Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Not so much Airlines but Countries

I've been looking for over a month now for a flight UK to LOS late October, returning late November. For some reason this time it's being difficult; the times are wrong, the prices are ridiculous, the lay-over is too long, etc, etc. So far the best I can find is Gulf Air from Heathrow via Bahrain. I've used Gulf before and, while they'll never make the top of my list, they're OK. My worry is transiting via Bahrain - not so much personal safety, but flight disruption due to the "Arab Spring" that's currently causing a lot of problems in the Middle East. They even cancelled the Bahrain Grand Prix as they couldn't guarantee a smooth event. So, should I worry?

Any informed opinions please? Thanks.

BTW, to forestall the comments, this isn't about politics, or religion, or Arabs, only about me getting to Fun Town and back on time, with no hassle.

I've been looking for over a month now for a flight UK to LOS late October, returning late November. For some reason this time it's being difficult; the times are wrong, the prices are ridiculous, the lay-over is too long, etc, etc. So far the best I can find is Gulf Air from Heathrow via Bahrain. I've used Gulf before and, while they'll never make the top of my list, they're OK. My worry is transiting via Bahrain - not so much personal safety, but flight disruption due to the "Arab Spring" that's currently causing a lot of problems in the Middle East. They even cancelled the Bahrain Grand Prix as they couldn't guarantee a smooth event. So, should I worry?

It's not realistic to expect an answer from ANYONE ANYWHERE on what's going to happen in Bahrain in four months, let alone a Pattaya mongers' board. Right now, Bahrain is quiet and under control. No guarantee, but there's a very good chance that will last through Tuesday. After that...

More generally, Bahrain has thrown all the leading springtime fanciers in the hoosegow. That will make it either safer or way, way more dangerous by October.

With the might of Saudi behind them, Bahrain appears to have quietened down.

Gulf Air is a loss making carrier and that is often a worrying factor. I did a quick check and their last few flights into BKK have been on-time. If it is a matter of not worrying, pay the extra to fly Emirates or Qatar etc... there is hardly any shortage of options from London. Avoid layover by going direct (BA/Qantas/Eva/Thai).

Also be aware that the Islamic holiday of Eid al Adha is early November and their New Year, Nov 26th which will affect availability and prices.

Have you looked into Oman Air?

And as soon as I asked the question, a filght I like came up on Etihad for £504. Good times at both ends for getting to and from Heathrow, 8 hour layover on the way out, but I can live with that. Booked immediately. 123 days to go! :grin

And as soon as I asked the question, a filght I like came up on Etihad for £504. Good times at both ends for getting to and from Heathrow, 8 hour layover on the way out, but I can live with that. Booked immediately. 123 days to go! :grin

Eight hours is a disgusting layover.... particularly in Abu Dhabi. Tempting to get a taxi into town and enjoy a few bars. Mind you there goers the £100 you saved. :D

Eight hours is a disgusting layover.... particularly in Abu Dhabi. Tempting to get a taxi into town and enjoy a few bars. Mind you there goers the £100 you saved. :D

It's at night and I actually liked the old "doughnut" terminal at Abu Dhabi, haven't seen the new one (terminal 3) though.

Apparently lounge access for 6 hours is £24. If I can't find a good place to snooze, I'll do that.

Brian i would join Etihads frequent flying program you are soon up to silver membership and it includes

free lounge access.Booked Qatar airways this november £485:00 2 hours stopovers from manchester. :chogdee

At £24:00 the lounge access dos'nt sound bad for the money. Good quality food as much as you want, tea coffee ect very comfy sofa's and easy chairs .

Edited by surry