Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

What's the best deal this summer? Do you think it will be worth waiting until after Labor Day?

Not looking forward to returning to cattle class after Evergreen Deluxe on my last trip...

Thanks..

no deals...oil is too high...booked for July and ticket price about 200 bucks more than usual....$880 from Hawaii to BKK..when it is usually about $650

Summer months are the busiest for the airlines as its summer vacation for school, families are flying along with your college students. 2005 was the busiest year on record for the airlines and this years numbers are better than last even with the higher oil prices. In the past prices do go down after school resumes just don't expect to see prices like we've seen since in the last 4 years. The fear of 9-11 has passed along with SARS, Iraq War, and bird flu.

Agreed - prices are at least +$200 to +$400 this season. Most are in the $1200 - $1600 range. I'm going to wait for the fall when the temperature and prices should cool down a bit.

I too am looking at the LAX- BKK options. Right now the nonstop Thai flight for $1089 (in November - it is around $1900 in the summer) is looking good. It would be great to fly directly to BKK (and maybe even the new airport - if the Thais get their shit together). I'd be willing to pay a small amount more for the experience of a nonstop flight.

I am in the planning stages right now (got to keep away the Pattaya blues), but I would expect some reductions in most airfares in the fall (or at least the crazy increases to dissapear). However, with fuel costs the way they are, I doubt the ultra cheap flights will return.

Zeus

the Thai air lax -bkk direct is great, except:

board @ midnite

you wind up sleeping

fed 3 times

arrives 6 am, have to pay extra nite to ck in hotel

(depends on your fav hotel)

this sched fucked me up

same w/ the return flight

however, the NS is great

i gotta take some sleeping bills to get in cycle

the old flight landed @ midnite

off to Nana or Patty, boink eat & sleep

get up @ 10 am next day, no jet lag for me

i will be wheels up 25 june, premium economy $1600 usd

price drops in august, but wtf, i will be in Thailand!

I found the prices higher as well, even though I'm not tied to a schedule and can fly when the fares are lowest. Saved several hundred by booking in September!!!

The Thai 'economy plus' - is that like the EVA Evergreen Deluxe? If so, it would be worth an extra hundred or so, in my opinion, to fly non-stop.

Since you don't have your ticket yet, it would be a good idea to hold off until Sept to go, the prices will drop. Just use the EVA website to check out the fares until you find when they drop off and book that way.

FR

glad you are alive

Thai premium economy IS like the Evergreen delux

my consolidators price is 1200 for economy and 1600 for premium economy

wheeels up 25 june

i will ck prices going a week later just in case

but if i go later can only get in 2 wks

If so, it would be worth an extra hundred or so, in my opinion, to fly non-stop.

I was not aware that Thai flies non-stop from the West Coast to Bangkok. Do they use the A340-500 from LAX?

Regards

LAX-BKK non stop both ways started in Jan 06

17 hrs to bkk

14 hrs back to lax

Thanks!

That sounds like the "hot ticket" from the West coast anyway. I haven't heard how people like the A340-500 and the 17 hours on-board yet.

Regards

i am a bad one to ask

because:

i like EVERYTHING about traveling

getting the supplies

proper luggage

cases for shit to go inside the luggage

travel gadgets

i like the trip to the airport

i get there 4 or 5 hours early because i like it

i like the flight no matter how long

last 4 legs, back and forth, only watched 1 or 2 movies

i read books, magizines and had a great time

i like going thru the airport, clearing customs

finding a taxi

turning on my cell with my thai sim card

shit, my nipples are hard.......................

oh, how is the plane

AWEsome, new plane smell and all

why the Fxxk do they make a new plane with ashtrays, and then screw them shut?

nice bathrooms ( heads i believe is the correct term )

HOWEVER

i preferr the 747, flying the upper deck

but the seats are MUCH better in prem economy and royal silk

BUT why when they are fully extended to a "bed" do you sland DOWN at the feet so you slide down as you sleep???

(yes there IS room for it to me more horizontal...)

gotta go, i have a set of new zippered cases that fit inside the other zippered cases that fit inside the .......

BillWilson, can you expound on the Thai plus economy service, seats, etc...

as compared to the Eva deluxe economy???

As for LAX-BKK flight, I did check from the West coast SFO and for some reason, a flight on TG,EVA or Cathay Pacific with a stopover at Hong Kong or Taipei would get me to Bangkok faster than for me to fly to LAX then change planes to a direct flight to Bangkok.

I am hoping some airline would consider doing this out ot SFO in the very near future...

BillWilson, can you expound on the Thai plus economy service, seats, etc...

as compared to the Eva deluxe economy???

FLew EVA delux a year ago, ok flight and seat

Have NOT flown TG premium economy

only TG royal silk

however, the seats look great

will be flying tg premium economy on 25 jun and will post

however WTF, LAX-BKK in 17 hours, even in ecomomy not a big drama

(after all, you are going to LOS!)

Bill -

Since you have been on the direct Thai flights I have a question - How full are they booking the plane? I ask for two reasons -

- A booked plane means they will keep the route, although it also might mean future price increases.

- Open seats might mean that they could offer future deals in price to fill the plane.

Finnally - Since you are flying on the 25th of June, try to take a bunch of pics(cabin, seats, food, and of course cute flight attendants!) and include them in the post you are planning. I am sure that I am not the only BM that would enjoy seeing them. You say you love to travel - make it a mission to capture that experience and share it. In any case, I look forward to the report.

Zeus

Edited by Zeus

Since you have been on the direct Thai flights I have a question - How full are they booking the plane? I ask for two reasons -

- A booked plane means they will keep the route, although it also might mean future price increases.

My experiance with 20+ rt flights lax-bkk-lax on TG is that most flights are pretty full. How do i know? I have only gotten a middle row or side row to myself 4 or 5 times. By this i mean, having an assigned economy seat, scoping the asiles as they fill up, and throwing myself and belongings to snag the seats as they close the door. Even those times it was not for both legs ( used to be 2 legs )

Now they only fly tues, thurs, fri & sunday, so flights are fuller

Have flown the NS LAx-BKK twice since svc started

Smaller aircraft, less passengers, flights fuller

FYI always very few white mongers...................

- Open seats might mean that they could offer future deals in price to fill the plane.

Not seen this on TG, except withthe FF pgm they have

My last trip in april/may i flew Biz class (Royal Silk) using 2 for 1 miles

The 2 for 1 deal was the special they give you for your birthday

Every year there is some birthday perk

last 2 years it was a free upgrade

this year a 2 for 1

Also, every 2 years they give you a free upgrade to boot

Key point: Less flights, smaller aircraft = less deals

Finnally - Since you are flying on the 25th of June, try to take a bunch of pics(cabin, seats, food, and of course cute flight attendants!) and include them in the post you are planning. I am sure that I am not the only BM that would enjoy seeing them. You say you love to travel - make it a mission to capture that experience and share it. In any case, I look forward to the report.

I will make an effort to log the trip