Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Every cloud has a silver lining..........

What with all the flight cancellations going on there's going to be a lot less CO2 dumped into the upper atmosphere. Don't know what effect that's going to have on global warming, but it can't hurt.:thumbup 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, michaelday said:

What with all the flight cancellations going on there's going to be a lot less CO2 dumped into the upper atmosphere. Don't know what effect that's going to have on global warming, but it can't hurt.:thumbup 

Probably zero. countered by the fact everyone staying at home will make a bigger demand on power stations, people will use less public transport therefore their cars instead so while the skies over my house are relatively quiet at the moment I (We live under a flightpath), I think the blessings are relatively minimal.

One positive might be less demand for fuel, causing a price drop and maybe the UK govt will try to add stimulus by reducing or changing APD to lower fares and encourage travel once it is all over and done with.

At least Greta will be happy, she can ride around in the free Tesla her parents were given, you know, the one that's full of plastic.

Edited by Butch
  • Haha 1
55 minutes ago, Butch said:

Probably zero. countered by the fact everyone staying at home will make a bigger demand on power stations, people will use less public transport therefore their cars instead so while the skies over my house are relatively quiet at the moment I (We live under a flightpath), I think the blessings are relatively minimal.

One positive might be less demand for fuel, causing a price drop and maybe the UK govt will try to add stimulus by reducing or changing APD to lower fares and encourage travel once it is all over and done with.

At least Greta will be happy, she can ride around in the free Tesla her parents were given, you know, the one that's full of plastic.

After 9/11, they noted that there was an increase in temperature  due to the lack of flights (contrails reflecting sun energy). So, less greenhouse gasses vs reflective clouds.

"About a year after the attacks, Carleton, David Travis, a geographer at the University of Wisconsin, and another colleague argued in a paper that thin clouds created by contrails reduce the range of temperatures. By contributing to cloud cover during the day, they reflect solar energy that would otherwise have reached the earth’s surface. At night, they trap warmth that would otherwise have escaped.

The effect during the three days that flights were grounded was strongest in populated regions where air traffic was normally densest. The increase in range came to about two degrees Celsius.

Other studies have tended to back up the research. In 2011, British scientists wrote that an air raid in May 1944 involving over 1,400 aircraft measurably lowered daytime temperatures in England. In that case, the situation was the reverse of 9/11 – large-scale air travel was unknown, and dense concentrations of large planes were rare."

https://globalnews.ca/news/2934513/empty-skies-after-911-set-the-stage-for-an-unlikely-climate-change-experiment/