Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

FYI American Express Bluebird

Not sure if this is the best place to post, admin please move if needed. I have my military pension check each month direct deposited into an American Express Bluebird account and would normally withdraw funds via an ATM in Thailand. Today I received an email from them saying effective today Jan 6 2016 you can no longer use this card at ATM's outside the United States. They did say it could still be used for purchases but no cash.

Problem I will have now is trying to locate another good source for my direct deposit. I closed my bank account in America due to the fact that I had no bills in the States and what savings I have is my bank in Thailand. I saw no reason to keep it active. Any ideas?

Bangkok Bank? They have a branch in the US that can probabLy receive direct deposits.

Once the USD are deposited to the account, the USD are converted to THB (at a very good exchange rate ) and transferred to your Thai Bangkok Bank account.

You can then use your Bangkok Bank ATM card to withdraw in THB with no service charges (in your home province).

• Upvote 1

I have a monthly payment from a U.S. source that is deposited directly into my Thai bank account. Unless there is a regulation which prohibits direct deposits of U.S. military pensions to banks outside the U.S., it shouldn't be hard to arrange, as it is all done by Swift codes and account numbers.

Evil

:devil

The benefit to a Bangkok Bank account is that it has a New York branch which means the transfers into you account are domestic ACH transfers. I haven't done it myself, but Bangkok Bank says you can have your recurring US government checks directly deposited to one of their accounts. There is a quirky restriction on getting money out. Rather than paraphrasing the bank's language--

"The US Treasury Department has ceased issuing paper cheques for the payment of Federal retirement benefits such as pensions, annuities or payroll, including Social Security and Veterans Affairs payments, and now requires direct deposit of your benefit into your bank account. You will therefore need to notify the US government agency providing your Federal benefit how you wish to receive payments.

As Bangkok Bank is the only provider in Thailand offering a direct deposit services into a Thai bank account, you can ask the relevant US government agency to route your payments into your Bangkok Bank account via Bangkok Bank’s New York branch. If you reside in Thailand, you can apply for the service in person at any Bangkok Bank branch (except for micro branches).

Benefits of the Direct Deposit Service

Your payments are deposited directly to your account every month.

Funds will be converted into baht using the rate for receiving electronic funds transfers (Buying TT rate).

How to apply: If receiving payments from a US Government Agency

Download the 'Direct Deposit Sign-up Form (SF1199A)' from www.socialsecurity.gov/online. Complete the form to sign up for Direct Deposit with your relevant US government agency.

Open a savings account at any Bangkok Bank branch (except micro branches). If you already have an account with Bangkok Bank, you can use your existing bank account for this service, however we will need to change the type of account in line with the Direct Deposit’s terms and conditions.

Complete a 'Direct Deposit Service Application' form, which you can pick up at any Bangkok Bank branch (except the micro branches). You can also opt to fill out an SMS Remittance Alert Service Request Form to receive an SMS notification on your mobile phone when funds have been successfully transferred into your Bangkok Bank account.

Submit all forms to Bangkok Bank with the following supporting documents:

Identification Card/Government Official ID Card/Passport together with a customer identification document such as your Social Security Card, Annuitant ID Card etc.

A document from the relevant agency giving evidence of your right to receive the payments.

After verifying your documents, Bangkok Bank will submit your application to the government agency asking them to approve your request to receive the funds via Direct Deposit.

After the request is approved by the US Government Agency, your payments will be electronically deposited directly into your Bangkok Bank account.

Important

If you use a direct deposit service to receive funds from a US Government Agency, you must appear in person at a Bangkok Bank branch to withdraw the funds.

Bangkok Bank cannot authorize the withdrawal of funds from your direct deposit account by an appointed representative, or via ATM or any other electronic channel. You must appear in person at a Bangkok Bank branch to withdraw the funds. You can, however, open a normal savings or current account and transfer the funds from your direct deposit account to this account. You may then withdraw your funds as usual via ATM or any other electronic channel.

You can also opt to directly contact the US Government Agencies to send funds into your savings account with Bangkok Bank. However, we still need to request that you change your savings account to a Direct Deposit account. Failure to comply will result in Bangkok Bank not being able to deposit funds transferred from the US Government Agency into your account."

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

I do know a Thai lady who is getting her military widow's check through Bangkok Bank so I believe it can be done.

• Upvote 1