Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Bicycle as a primary method of transportation

A cable lock is fine for short periods of time, but if you have an expensive bike I wouldn't recommend outside storage. Not only is theft a problem, but the weather here will quickly trash your bike. I use cheap, rear wheel bike stands and park my bikes inside.

attachicon.gifIMG_5983.jpg

Nice bikes!

My bikes have kickstands and knobby tires so definitely a different caliber than those pictured :).

Re: Security

For my two bikes that are expensive to me, I carry upstairs into my condo (7th floor with plenty of room), but the cheaper bikes (

Last year or was it the year before, some guys with guns south of Pattaya on motorbikes with other guys in waiting were taking expensive bikes directly from the riders - not lone riders. According to my bike shop owner, the Thai police caught them, but if like the pickpockets on the baht bus, they'll be back.

I don't know if it's cultural or less easy, but I worry more in the USA about my locked bike being stolen or parts removed - seats, components, tool bag, lights, etc...as the Thai girls always laugh at me while I'm locking my bike...hmm, or is it because I also lock my helmet to the bike and look for something secure to anchor my locks :). I like to make the girls laugh!

Yes, now I try not to ride at night or before sunrise as some motorbike riders seem to go faster when their visibility is less? So, I walk the 45 minutes back from Walking Street with multiple stops on the way - Beach Road, Soi Honey, LK Metro, Soi Chaiyapoon and maybe a Thai karaoke bar on 3rd Road :) sometimes, making it a 2-3 hour walk home.

Edited by losgrad

Thanks losgrad. I'm a big believer in spending the money up front for as much quality as the budget allows. The bikes last longer and the better components make for a more enjoyable ride.

I remember reading about the bike thefts. A poster on another board recounted a first hand experience with them. I believe he now carries a collapsible baton and pepper spray within easy reach on his bike. Heard on the grapevine several of the Thai riders around here have friends in high places. The word was put out to get those guys, and in short order they were caught.

Edited by forcebwithu