Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Yeah, but who knew Sa-teef wanted to be an English teacher?

I think most people go through this stage at some point - you fall in love with Thailand and then you try to figure out how you're going to live there. Teaching English or buying a bar is the first idea for most!

I think most people go through this stage at some point - you fall in love with Thailand and then you try to figure out how you're going to live there. Teaching English or buying a bar is the first idea for most!

Yeah and if you are Sickman, both an English instructor and a BG investigator.

Now that is diversity.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well there is a bar for sale on the Forum.... both an opportunity and a lesson learned.

I have been teaching English in Thailand for the past 3 years.

Most schools are looking for someone with a TEFL certificate (120 hours) and a 4 year college degree in any subject. That said, if you have white skin, are a native speaker of English, and look fairly presentable, you can get hired somewhere in Thailand. I've worked with several teachers who didn't have a degree, but most places at the minimum want you to take some sort of TEFL course.

Most schools will pay 30,000 baht per month. Once you get a little experience under your belt you should be able to negotiate that figure up a bit. Salaries are usually a bit higher in BKK, but so is the cost of living. Salaries tend to be lower in touristy areas like Phuket and Chiang Mai. Many teachers supplement their income by teaching part time at language schools or teaching private students.

If you have a degree in Education you should be able to find a job in an international school, which usually pays better.

I disagree about lining up a job before you move over, unless you have an advanced degree. Some of the internet head hunters are famous for promising the world to get you over here, then delivering much, much less. The stories of a newly arrived teacher being driven to a school in the boonies and given the key to a shack-like accomodation with no AC are not just urban myths. Best to do your TEFL course in Thailand, get a feel for the country and how the system is run, develop some contacts, decide where you want to work, then go to schools in person and ask about jobs. The best months for teacher job hunting are April and October.

The most valuable thing I got out of my TEFL course was the teaching practice with actual Thai students. I've known some teachers who did online TEFL courses, and they were shockingly un-prepared when their new bosses pushed them into an actual class of 40 screaming Thai teenagers.

Young guys who are in their most productive earning years seem to ignore the fact that they will still need an income when they are ready to retire. Thailand is not big on pensions so a young guy would need his own retirement plan. Unfortunately teaching is normally only subsistence level living and it is not likely they will have enough income or discipline to build a decent pension plan.

• Upvote 1