Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

What exactly is a tourist visa?

A Tourist Visa is for stays of more then 30 days (and the 30 day visa free entry is not valid for all countries anyway). It will be issued at any Thai Consulate or Embassie and enables you to stay in Thailand for a period of 60 days which can be extended for usually another 30 days in Thailand at any Immigration Office at a price of 1,900 Baht. As the name says it is for tourists and does not permit any other activity such as work. Check your local Embassy for the price, there are usually Visas for 1, 2 or 3 entries even though lately it seems that they only issue single and double entry Visas.

Here you can find a list with Thai Embassies that have a website:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/

For more information on Visa issues look here:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php

http://www.thaivisa.com

http://imm3.police.go.th/eng/index.htm

cheers

cyber

cyber the Thai Consulate here in Australia seem to pretty easy on us Aussies as far as multi entry visa's go. I don't know why, may be it has something to do with the new free trade agreement. They cost $225 Aussie dollars though and are good for one year.

Bigmike.

cyber the Thai Consulate here in Australia seem to pretty easy on us Aussies as far as multi entry visa's go. I don't know why, may be it has something to do with the new free trade agreement. They cost $225 Aussie dollars though and are good for one year.

Bigmike.

As far as I know there is no such thing as a multiple entry tourist visa, the most I ever heard of was 3 entries and from what I did read on thaivisa.com they are not longer issued at most embassies, I can not add personal experience to that though so it might as well just be rumours. A multiple entry visa is a visa that can be used unlimited times within a year as far as I understand it. And I also do not know of any tourist visa that is valid for a year? You probably mean a Non Immigrant Visa which would match perfectly to your description. But unfortunatly there are several requirements to get a Non Immigrant Visa, it is not the Visa you just can get as a Tourist I'd say, unless in Australia they are reall not looking at any requirements and issuing them?

http://thaisydney.idx.com.au/Nonimmigrantvisa.html

The Non Immigrant Visa you can get in Australia is the same as the one you get anywhere else, the difference that you get with the FTA now is as torrenova said a 90 days visa free entry insted of the 30 days.

That's what the Thai Embassy in Sydney says about Tourist Visas:

http://thaisydney.idx.com.au/touristvisa.html

So Australians are lucky now becuase I guess 90 days is rather nice, no need for 30 day visa runs. :banghead

cheers

cyber

cybers I was referring to the non immigrant visa for multi entry's. The 90 day free entry visa on arrival still confuses me a little as you have put it. As far as I can see on the web site you still have to apply for it and it costs 45 bucks and is for 60 days with a 30 day extension available. But when it all boils down it is a handy visa to have for an extended stay. Three months is a good holiday in Thailand. Apparently the Visas are issued on the spot in Sydney if you have all the documentation including return ticket.

:banghead

Bigmike.

cybers I was referring to the non immigrant visa for multi entry's. The 90 day free entry visa on arrival still confuses me a little as you have put it. As far as I can see on the web site you still have to apply for it and it costs 45 bucks and is for 60 days with a 30 day extension available. But when it all boils down it is a handy visa to have for an extended stay. Three months is a good holiday in Thailand. Apparently the Visas are issued on the spot in Sydney if you have all the documentation including return ticket.

:banghead

Bigmike.

all right

I am also not sure about the 90 days but I did read about it, i think it was on thaivisa.com. The transit visa they refer to on the embassy website actually is the same as if you get a tourist visa so i can't see the difference? They can probably clear that at any embassy or consulate over there, if you find out let me know too, would be interesting to get a fact on this.

cheers

cyber

Transit visa 30 days or less. Cost zero

Tourist visa 60 days or less. Cost I am not sure.

either one you pay 500 baht to exit the country every time you leave.

If you have a transit visa and leave on day 29 then come back next day they will give you another transit visa. So why would anyone want a multiple entry tourist visa?? 2guns 2guns

Transit visa 30 days or less. Cost zero

Tourist visa 60 days or less. Cost I am not sure.

either one you pay 500 baht to exit the country every time you leave.

If you have a transit visa and leave on day 29 then come back next day they will give you another transit visa. So why would anyone want a multiple entry tourist visa?? 2guns 2guns

I thoght the reason for that is obvious? With a Tourist Visa you can stay in the country for 90 days (60 days plus the 30 days extension for 1,900 Baht at any immigration office) compared to the 40 days (30 days plus a 10 day extension for 1,900 Baht at every immigration office) with a 30 day permit.

In addition with a double entry tourist visa you will get another 60 days if you make a visa run which can again be extended for another 30 days.

It is for people who want to stay in Thailand for let's say 6 months and do not want to do 5 Visa runs but only one insted.

And it is not correct that you pay 500 Baht whenever you leave the country of course. You are referring to the 500 Baht Airport Tax in Bangkok which has nothing to do with Immigration or Visa. And you do not pay 500 Baht if you exit Thailand on any of the land border crossings of course.

cheers

cyber

cybers,

most certainly correct you are. But they only way I leave LOS is by plane. I suppose if I was to stay at udon thani then a run to the border would be appropriate. :rolleyes: <grin

But i got the impresion the question was from someone that wanted to come to LOS then leave and come back more than once in a 90 day period. If that is the case a tourist visa seems a little pointless. :beer :nod

But you have a thai wife. What type of visa do you get?? :unsure: :angry:

I understood the question like "What is a tourist Visa for" and I tried to explain it. I have a Thai wife but my visa has nothing to do with her, I used to have Non Immigrant EX Visas in the past but now have permanent resident status (which is classified under the Group of Immigrant Visa as far as I know).

cheers

cyber

• 1 month later...
But the Aussies get 90 days on arrival now so not many will need a visa.

According to the official TH Foreign Affairs website

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php

AUS passport holders do not require a visa when entering TH for tourism purposes if their stay in the Kingdom does not exceed THIRTY days.

For identical purposes ordinary/national passport holders from only Brazil, Chile, Peru, and Republic Korea obtain NINETY days and holders of diplomatic/special passports from another list of countries also obtain NINETY days.

However I fail to see AUS in that list <huh

So Torrenova what would be the source for your statement :nod ?

Hi,

Just got visa forms from Thai Consulate in Liverpool.

Summery of visa regulations immigration act B.E. 2522 (1979A.D.) and relevant texts.

Section 3. Tourist Visa not exceeding 60 days.

Non-imigration Visa not exceeding 90 days.

Section 5 Fees as from August 2003.

Tourist Visa £25 as per entry.

Non-Immigration Visa £40 for SINGLE ENTRY and £90 for MULTIPLE

Entries.

Cheers Doug. getting ready for countdown.