Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone who compares a slow cooker to a rice cooker is an idiot. Put a 2Kg joint of meat in a rice cooker with stock and wine and see what happens to it 8 hours after.   If you don't know what you a

Not necessary...let's put it down to a "figure of speech".

Cook books and instruction pamphlets give you food poisoning? Wow!! I'm glad I don't read them.   .

Posted Images

I bought mine cheap from tesco here in England so maybe you could pick one up in a tesco in Thailand...

Just a thought.

Travelling back to Thailand next week from UK.Was gonna buy one here as cheap but they are quite heavy and my case is bursting already, so if i could get one there i wouldnt bother carrying it.

Travelling back to Thailand next week from UK.Was gonna buy one here as cheap but they are quite heavy and my case is bursting already, so if i could get one there i wouldnt bother carrying it.

Dont understand what you mean, i was saying check out tescos in Thailand/Pattaya as they may sell them there mate. ;)

Dont understand what you mean, i was saying check out tescos in Thailand/Pattaya as they may sell them there mate. ;)

I understand what you mean.I was just debating whether to take one back with me.

Thanks for your help.

Almost. I want something i can leave all day.You cant with rice cookers.

Sure you can. Most rice cookers stay on all day to keep the rice warm, that's the point of them.

Sure you can. Most rice cookers stay on all day to keep the rice warm, that's the point of them.

This is ok for rice, but the OP is refeering to what the USA folk call a "crock pot" i have just bought one over here in Ghana and its the best friend in the kitchen. It have a thick ceramic bowl inside which keeps the food hot for ages or can cook slowly. The thick ceramic pot is what does all the work once it is hot, it stays hot for a long time.

This is ok for rice, but the OP is refeering to what the USA folk call a "crock pot"

Yep, that's why I told him there are lots of them for sale here, too. Pretty well all the big department stores have them -- western, Japanese and Thai. It's not Wal-Mart for selection, AND you usually will find them interspersed with the rice cookers in that department. But it is un-difficult to find them.

More than all day, a chunk of the night too. When the TGFs mother stayed I was woken up by the smell of rice cooking at 4am! Edited by jacko

More than all day, a chunk of the night too. When the TGFs mother stayed I was woken up by the smell of rice cooking at 4am!

heh. Yeah, I was thinking of a 24-hour day, you betcha.

I know rice cookers stay warm but not quite what i was talking about.

Crock pot was what i was thinking of.Thats great if they got those too.

Thanks for your help.

Guest lemikins

Anyone who compares a slow cooker to a rice cooker is an idiot.

Put a 2Kg joint of meat in a rice cooker with stock and wine and see what happens to it 8 hours after.

If you don't know what you are talking about, don't add to the thread.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
Guest martinkelly

Put a 2Kg joint of meat in a rice cooker with stock and wine and see what happens to it 8 hours after.

Have you ever put a 2kg joint of meat with stock & wine in a slow cooker for 8 hours?

Guest lemikins

Have you ever put a 2kg joint of meat with stock & wine in a slow cooker for 8 hours?

Frequently, that's what they are designed for. However I wouldn't expect you to get past plastic wraps and a microwave.

Hear Hear

Edited by simon_cook
Guest lemikins

Slow cookers consist of a robust ceramic/pottery-type base, usually many times bigger than a rice cooker, and with a thick base. Usually they have at 2-3 heat settings. They can be easily shoved in the oven too. The base goes into a heating element, much like a rice cooker, but like I say, much thicker.