choose even although my contract is for a maximum 20 hours. My biggest cost is accommodation (10k per month for a brand new 3 bed, 3 bath house). I have a decent military pension from the UK but the reality is that I live quite comfortably on the 30 k from teaching and save my pension. I wouldn't want to be teaching here if the salary was my only or main source of income though,

The fall back position for the schools is to hire Filipino/Indian/African teachers i.e. folk who are not native speakers from UK/US/Canada/Aus/NZ.

There are threads on Ajarn.com that go on and on about different perceptions of what the future holds. My own personal view is that Thais will still want their kids to have additional English tuition (the face thing, rather than an academic choice). The major shift, I believe, will be the number of folk electing to learn Chinese rather than English. That shift has already begun with the Chinese sending over teachers by the hundred. My own plan is to move to Vietnam next year simply to experience the country and, I believe, the students have more motivation to learn than their Thai counterparts.

If I was to offer any advice it would be to research the industry in Thailand quite thoroughly before commiting yourself. There are a lot of rogue employers/agencies around that are best avoided and they aren't all Thai by any stretch of the imagination.

If you have any questions about my own experience of moving here, feel free to ask.

Tom

Great input Tom. I don't believe the desire to learn Chinese will significantly impact the demand for English teachers. English is the language of business. Hong Kong business is mostly done in English. It is a difficult language to learn, but English is firmly intertwined with international business and the demand for competent native English teachers will remain high.

Great input Tom. I don't believe the desire to learn Chinese will significantly impact the demand for English teachers. English is the language of business. Hong Kong business is mostly done in English. It is a difficult language to learn, but English is firmly intertwined with international business and the demand for competent native English teachers will remain high.

I generally agree but I was referring more to the extreme parts of Isaan where there is direct, overland trade with China. That's the area where the first batch (400 if I remember correctly) of Chinese teachers were headed.

If I was to offer any advice it would be to research the industry in Thailand quite thoroughly before commiting yourself. There are a lot of rogue employers/agencies around that are best avoided and they aren't all Thai by any stretch of the imagination.

The above should be required to appear as every third post in this thread. Just lovely.

On Chinese, I'm a little laid-back. This all happed from Taiwan in the past. Yes it is different times, but most Thais still think how locked-in and limited you are with Chinese. It's about the same as Japanese, which also was a fad language in the 1970s when Japan was obviously going to be the world's biggest economic power.

cheers Tom, quality post as always...............i appreciate it. :bigsmile:

I'll check out Ajarn.com too, and see if i can get round to actually putting a deposit down on the CELTA course.As you say, it's internationally respected so will be a useful additional string to the bow even if i don't utilise it in Thailand.

My Dad recommended that i learn Mandarin, but once i explained that it would mean me dealing with the Chinese he understood my reservations 2guns .Seriously, the Chinese have many languages don't they?I wouldn't be suprised if the Chinese started learning English as their business language to fit in, rather than the world start learning different Chinese dialects..........which would mean even more need for English teachers.With India using English, America and Europe using English, and even the Aussies (supplying the raw minerals for China) trying to speak English, then there is good incentive for the Chinese to 'come on board' too :D .

I'll check out Ajarn.com too, and see if i can get round to actually putting a deposit down on the CELTA course.As you say, it's internationally respected so will be a useful additional string to the bow even if i don't utilise it in Thailand.

touristman,

Don't underestimate the CELTA courses. They, unlike many of the TEFL courses, are fairly intensive and you do need a good grasp of English grammar/usage. There are a few sites that have downloadable examples of the pre-course exercise that you need to undertake prior to being accepted on a course (ECC Thailand, Elite and International House Vietnam are three off the top of my head).

I'll put together a post recounting some of the issues that I faced during my move here. It may prove useful or perhaps highlight some things that you may have not yet considered.

Tom

touristman,

Don't underestimate the CELTA courses. They, unlike many of the TEFL courses, are fairly intensive and you do need a good grasp of English grammar/usage. There are a few sites that have downloadable examples of the pre-course exercise that you need to undertake prior to being accepted on a course (ECC Thailand, Elite and International House Vietnam are three off the top of my head).

I'll put together a post recounting some of the issues that I faced during my move here. It may prove useful or perhaps highlight some things that you may have not yet considered.

Tom

Fair comment regarding the CELTA courses.I actually went to Chiang Mai and spoke to the course leader there regarding the course.She gave me the documents that you speak of, and after looking at them i would agree that it is intensive and that i would need to brush up (or learn for the first time!!!!!) on my grammer, punctuation and general knowlege of words and sentence structure.Getting the answers correct on their exercise was okay, but EXPLAINING WHY was stretching (feel free to take the piss) :lol:

I'm 35 now, and went to a comprehensive school in England.We never learned about adverbs, pronouns and all that stuff that an older generation (my Dad) would know about.I hope that it wasn't just my shitty school, but i don't think that it was because we weren't tested on any of this stuff come exam time.One thing is for sure,i wish i had done the PGCE (majoring in Maths) at Leeds Uni that i had been accepted for over a decade ago.The Govt were paying for the course and living expenses, and giving 5000 GBP upon qualifying after teaching for 6 months (shortage of maths / science teachers 13 years ago).Foolishly, i backed out with 3 days to go (still feel guilty about that) to stay in my new job in London.Bastard!If i had done that course then i would have the pick of teaching positions in Thailand it seems.I remember looking at the qualifications of farang staff at a few top schools in Bangkok / Chonburi, on the internet, and from memory about 90 % had either their Degree in Education, or had done a PGCE for a year!!!!!!!Bugger! It seemed like TEFLA just didn't cut it at these places.

Anyway, point being that i agree that CELTA is a substantial course and should be treated with respect.It's also US$1400 with no guarantee of a pass (no nods and winks here), so shouldn't be taken lightly.I'm thinking of going home to Blighty next January to see the family and renew the visa, maybe reading up on English for a few weeks and then coming back to take the CELTA course in Feb or March 08.......................and it's all good quality information to me Tom, and i appreciate the insight into your experiences.

Is there any value in taking a CELTA course over a TEFLA (or similar level) from the Thai perception?

Thai's don't know the difference and it only comes into play as Tom says when you apply for a vacancy at a farang organisation. They would know the difference. Thai's tend to look at your resume and check where you have taught. If you have brand name schools or a university on your resume, your doors open wide. They would be willing to negotiate.

Also, there is at least some advantage in demand outstripping supply..........surely.

We use to call it the Mini Mart mentality. When they did not like a teacher for what ever reason, they would send them back and say, "No like, send new farang". In their heads Thailand is the utopia of teaching. You cannot beat that mentality. They think people are lining up to teach here when in reality they are scraping the bottom of the barrel. There is nobody for a number of reasons. The better work force to hit is when you would recruit people who are married to a Thai. They tend to have their heads better set than the blow in tourist wanting to teach for Nana money and booze.

And if the salaries haven't increased and more English teachers are required, are schools closing their English depts.

Some have closed certain programs. Remember these IEP (Intensive English Programs) are cash cows for many schools. They turn over a huge amount of money. With the shortage they turn to mainly Filipino teachers, but parents complain when they are paying big money and their kids speak with a Tagalog accent or mispronounce many of the words. You cannot justify the cost of the program and you feeding them what they view as second rate English. This is the primary reason why some schools expect the white faces to stand at the gate in the morning to greet the parents. They need to justify the fees they charge.

As one parent once told me at a bilingual school when we went to collect a farang, that she thought that the fact that Thailand was "never" colonised has given them this false impression that they have succeeded where others had not. Yet, when looking back she notes that many of the colonised countries speak good English compared to Thai's and more of their citizens work abroad. She was referring to Filipino's and the Indian's.

I asked her about the difference between the Western and the Asian teachers. She remarked that she sent her daughter to a school, and was paying 7k per month in fees. They had a Pitstop garage and sold tires for a living. The fees were expensive to them but she wanted the child to learn more than English. She wanted her daughter to learn a different way of thinking. There was no point in speaking English when you could not understand Western culture or norms because you would ultimately have to deal with farangs in business. You learn Thai at home. You come to do business in Thailand. You think you make money? No she said, because you don't understand how Thai people think or how they do business even when you speak Thai. Same English. The middle class view in Thailand is changing!

Some government schools tried to substitute Thai teachers to teach English but according to the last Thai Government English Proficiency Exam, 70% of the English Thai teachers failed their English exams. Some scoring 2 out of 100. They are suppose to be the government school English teachers.

It is not as if there is no money. Outside of the school subsidy based on a per head count of the students, the 'better" schools also get a 35,000 Baht a month budget to hire a farang teacher. What they do is to try and hire a Filipino and cream the budget as they pay them 10-15,000 a month. I have a friend from the UK who was asked by his daughters school to come and teach full time. When he asked them how much they told him 15K a month. He asked what about the other money as he knows how much the government gives, they said that the director has "other" expenses to pay.

The system is broken and what the government puts in, does not always reach the ground. As for the bilingual schools, middle class Thai's want value for their money now however they have bucked the system for so long, it might takes years to repair.

I think that long term, with the new Thai middle class and Thai competitive 'face', prospects are fairly good for decent English teachers.

You are correct, however the middle class also knows that there is far better prospects when you can get a handle on English. Thai's are not that stupid, that they do not realise that their degrees are essentially worthless (considering their no fail policies in education) and you will always note, that those with the money will always get a further degree at a Western university. In order to do that, you would need to speak some form of English.

It is a slow change, but a change!

Coincidentally, there was a full page spread in today's Bangkok Post on this subject. You could pass opinion on some of the content but, essentially, it makes several valid points.

Zealous to speak English

The low English competency of Thai students nationwide will remain

unacceptable unless teaching methods drastically change

Story by WEENA NOPPAKUNTHONG

As a result of the low English test scores on the recent Ordinary National Educational Test (O-net), deputy secretary-general Dr Somkiart Chobphol of the Office of the Basic Education Commission announced that for the 2008 academic year the commission may increase classroom time for English and other core subjects of the national curriculum.

Such a move indicates the government's immediate attempt to tackle the low English competency among Thai students, but it still overlooks the antiquated and ineffective methods used to teach English in Thai classrooms.

English in Thai classrooms

Instead of teaching Thai students English in the way a language is naturally learned -starting from listening and speaking and moving to reading and writing - Thailand's current education system takes the opposite approach and starts with writing, says Thongchai Yenprasert, Nonthaburi Provincial Administration Organization (NPAO) president.

Moreover, our national tests emphasize grammar skills and neglect English conversation skills.

Thongchai urges the Education Ministry to seriously consider why many Thai college graduates still struggle to communicate with foreigners, despite having been intensively taught grammar rules at school for years.

In order to push Thai students to be competent in English, the NPAO is currently funding the Ramkhamhaeng Nonthaburi English Teachers Project, which supplies native and proficient English speakers to teach Prathom 1 to Matthayom 6 level (Grades 1 to 12) students in nearly 80 government schools using the realistic approach of encouraging youths to first speak the language.

Reluctant to speak

A majority of Thai teachers choose to speak Thai while teaching English because they do not speak English well, which means the students do not have a role model, says project director Lawrie Whitmore.

Students know their Thai teachers will translate everything into Thai if they fail to comprehend a point in the lesson. As a result, pupils are robbed of opportunities to listen to and comprehend spoken English. And because the teacher explains in Thai, there is never a need for the student to exert an effort to speak English to their Thai teachers, says Tanawan Kaewpan, head of the foreign language department of Bang Bua Thong School in Nonthaburi province.

Younger students are reluctant to speak English because they do not see it as relevant to their lives, says Whitmore. Many students will not realize the relevance until they enter the workforce.

He adds that Thai youngsters are also reluctant to speak English because of the fear of making mistakes and `losing face' (being embarrassed) if they mispronounce a word or use incorrect grammar.

Competition breeds motivation

The Ramkhamhaeng Nonthaburi English Teachers Project has organized the Ramkhamhaeng Nonthaburi English Competitions to encourage Thai youths to speak English. The key asset of the competition is the use of fun ways for students to learn and to overcome their fear while speaking English.

Nearly 1,500 primary and secondary school students from 70 government schools in Nonthaburi province joined the three-day event. The competition was arranged in various categories of interests that included: word scrabble, poetry, choir, vocal solos, trivia questions and answers, storytelling, drama, television newscasting, chants and cooking.

There is widespread enthusiasm among students because the competition allows them to use English to do things they are interested in, while emphasizing their speaking and listening skills. Because the competition allows students to compete in areas of their interest, speaking English naturally becomes more relevant to them. Making English relevant, is a component often missing in the classroom.

The competition is open to all students, regardless of their English speaking abilities. There is no discrimination on the basis of English competency. The only requirements are a desire to use, speak and comprehend English.

Relevancy is key to success

Woraya Sintanapaisan, a Grade 6 student at Wat Klong Khunsri School, likes to read. She competes in the storytelling division and captivates the audience by impersonating each character of her story, whether it is a girl, a butterfly or a spider.

Woraya is marked on how she projects her voice, the clarity of her speech, her storytelling skills, and dramatic expression, all of which she has clearly mastered.

Although very fluent in her delivery, Woraya says she still wants to improve her accent. She is fortunate to be regularly exposed to English outside her classroom, as she talks daily to foreign customers who shop at her family's small food business.

``I just talk, even though I might make a mistake,'' says Woraya, adding that her confidence comes from reading many books in English, some with Thai translations.

After singing the song ``I Will Always Love You'', Ravikorn Sayamipakdi, a Grade 11 student from Suankularb Witayalai Nonthaburi School, comments that the singing competition motivates her to practice English. She says she often learns new English vocabulary by listening to English songs and trying to understand their meaning from the context within the song.

``You can let others teach you (English), but if you don't try on your own, then there is no use,'' says Ravikorn, before she is greeted by a throng of primary grade students who lined up to ask for her autograph after her stunning performance.

For the television newscast competition, one challenge for students is the lack of a teleprompter often used by news anchors in newsrooms. The absence of a teleprompter means that students often have to memorize the majority of their news stories. Some primary school students visibly struggled to recall the bulk of their news story from memory, but they stoically pushed on to the end with a positive and ``can do'' attitude. Many secondary school students possess the confidence and the delivery style of professional anchorpersons. Students receive awards certificates for first, second and third place finishes in each category of the competition, while the rest of the students receive a certificate for participating in the competition.

Lack of teachers and funding

English cannot be taught effectively nationwide unless the country has the right people to do the job. Many small schools across the country lack funds to hire a sufficient number of teachers. The resulting teacher shortage means that teachers are often pressured to teach subjects beyond their area of expertise.

Those pressured to teach English feel it's safer to strictly follow the repetition drills or vocabulary lists in textbooks, and to have students copy what they write on the board, says Melvyn Sharman, assistant director of Ramkhamhaeng Institute of Languages at Ramkamhaeng University, which is responsible for the NPAO project.

Many Thai graduates who are highly competent in English opt to work in private companies, as opposed to becoming state school teachers because there are more career opportunities and greater salary increases, says Thongchai, who is concerned that this trend will lead to a shortage of quality teachers in the near future.

Government schools lack funds to hire teachers or to improve their school's quality, and the budget request process of the Education Ministry is too slow and elaborate. As a consequence, schools often directly approach their provincial administration organization and ask for funding for a project, he adds.

Realistic approach

Whitmore says other provinces have expressed interest in implementing similar projects. In an effort to demonstrate the efficacy of the Ramkhamhaeng Nonthaburi English Teachers Project, he plans to conduct a random survey of English speaking and listening skills of students in Nonthaburi schools and compare the results to surveys taken in other provinces. He anticipates that there will be an enormous improvement in the English ability of students in schools that participate in the project.

The education of Thailand's children cannot wait for a new government to be elected at the end of the year. This project is an excellent example of how concerned people, who are willing to start at the root of an obvious problem, can teach English effectively in Thai schools without having to wait for an approved plan of attack to officially come through the Ministry of Education.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a degree and are set on TEFL teaching in thailand on a long term basis then don't fuck around with CELTA/TESOL one month certificate. Get some dosh together and do a Masters in Applied linguistics. This qualification, combined with some teaching experience will get you into thai universities, instructor jobs at CELTA/TESOL courses, and management positions at private language schools. If you don't have a degree and are planning on teaching in thailand on the back of a one month course you are setting yourself up for a big fall.

CELTA should not be lumped in with bozo one-month courses.

It is a brutal month of work and sleep. At the end you know your stuff. People actually flunk which is a new experience for most people under 30.

That said, its not necessary for working in Siam as standards are low although it will be a big help.

MAs in Appl. Linguistics are fine but after age 25 who has 12-18 months plus the $ to do it?

It is true in Siam you will be treated the same whether you are a drunk backpacking dropout or a qualified and experienced teacher and even 50k baht a month in BKK means a crappy lifestyle.

Best bet IMO? Uni or rajabhat in a nice provincial town/city like Khon Kaen. Pattaya and Chiang Mai pay crap because too many people want to be there.

Base salary is 30K in unis but the big advanage is usually less than 15 contact hours a week which is easy if you know what you are doing (contact hours are the key statistic, anything over 20/week leaves you tired). This pays the bills very nicely upcountry and leaves lots of time and energy for good-paying private lessons, so with a bit of effort you can make 50K a month with living costs 50% of Bangkok or less... and plenty of almost-free cooze.

One guy I know just used to put his e-mail addy on the blackboard and tell them if they had questions just e-mail. You know the rest.

Edited by JohnnyK