Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Bike Training

Hi

Well it looks like our BKK - Pattaya relocation may become permanent and I am interested in getting a motorbike. I passed my bike test in the UK when I was 17 but haven't ridden a bike of any description since I was 20 which was 27 years ago now.

I'm not too comfortable just hopping back on one and would like some kind of refresher course and maybe even a Thai bike licence.

Anyone know where I can do both?

From what I've seen there, you can probably save yourself some time and money if you just take a hammer and smash both your legs, then go to the hospital and get fixed.

Hmm - not overly useful, though possible true. What would you suggest then Owen?

We have a car already but the missus commandeers that every day and I wanted a little freedom. Baht busses / bike taxis are OK for the first few weeks but after that it becomes a real drag walking to the main road and back a few times each day.

Welcome back!

I started a Driving Lesson thread some time ago and received the following usefull reply. I know you are only interested in some bike refresher but maybe this could be a starting point.

"Yes ! I found a place where you can take driving lessons. The school is located in Naklua. Coming from Pattaya it's on the left side about 100 meter before the (old) market. The name is (translated from Thai): Naklua School Driving Car.

The owner / instructor is a friendly man of (say 25) years, speaks reasonable English and his name is Bright. He can be contacted on 01 428 4429.

There are various schedules for lessons available, but I booked for a kind of a refresher course which costs me 3000 Baht for 10 hours. This also includes assistance to obtain a Thai Driving License.

There are (at least) 2 cars available: a Mitsubishi Trident and a Isuzu D-Max. The latter has double brakes and clutch. I was assured that both cars had full insurance coverage and during lessons the instructor was liable for 'damage'.

Tomorrow at 12.00 hours I will get my first lesson. So if you hear shortly after twelve a big bang than you know .....

• 4 weeks later...

I'd suggest you go ahead and buy a small scooter(AND A HELMET). Go to a deserted road and practice starting and stopping for awhile. Then practice turning within a 5-6 m radius. You'll be comfortable on the bike in no time. Keep practicing for a couple months before you get in heavy traffic.

Hmm - not overly useful, though possible true. What would you suggest then Owen?

We have a car already but the missus commandeers that every day and I wanted a little freedom. Baht busses / bike taxis are OK for the first few weeks but after that it becomes a real drag walking to the main road and back a few times each day.

Take the money you will save for hospital bills and buy a little Suzuki jeep. They are not expensive and are a lot of fun. OR, bite the bullet like I did and buy another car/truck. I now have a new Ford Focus Ghia and a Nissan pickup truck. You KNOW which one I drive. A hint, it's not the car. :D

I have not ridden a bike at home for more than your 27 years ,but I did feel that I could handle it and I have for the last 3 years when I am in funtown.My only suggestion is that if you dont feel confident in your ability now then no ammount of training will be any use as what you seem to lack is confidence in your bike skills,and IMHO Pattaya is not the place to try and get them back,if you can afford it then a small car might be a better bet .

A friend of mine left several square inches of his skin on the road. He sold the bike and somewhere found the ugliest little Daihatsu that I ever saw. Pipe bumpers front and rear. I rode in it with him ONE time. He challenged everyone and everyone got out of his way. He paid 50,000 baht for that little bucket of bolts.

Sukhumvit Rd seems to be the place for bike training, several motorbike accidents every day and maybe 50 % farang drivers. A small car is good for protection inside Pattaya with a low speed almost everywhere today, but out on Sukhumvit the reckless drivers are sitting in big lorries or buses and driving a big car - BMW or Mercedes Benz - is what I recommend.

Edited by elef
Take the money you will save for hospital bills and buy a little Suzuki jeep. They are not expensive and are a lot of fun. OR, bite the bullet like I did and buy another car/truck. I now have a new Ford Focus Ghia and a Nissan pickup truck. You KNOW which one I drive. A hint, it's not the car. :hijack

Cheers everyone - we bought a 2nd car :clap2

Cheers everyone - we bought a 2nd car :clap1

VERY wise decision. What did you buy?

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

Well it looks like our BKK - Pattaya relocation may become permanent and I am interested in getting a motorbike. I passed my bike test in the UK when I was 17 but haven't ridden a bike of any description since I was 20 which was 27 years ago now.

I'm not too comfortable just hopping back on one and would like some kind of refresher course and maybe even a Thai bike licence.

Anyone know where I can do both?

Do you still have the bike entitlement on your British licence ?if so you can get a bike licence just by applying with the relevant paperwork, others on the forum can tell you how and where ,I did it a few years ago. To be honest with you my bike riding days in the UK were a lot longer ago than yours , but unless you are looking at a big bike I would just buy a small ,115-125 cc, bike and ride of into the sunset and learn as you ride ,just like you did back in the UK. If you take care and ride slowly you will get back all of your riding skills in a very short time .If you really think you need lessons from a Thai driver ,then I would consider never driving or riding in Thailand as you confidence level would seem to be far to low to cope with the many nutters on Pattayas roads. I don't wish to get down on you but most bike riders need little instruction to pass the UK test and none at all to pass the Thai test.

I have just realised how old this post is ,and that I have given a previous answer, but I will leave it up as this answer is about the same as my previous one with some extras.

Edited by sinbinjack