Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Online Business?? Co. Registration Required?

I'm involved in an online business and was planning on doing some local advertising in the papers here... There would be no money at all changing hands, it's 100% internet based, do you think I need to register a company??

Thanks Guys!

Your question should be "Do I need a work permit?"

Having a company and shutting your mouth is one thing, but advertising in the paper is quite another.

If you have no work permit, then don't work in Thailand. Do business on the internet - it's grey, but once you start saying you have a business then you are inviting trouble.

The legal situation about online business in Thailand is unclear at the best. BUT - you MAY need to apply for a work permit and that of course requires a company for which you work. Consult a lawyer about this to be sure - dont rely on answers to such questions on a message board if you want reliable, up to date and competent information. Now, many members have a lot of knowledge about such things but I know only of one who is involved in legal services in Thailand, thats my point.

cheers

cyber

The legal situation about online business in Thailand is unclear at the best. BUT - you MAY need to apply for a work permit and that of course requires a company for which you work. Consult a lawyer about this to be sure - dont rely on answers to such questions on a message board if you want reliable, up to date and competent information. Now, many members have a lot of knowledge about such things but I know only of one who is involved in legal services in Thailand, thats my point.

cheers

cyber

Thanks! I had planned to consult a lawyer but I was also hoping to get an unbiased opinion here or even better a response from a lawyer!

I do want everything to be completely legal.

Sir poochai

You then need to be sure that the local advertising will generate enough income to cover those 'extras', Company formation, work permit, annual tax returns etc. etc.

Many people here have internet based second incomes, but few shout about it :finger

dog

Sir poochai

You then need to be sure that the local advertising will generate enough income to cover those 'extras', Company formation, work permit, annual tax returns etc. etc.

Many people here have internet based second incomes, but few shout about it :finger

dog

Thanks For The Reply, I agree with everything you said. I'm going to go ahead and check with a lawyer tomorrow. I live here now so I just don't want to take any chances!

Poochai

You might find it more cost-effective to have a company that is already registered here take the response from your advertising. This would save you all the hassle of setting up a Thai company and then getting a work permit.

If you have a non-immigrant B visa and you own or work for a company outside Thailand, you are entitiled to "investigate business opportunities" on behalf of your overseas employer. If your company is registered outside Thailand, then it would be perfectly legal for you to appoint a Thai Company as your agent to advertise and handle the sales leads. In my opinion, you would be acting within the limits of your visa if you were offering guidance to your Thai agent while you are in Pattaya as long as you do not work for them.

If you need advice, then I recommend that you contact justtony on this board. He works for an excellent law firm and he should be able to help you find a compnay who could act as your advertising and sales lead handling agent.

Just another approach.

Doggie

Poochai

You might find it more cost-effective to have a company that is already registered here take the response from your advertising. This would save you all the hassle of setting up a Thai company and then getting a work permit.

If you have a non-immigrant B visa and you own or work for a company outside Thailand, you are entitiled to "investigate business opportunities" on behalf of your overseas employer. If your company is registered outside Thailand, then it would be perfectly legal for you to appoint a Thai Company as your agent to advertise and handle the sales leads. In my opinion, you would be acting within the limits of your visa if you were offering guidance to your Thai agent while you are in Pattaya as long as you do not work for them.

If you need advice, then I recommend that you contact justtony on this board. He works for an excellent law firm and he should be able to help you find a compnay who could act as your advertising and sales lead handling agent.

Just another approach.

Doggie

Thanks for the help, I just shot an Email to Justtony!

I am sure Tony will help you out. He and his team are doing a great job on a complicated property ownership issue for me. I highly recommend them.

Doggie

I am sure Tony will help you out. He and his team are doing a great job on a complicated property ownership issue for me. I highly recommend them.

Doggie

Thank You So Much For The Advise, Tony is great! I will definitely be doing business with him in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly, let me explain ........... I don't live in LOS so don't know the exact laws relating to business there, online or not.

Also, I AM NOT A LAWYER ......... but ........

Having an offshore company (shell) registered in, for example, Panama, which recieves income generated from outside of Panama, would mean that you are not liable to pay tax in Panama or any other country.

You could then pay yourself a 'salary' as an employee of said Panamaian company into whichever country your bank account is based.

That said, here in Italy, if you are a 'resident' of the Italy and advertise to, and invoice other Italian companies, then you are liable to pay Italian Tax. Obviously.

However, if you are a non-resident, simply in the country for 'business development' purposes on behalf of your parent company ........ this is not a problem.

All depends on your circumstances I guess.

Just take all the time you need to carefully think through your liabilities.

The only additional advice I can give here was given to me by another legal business. If you earn money outside Thailand (internet for example) and spend it here (via rent/restaurants and supporting a Thai Family), the Thai authorities will not get too excited about it. If you start earning money from within Thailand, then they will be very interested in it.

BTW, you will not be permitted to have a wholly owned company there - there must be Thai partners. From memory, you must also have 2 million baht to invest in the enterprise.

There is s further complication. I have a full work permit: Yet I am not allowed to run a side internet business or do any work which isn't written down in my work permit. As a result, I do not have any internet or offshore business interests ;-)

A good business lawyer is worth consulting.

Rhoel