Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

They manage because there is canal-side infrastructure, same Am'dam, Toulouse and other places.

I suspect that doesn't exist in LoS other than at marinas where mooring charges are probably quite high (keeps the non-yacht riffraff out).

This winter he did, just a few hundred yards from where I now sit. :rolleyes:

Poor Herbert. Sitting in los, waiting far a winter that never comes, so he can walk on the lake. :cry1 Its a dogs life :rolleyes:

They manage because there is canal-side infrastructure, same Am'dam, Toulouse and other places.

You mean a path ?

That's all there is if you walk along the Grand Union. Walk along the towpath from Islington High Street and you will pass several occupied narrow boats. No car parking, no water or electric hook-ups, no cable TV...... They do have a decent real ale pub- The Wenlock Arms. I met an old sort in there who worked for the Queen. Fair sort for her age. Had a weird Gaelic name. Blimey ! I am wandering again, it must be the sailor in me- yak- yak. :rolleyes:

There was an interesting post on the forum of the Bangkok Post, suggesting that a Ferang could buy a Houseboat in which to live. No land would be required, just the access over someones land at a reasonable rent. This could be on a river or lake somewhere. If it had an engine, you could move about and have some change of scenery. Another suggestion was a motorhome or large caravan with electric hook up etc on a farm or similar.

A boat conversion would be needed in LOS,as houseboats are not usually on the market. So you Englishmen, when you ask a BG if she would like to 'spend the weekend on your boat', it could have an entirely different meaning.

My main concerns about either, would be security of boat or van. There is also the Mozie problem being near the water, but that goes for anywhere outside a city I guess.

Anyway, it seemed a feasible option, to the 'owning land' problem. Hey you might be able to do it as a single bloke.

When you die they just set fire to the thing, with you inside it- another saving ! :rolleyes:

??? :rolleyes:

Poor Herbert. Sitting in los, waiting far a winter that never comes, so he can walk on the lake. :cry1 Its a dogs life :rolleyes:

Did I mention he loves to swim ?

The only problem is, when he jumps in to play 'catch me if you can' with his mate the Heron, the swans attack him. The last time, one of them stomped on him while he was swimming back to the shore. Luckily I am a dead shot with a pebble and made them swim away. The ducks like him and follow him across the water, but are no match for the swans. :rolleyes:

Oh well, if you want live like it's Miami and can't get around a few minor details, I can't help you. :D

There are hundreds of residential canal boats, in the U.K. including on London canals. How do they manage it ? 1luv

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they pay rent wherever they are moored. Most places waterways in first world countries have a limit as to how long you can simply hang around without paying rent. Sounds crazy, but it's true. Even in the Miami area you used to be able to just anchor out and live aboard, now that is all changing.

I'm reasonably sure the London canals are designated "no discharge zones", meaning you have to have a way to get rid of your sewage or face BIG fines.

I live part time on my sailboat and pay about US$1000 for six months mooring, this includes: a place park my car, a dock for my dinghy a dumpster for trash, hook up and charge my batts, fill my water tanks, tie up to a dock for a few hours if needed, empty out my sewage. Hardly expensive. For another fee I could have wifi.

I was ass u ming that Thailand would be about the same price or maybe cheaper.

I can't imagine living aboard and not having a way to at least fill my water tanks and tie up for routine maintanance.

Try telling Herbert not to do the back stroke. Swans hate show offs :D

Had he been doing the backstroke, Mr swan would have got more than he bargained for. Herb is not one to shy away from a punch up. That swan would have to be counting his toes, when he got back to his nest. :rolleyes:

Since they don't have tornados in Pattaya, what about an American mobile home.

Exactly. Now your talking ! :allright

No doubt some old Fogey will put an obsticle in the way.

Since they don't have tornados in Pattaya, what about an American mobile home.

I was thinking in the same lines a few years ago and from what I was told it would be next to impossible. lumber/wood is too expensive in Thailand, termites would have you homeless within a few years, only farangs would possibly purchase one (Thai's like cement, last forever). Then comes next problem of where you wanna park the thing. The mobile homes in America are really nice and look better than many houses I've seen, they just have a very poor resale value.

Edited by captcraig2
OK, I'll bite.

Everything you own, in one box, on wheels. :D

Thanks for stepping forward Brian. not everyone can be an Old Fogey and get away with it. :allright