Jump to content
Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
Sign in to follow this  
Bazle

Pattaya launches B160m facelift to boost tourism

Recommended Posts

(PUBLISHED : 16 AUG 2020 AT 04:33)

Pattaya will spend 160 million baht to improve the city's beach landscape in a bid to attract local tourists.

The landscape redevelopment on a 4-kilometre stretch of Pattaya Beach will start in October and is expected to be finished by the end of the year, Sonthaya Kunplome, mayor of the City of Pattaya, said on Saturday.

"The City of Pattaya needs to change its tourism strategy to draw local tourists to the city," Mr Sonthaya said.

As well as landscape beautification, such as replacing pavements, the new project will involve building car parking spaces for tourist coaches and vehicles and for local visitors, and incorporate underground public toilets.

The landscape project -- starting from North Pattaya and running to Walking Street -- would rebuild walkways, redevelop gardens and plant more trees.

Mr Sonthaya said the Pattaya Council approved the 160 million baht budget with the hope the beach landscape redevelopment will "add a new magnet" to the area's sluggish tourism industry.

In financial terms, Pattaya was one of the hardest-hit tourism areas when the Covid-19 pandemic intensified. Before the outbreak, the city lured 10 million visitors each year, with about 80% of tourists coming from abroad. The largest groups of visitors came from China, Russia and India.

As foreign tourists disappeared, the city worked to improve infrastructure and landscape to prepare for its recovery.

In terms of environmental projects, the city will launch a beach restoration project on a 3.5-km stretch of Jomtien Beach which has been affected by coastal erosion.

The sand filling to cost 600 million baht will replenish the coastline from Lung Sawai restaurant to Jomtien Soi 11. The work is expected to start early next year.

About 680,000 cubic metres of sand will be required for the project.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1968875/?fbclid=IwAR3TMHsq7i3VNnLt2OSsL_yF9tW5eyfM4G13gZR5bxBLdXgOK4nFAZm9OIU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bazle said:

The landscape project -- starting from North Pattaya and running to Walking Street -- would rebuild walkways, redevelop gardens and plant more trees.

"Which we will then destroy whilst building the Monorail" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting rid of the huge rat population might be a good start. Years ago they decided to gas them in the sewers. Great idea, all the dead rats merely provided a food source for the rest of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely the biggest issue with Pattaya and Jomtien beaches is ..the water quality !
Not even mentioned in this report.

Possibly , after 6 months of empty hotel and condo rooms not spewing excrement into the gulf, the water quality might be quite improved.
Have to admit I did swim several times at Jomtien, after they closed my condo pool, but they soon put a stop to that too !

In the 4 years I've lived here ,plus previous visits ,I'd never swum at either beach, preferring to go to Koh Larn for a day trip whenever I felt the urge to swim in the sea ( or Koh Chang for a few days )

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gus in cebu said:

Surely the biggest issue with Pattaya and Jomtien beaches is ..the water quality !
Not even mentioned in this report.

Possibly , after 6 months of empty hotel and condo rooms not spewing excrement into the gulf, the water quality might be quite improved.
Have to admit I did swim several times at Jomtien, after they closed my condo pool, but they soon put a stop to that too !

In the 4 years I've lived here ,plus previous visits ,I'd never swum at either beach, preferring to go to Koh Larn for a day trip whenever I felt the urge to swim in the sea ( or Koh Chang for a few days )

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk
 

The biggest problem in Jomtien is garbage, stinking overflowing trolleys on beach road,piles of bags and bins all over.Every undeveloped patch becomes a dumping ground and every tide brings more to the beach to add to the crap the locals leave after picnicking on the promenade! Garbage is closely followed by the dogs who spoil it for everybody, except of course for all you expert dog whisperer's.The locals have a chance to reboot but I won't hold my breath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, yselmike said:

The biggest problem in Jomtien is garbage, stinking overflowing trolleys on beach road,piles of bags and bins all over.Every undeveloped patch becomes a dumping ground and every tide brings more to the beach to add to the crap the locals leave after picnicking on the promenade! Garbage is closely followed by the dogs who spoil it for everybody, except of course for all you expert dog whisperer's.The locals have a chance to reboot but I won't hold my breath.

And the stinking drains, particularly walking from Grand Condotel along the "pedestrianised" road towards the police station. It's horrible and often makes me wretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...