Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Passing driving test in Pattaya

Hi,

I am going to pass written driving test to get thai driving license (the simplest way I found so far). Does anyone have list of questions or may be even link to online test to check what questions they actually have? Here is a list of documents needed (600 bath in total, I hope it will help someone save money): http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/thai%20license%20Checklist.pdf

I read several user reviews regarding examination and they all mentioned some 1-2 hour video which I should watch before taking written test. Any ideas regarding that?

Thanks in advance

Yes watch the 2 hour video on the day of the test, you will find all the answers in that and study the highway code signs

Thanks! I have never heard about highway code signs before. There are no much highway signs in EU. It's just general informational signs rather command directions or warning signs. Anyway, I will try to google it.

Also I need new teacher LOL Mine postpone couple of lessons and I have a doubt that I will ever have them. Anyway, I am ready to pay 150 bat per 1 hour, anyone wants easy money? :)

I did not manage to find any but the signs are almost the same as in EU. There are couple of signs on thai and several strange looking for making left or right turn with U turn which is different from EU. Plus the books I checked (thai) have just theory which most of us already know. One driving school told me that there are just 30 question and I have a doubt that the questions are the same all the time 555 Anyway they told me that I will pass from secvond attempt for sure. Also I am allowed to try every day and it's free :) I have prepared all documents and trained myself for 10 hours (I did UK test drives with 8 turns, emergency stop and U turn), tomorrow I am going to try to pass both tests ;)

I did not manage to find any but the signs are almost the same as in EU. There are couple of signs on thai and several strange looking for making left or right turn with U turn which is different from EU. Plus the books I checked (thai) have just theory which most of us already know. One driving school told me that there are just 30 question and I have a doubt that the questions are the same all the time 555 Anyway they told me that I will pass from secvond attempt for sure. Also I am allowed to try every day and it's free :) I have prepared all documents and trained myself for 10 hours (I did UK test drives with 8 turns, emergency stop and U turn), tomorrow I am going to try to pass both tests ;)

good luck, call me when you have your new shiny license for a rental 0899-326-716

Edited by PoolHustler

Here I am with my thai driving license. As a 'thank you' to this great forum I decided to share some valuable tips, how to get driving license (I got mine two days ago):

1) If anyone in Pattaya will offer you driving license for money, it's cheating. You can simply change yours (same class) with 150 bat bill. There are no way to buy it... They will charge you only for service (transportation).

2) The test will take min two days, there are no way to do it in one (acceding to a new low). First you study and do driving and then do theory test.

3) You need only two documents: medical check and residence paper. First one will cost you 100 bat, second 300. You can get each within 30 minutes.

4) It's hard to find location where police is located unless you know where it is exactly. Take motorbike taxi if you want. It should cost you 200-300 bat, including 3-5 hours waiting (while you do test).

5) Practical test differ from video which is available on youtube. If you use motorbike with manual gear, it will give you some advantage (believe me that's true).

6) Some said that, if you failed theory, you can come next day and you will have the same questions: this is bull...! Even if you know answer, it does not mean you will answer correctly. I had 5 questions with two correct answers in each.

The only way to pass the test is to know what they are expecting as an answer. There is high chance that you fail from first attempt, so do not worry. Also there were couple differences from EU which cause me a problem but anyway, I scored 27 from first attempt (I did 100% in EU test).

P.S. there will be question with tank, all newbies fail it, the correct answer is wind screen ;) At least you can be sure that you will have one correct answer :)

Edited by GertrudeL
  • Upvote 1

When I went for my licence I had an International Driving Permit for both a car and a motorbike I didnt do any driving or written test for either, just the eye chart, the brake reaction test and the depth perception test. Oh, and watched the video

When I went for my licence I had an International Driving Permit for both a car and a motorbike I didnt do any driving or written test for either, just the eye chart, the brake reaction test and the depth perception test. Oh, and watched the video

That's what I said ;) the one who said that they bought it, they simple paid for free service :)

BTW I rented scooter with automatic gearbox and I cannot understand how people could say that it's better than manual (for testing purposes I did 40km in city last night). I simply have no control over engine, there are delays in start and it' extremly hard to drive with pessanger (cannot use second gear to accelerate fast in curves).

At the same time if you are going to drive alone, you are not technical guy who understands how driving physics works and you are not happy to take responsibilities - the automatic gearbox should be your choice.

Edited by GertrudeL