Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

In a few weeks I am flying to Thailand with Emirates (economy) from Manchester, I have planned to get to the airport about 4.5 hours before my flight just so I can have the pick of the best seats on the plane, do u think this will work?

cheers lads.

makavelli

Why not ring the Emirates office and ask them to reserve the seat number of your choise .I do it here with Thai Air.

Of course you have see the seating plan to know what number you want.

Thai air disembarks the economy class starting with the passengers on the port ( left)side first .Never traveled with Emerates so don`t what side they empty first.

Cheers

makavelli,

Emirates afternoon flight ex MAN is a high-density 777 (the evening flight is a more respectable airbus 330) .......... that means that in economy they have 10 seats across the cabin which is a charter airline configuration. I don't know of any other scheduled airline that puts more than 9 seats across in economy. :beer Wherever you sit, you don't want to be in the middle of a row in any circumstances as it is seriously cramped.

The only semi-decent seats in economy are by the emergency exits, however, , reservations staff will normally be unable to allocate these seats to you. It may be worth phoning the Emirates staff at the airport the day before you fly and try and work your charm on them as they will be able to allocate the emergency row seats. Failing that, as you say, get to the airport as early as possible. The onward flights from Dubai, both outward and return, are more of a lottery as you will have folk at airports all over Europe (all over Asia on the return) trying to do the same as you on the connecting flights.

Best of luck and let us know how it works out.

Tom

I try and usually successful in getting exit row window. I lean up against the wall and sleep. If you can fly one airline as they try and accommodate their regular customer.

OK the best way to secure a Good seat on any airline is

1. To book your seat towards the rear of plane.

2. Board as the very last passenger ( Very important)

3. As you then walk the length of the plane with everyone else seated you then know that the empty seats are then free and you can park yourself where you like. Across four unused middle seats for example or at the emergency exit.

Most passengers dont change seats untill the plane has taken off therefor you have a very clear advantage. This works for me 99 out of 100 BRILLIANT PLAN

Griffo.

You're lucky Griffo. Most flights I'm on are almost full with very few spare (if any) spare seats!

I always make a point of getting an aisle seat as far forward in the cabin as possible and when I get off, I walk fast to Immigration passing as many people as possible in the process.

Alan

Couple of points:

1. Emergency exit seats. People often try to blag these on the basis that they have some slight disability, need to straighten out leg, old and infirmed etc. If you say this you will NEVER get these seats as under CAA rules you need to be physically fit to sit in them. If the plane crashes your supposed to be able to operate the door and get out not block the exit. A point often overlooked. However on the up side they don't put the tiny shit machines, sorry little darling babes in arms, in these rows.

2. This is probably unhelpful but you need to know the airline and what happens to decide whats a good seat. Blagged an emergency exit seat on Qantas once, very happy until the plane took off, it was next to the main galley and every single cart bashed the side of the seat as it exited and turned left/right so never got any peace or sleep. The seats in front of the bulkheads usually have pull down cots so this is where they put the tiny shit machines, sorry little darling babes in arms, you do not want to be next to them for 12 hours.

Etc etc etc. No good answer except get there as soon as check in opens (ring and ask usually 3 hours before departure) be polite and try to bag an emergency exit seat bearing in mind what I have said above and if your planning to use that flight regularly take time to look around and see whats going on to decide whats the best seat for next time.

Seat Guru does not cover Emirates, but good site for those airlines it does cover. Bascially same info............

Seat SIZE and PITCH on Emirates are the same on the B777 and A330, and they both have a decent entertainment system.

The configuration on the Airbus is 2-4-2 in Economy.

The Boeing 777 is WIDER, so the seating is 3-4-3, the same as in a 747, so it's unfair to call it a charter configuartion, as it's nowhere near as cramped as the likes of Britannia and Monarch etc.

A lot of Emirates flight are now only 2 classes, Business and Economy, so a 777 with a small Business cabin and lots of Economy seats LOOKS crowded, but is in fact no worse that the A330 as regards the seat you sit in.

Seat SIZE and PITCH on Emirates are the same on the B777 and A330, and they both have a decent entertainment system.

The configuration on the Airbus is 2-4-2 in Economy.

The Boeing 777 is WIDER, so the seating is 3-4-3, the same as in a 747, so it's unfair to call it a charter configuartion, as it's nowhere near as cramped as the likes of Britannia and Monarch etc.

A lot of Emirates flight are now only 2 classes, Business and Economy, so a 777 with a small Business cabin and lots of Economy seats LOOKS crowded, but is in fact no worse that the A330 as regards the seat you sit in.

TFC,

Every other scheduled airline in the world that flies to the UK would tend to disagree. If they thought that they could put in 10 seats per row and get away with it, they would. Even BA dropped its infamous 10 abreast configuration on its Caribbean services a couple of years ago. The EK 777 cabin looks more crowded for no other reason than it is.

I disagree also that seat pitch and width are the same on the EK 777 and 330. The actual figures for their fleet are (Aircraft/Pitch/Width/Seats Abreast):

A330-200 32" 17.99" 8

B777-300 33-34" 17.32" 10

As a quick like-for-like comparison, Singapore Airlines from MAN to BKK via SIN offers 33-34" seat pitch and 9 abreast on its 777 service. Like EK they also have a decent entertainment system and some pretty fit flight attendants to boot. :cry2

Tom

So, according to your figures, you get 1 to 2" more legroom on the 777, but 0.67" less seat width.

Luckily my backside is not that wide, so that is why I did not notice the difference between the 2 aircraft.

From SeatGuru, the BA 777 seat pitch is only 31", and a mere 0.18" wider, so the extra 2-3 inches of seat pitch on Emirates would be more comfortable.

Edited by The_Fat_Controller

TFC,

Again, to make a like-for-like comparison, EK seats 42 Biz Class and 304 Econ Class pax on its 777s. A typical direct competitor on the same route (SQ) seats 30 Biz Class and 293 Econ pax on an identical aircraft. If you want to maintain that by puting an additional 12 Biz Class and 9 Econ class seats on an aircraft makes it more spacious then fine. :eyecrazy :eyecrazy

On the flip side of the coin, EK's seat configurations on its A330's are typical with other operators (e.g. Qatar and Etihad) of the same aircraft type i.e. a 2-4-2 configuration in Economy.

Tom