Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Northwest Airlines

Has anyone who has flown NWA, which leaves BKK at 6 am, stayed the previous night in PTYA? I am debating wheather or not to fly NWA this time. I could gain an extra night, but I would prefer to only stay the first night in BKK. I am thinking that you would have to leave PTYA at 2:00 am.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ty_

Ty,

I have flown Northwest on all my trips to the LOS. The only thing I don't like, is the fact they get in at 11:45 PM at night and leave at 6:05 AM in the morning. I have found most of the time, they offer the best prices out of Houston, Texas, and get sucked in with all the miles. Have gotten 1 free trip to Bangkok, and several free domestic using miles.

Here we go again about the Pattaya vs Bangkok while in the LOS. I prefer to spend the first 2 nights in Bangkok when arriving. I can clear the airport, get to the hotel, check in, clean up and still hit the Soi by 1:15 AM. When leaving to return home, I will spend my last 2 nights in Bangkok. I can still take advantage for a shag that last night. Get a 3:30 AM wake up call and head to the airport at 4:00 AM. I will spend my time in between, in Pattaya. Just my 2 baht worth.

LeoTex

I would stay in Bangkok, but just because leaving from Pattaya adds another 2 hours to what will be a long trip anyway going home.  I don't want to spend my time before sitting on a plane sitting in a car.

That said, if it doesn't bother you I don't see a big difference between leaving at 2:00 from Pattaya or 4:00 from Bangkok.  Either way you have time to get in a little sanuk before you are off.

One benefit of Pattaya might be that it is less likely you will have to deal with a BG wanting to go to the airport with you.

-Vox

Every BG, I know wants to make the trip to the airport. ;D I don't sleep my last night and I leave Pattaya at 2AM for United 6:30AM flight.

Gotta stay that last bight in Bangkok....Easier to get to the airport from a hotel in Bangkok...I just don't want to risk a mechanical failure on the road amd miss that flight...

TY, I've flown NW numerous times from Tokyo to BKK and just used up the last of my miles. I won't fly with them again just because the 6 am departure is a killer!

But if price is an issue, they are hard to beat and United has a similar schedule/price.

Stay your first night in BKK, you'll still have a few hours to party even after arriving at 11:45 pm.

I stay at Pattaya my last night. Normally manage a ST and a few hours sleep before leaving at 3 am. At that time you'll get to the airport around 4:30-45 am and can nap in the back of the car.

Out of 9 trips I've done both, but I usually end up taking a cab from Pattaya.  Leave at 2am, and you are usually at the airport by 4am, with plenty of time for your 6 am flight.  I have never even come close to being late.

Of course being able to sleep in the taxi and on the flight helps you transition over to the North American time.

If I stay in Bangkok then I I end up stayingup all night anyway.

Zeus

If I stay in Bangkok then I I end up stayingup all night anyway.

Same same me.  I typically cannot sleep on planes, but on my last trip I stayed up all night and slept all the way to Tokyo and most of the way to Seattle.  It was fantastic.

-Vox

I have done this early morning northwest flight several times and done it both ways - gone into BK for that last night so not to worry as traffic is light at 5am - and I have arranged a middle of the taxi from Pattaya to the airport beforehand and again, making it to the airport was no hassle.

Personally, I found that you lose too much time doing the overnight in BK - you have to get there the day before and driving into BK during the day takes forever, check in to a hotel and unpack in a hotel, using up several hours - if you stay in Pattaya you can enjoy that last night, doing a bar crawl, massage, or a ST, and then just sleep in the taxi enroute.  

However, I would caution you that building up mileage on Northwest is useless - I am trying to sell my Northwest miles because no matter how far in advance I try to use my upgrades, they never seem to have seats available.  IMHO, Northwest is a bad choice unless you have no other options.  After all, why fly this distance and not be able to use the 17,000 miles some time?

Mark

Hello to all who use NWA -

I just wanted to echo what Mark has stated. When it comes to using your FFM, NWA makes it very difficult to use.  They force you to use their "Rule Buster Rule" and  force you to use double milage just to fly economy class.

The best I've been able to do is 90,000 when they post a special. Some special - they still bilk you for another 30,000 instead of the normal 60,000 miles.

I've been flying NWA since 1999 and I've only been able to fly Business Class once using my FFM.

Their was another time when I paid for my ticket and about a month before I was to leave they ran another special reducing the orginal fare by $126.00. I called their 1-800 number to see if they would send me a voucher for the difference and all I got was the run around from their staff and a lot of excuses as to why they could not make the adjustment.

What makes this even worse is that they now combine their flights at NRT. So now the Continetal flight and their other NWA flight out of Seattle or LA can't remember which makes for a very crowed flight.

Sorry about the venting here - But NWA has lost a customer in myself and friends for any future flights.

BobSJ

[smiley=deal.gif]bobsj. thanks for the nwa. i  was thinking ua was bad. [smiley=poke2.gif]the ffm for them is that you can always get flight back but not to bkk. i was considering nwa for price but thinking now it will have to be cathy or eva for flight times. [smiley=Eyecrazy.gif]oh well it is what makes there so much better than here regardless ot the time. [smiley=crying.gif]i was thinking i was the only one who hope the taxi would break down. ;D