Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Ten shocking World Cup moments

I always liked this video of guys taking dives in the "beautiful game". :banghead

Don't anyone tell Vic or he'll start another ten page topic :banghead

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't . I'm just pointing out

Irony gets a name - Obsession.

That's what I was doing, Mr O. Just pointing out.

Irony gets a name - Obsession.

That's what I was doing, Mr O. Just pointing out.

I'm gonna bookmark this thread for future reference. :D :allright

Have we gotten to 2/9 yet?

Unique means "one" and only one. I instantly thought of Singapore. Wouldn't surprise me if there are others but I'm lazy. You're not unique. Singapore's four nationalities with a common language revel in being ONE country, and you don't, so THAT part is unique. Maybe.

I'll not rub it in that your "four different nationalities" live on TWO islands, not just one tiny one. I won't rub it in a lot anyhow. (But I will hold it in reserve, just in case.)

Or do you mean England, Wales, Scotland and Manchester United?

But really. What's up with that Olympics thing, one team for four countries, isn't that unfair to the rest of the world? Even Korea has two teams.

O.k Joe

Describe what you consider a typical Brit', that would cover us all.

Our two tiny islands combined, would get lost in Texas or Lake Superior...... ;)

England, Wales, Scotland and Liverpool, would be more like it.

Has Singapore had wars between it's four Nationalities, going back centuries, that still exist in the memory ?

Are three of them combined together even today to hate the fourth ? Did they have a potato famine and Highland clearing, that was blamed on the one common enemy ? Have they had terrorist bombings for the last three decades ?

We have a unique history, that dictates how we are today. It is still evolving- or devolving.... Does Singapore have four seats of government ?

Korea, has two governments too, not to mention a bit of aggro about a torpedoed naval boat. :beer

Describe what you consider a typical Brit', that would cover us all.

One, It wouldn't occur to me to do it, I'm just not a stereotyping kind of guy in a serious discussion. (I don't mind joking about them, though.)

Two. Singapore has never had a potato famine and never will have one. Ever. But it DOES have four nationalities and languages, lah.

Our two tiny islands combined, would get lost in Texas or Lake Superior...... unsure

I don't quite catch your point. Countries are small, tiny, large, huge.... they ALL have regions and they ALL have differences and probably most of them aside from the Vatican have separatists. I think the typical Brit is admirable about his regionalism and nationalism and all.

See what I mean about joking about stereotypes? But it's true, right?

Has Singapore had wars between it's four Nationalities, going back centuries, that still exist in the memory ?

Seriously, I think you mean "in history", and we know who writes history, eh? Trust me here: You (or I) don't actually remember what happened centuries ago. Really we don't. We only remember the biases, the hatreds, the racism, the wrongs, the assaults and much more that we learned at our mother's knee. Or some other joint.

But does Singapore, put forward five teams to qualify for the football World Cup and four for the Rugby ?

When you drive from one nation of Singapore, to another, do you cross borders, with a road sign welcoming you to the equivalent of Scotland ? The Welsh one, is in two languages, as are all the road signs.

Scotland has different laws from England and Wales. They have a Sheriff court system. The Isle of Man- there's one you missed. :rolleyes: had birching as a punishment up to only a few years ago. It took years of campaigning by the Liberals to ban it. ( I wonder if the crime rate went up ? )

Vic really should try and catch the Isle of Man T.T on all this week. Racing on public roads, with walls and buildings close by. 200mph !- cameras on the bikes back and front...... and they are mostly amatuers. Try and tell me that is not a real sport.

I think you have to live here to get our prospective of being separate peoples.

As for the British Olympics team. It is perhaps due to the lack of interest in the track and field sports that make us combine, to put enough people to compete every four years. We seem to be good at sitting down sports for some reason !

Despite what the Scot's say about Andy Murray being British only when he wins. That young English teenager Robson, is only ever described as British in the media= win or lose ! :rolleyes:

Edited by nidnoyham
I'll not rub it in that your "four different nationalities" live on TWO islands, not just one tiny one. I won't rub it in a lot anyhow. (But I will hold it in reserve, just in case.)

Thinking about it joe, it's a lot more than TWO islands- Isles of Man, Sheppy, Wight, Gernsey, Jersey, Sark, Orkney, Shetlands... blimey we are a huge place ! :banghead

Despite what the Scot's say about Andy Murray being British only when he wins. That young English teenager Robson, is only ever described as British in the media= win or lose ! :devil

Surely you mean the young Australian teenager ..... :rolleyes: :allright

Thinking about it joe, it's a lot more than TWO islands- Isles of Man, Sheppy, Wight, Gernsey, Jersey, Sark, Orkney, Shetlands... blimey we are a huge place ! rolleyes

Yeah, that was another thing I didn't rub in.

But does Singapore, put forward five teams to qualify for the football World Cup and four for the Rugby ?

Er, that was my point -- that NOT having them is their strong point.

But listen, you have refused to say why your huge number of islands have one Olympic team, presenting a massively unfair advantage to the rest of the world with their piddly little one team from ONE nation - not to mention your bullying armed forces, ganging up four different countries into one army.

Thinking about it joe, it's a lot more than TWO islands- Isles of Man, Sheppy, Wight, Gernsey, Jersey, Sark, Orkney, Shetlands... blimey we are a huge place ! :devil

christ man,learn to spell.............it's your country (countries) after all. :rolleyes:

Ah,the Bovine Isles,Jersey and Guernsey.

I mentioned that under my breath at a BA ticketing class and the instructor didn't appreciate it.

christ man,learn to spell.............it's your country (countries) after all. :rolleyes:

I mentioned that under my breath at a BA ticketing class and the instructor didn't appreciate it.

Maybe he thought you were being Sarkie. :devil

Surely you mean the young Australian teenager ..... 1luv :D

Tom, I know as much about tennis players as I do about American footballers. It 'aint my thing. I go by her accent. :party

christ man,learn to spell.............it's your country (countries) after all. :D

If he was American, he probably didn't understand it. :party

The Jersey must be the most beautiful bovine, to grace a field.

Gold Top milk, probably carries a Government health warning now. 1luv

The spellings didn't look right to me either, but which one couldn't you recognize ? I forgot the Silly Isles. ;)

Edited by nidnoyham
If he was American, he probably didn't understand it. :party

The Jersey must be the most beautiful bovine, to grace a field.

Gold Top milk, probably carries a Government health warning now. 1luv

The spellings didn't look right to me either, but which one couldn't you recognize ? I forgot the Silly Isles. :D

She was an English bovine herself.After a week or so,she warmed to our humor.

The diving comp is about to start! woohoo

Finally!

But since referees have been warned this year (again) to watch for diving style points,and the players know it,maybe they competition will be at a minimum this year.But that probably won't deter Mexico and a few other latin teams.

As usual,I forgot to add the "U" so Brits could comprehend.

It was Nids mob that invented the language . It's obvious that their way of spelling, must be the correct way:allright

Franz Beckenbauer? :unsure:

O.k this is purely from memory of the German '66 final team.

'The King' Becks- Ziggy Held- Wolfgang Webber- Uwie Seiler- Hans Tilkofski (goalie)- Helmut Haller.. that's all I can recall now, I used to know them all, but the old memory......

O.k this is purely from memory of the German '66 final team.

'The King' Becks- Ziggy Held- Wolfgang Webber- Uwie Seiler- Hans Tilkofski (goalie)- Helmut Haller.. that's all I can recall now, I used to know them all, but the old memory......

Did you know that Siggi went on to become manager of Thailand .... :unsure:

FIFA need to toughen up.

A ref might miss a dive bit the 637 cameras covering the match wont.

A panel does a review and any softcock caught diving can have lets say .... a 10 match holiday from the sport.

Also anyone falling over up has 90 secs to stand up or he goes off.

You are either injured enough to be genuinely down or playing the prima-dona card.

I like the game but I dont watch it to see B-grade actors.