Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Airbus and Boeing products running behind schedule

I think the problem for the US politicos is that they used the correct criteria. :clap1

Hi,

The only criteria should be which is the best plane.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You guys will have to carry on this ridiculous topic without BigD, but rest assured, he will be able to read it.

So few Rolls Royce Trent engines used on the A380 and so many problems.

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Boeing KC-767 Tanker Cost Advantage Grows As Fuel Prices Soar

Conklin and de Decker, an independent aviation research company, recently recalculated fuel price costs for the Boeing 767-200ER and the Airbus A330-200.

As the U.S. military expresses concern over escalating fuel costs stressing defense budgets, Boeing reports that the U.S. Air Force could pay as much as $44 billion more in fuel bills over 40 years to operate a fleet of 179 Airbus A330-200 aerial refueling tankers, compared with a similar number of tankers based on the Boeing 767-200ER.

This assessment is based on a Conklin and de Decker Aviation Information study, funded by Boeing, that calculated the Air Force's cost with oil at $130 per barrel, $150 per barrel and $200 per barrel. Oil prices hit a record high last week above $147 a barrel, and many analysts expect prices to continue climbing.

Escalating fuel costs are a critical military concern. As the largest consumer of fuel in the Department of Defense (DOD), the Air Force, for example, spends an additional $600 million annually for each $10 increase in the price of a barrel of oil, spending approximately $6.6 billion on aviation fuel costs in 2006 alone.

"Boeing's primary focus and objective, as always, is on our customers' operational needs -- and affordable life cycle cost is a key component to any aircraft acquisition," said Dave Bowman, vice president and general manager of Boeing Tanker Programs. "This is even more evident today as our Air Force customer seeks the most affordable and capable solution."

Conklin and de Decker, an independent aviation research company, recently recalculated fuel price costs for the Boeing 767-200ER and the Airbus A330-200, popular commercial twin-aisle aircraft that are being converted to military aerial refueling tankers.

The larger, heavier A330 is less fuel-efficient than the 767-200ER and, as a result, consumes 24 percent more fuel per trip than the 767-200ER. The study also factored in estimated costs of refining, transportation, storage, handling and fueling the aircraft.

The Air Force's Request for Proposals (RFP) called for a highly capable, medium-sized, low-risk and low-cost refueling tanker to replace its aging fleet of KC-135 tankers. However, on Feb. 29, the Air Force selected Northrop Grumman-EADS to build 179 next-generation tankers based on the A330.

The DOD called for a recompetition after the Government Accountability Office (GAO) urged the Air Force to reexamine 10 of 15 significant issues in Boeing's protest of the contract award. Among the sustained issues, the GAO concluded that fuel costs needed reevaluation.

The report stated that "even a small increase in the amount of fuel that is burned per hour by a particular aircraft would have a dramatic impact on the overall fuel costs." The Air Force is now preparing a new RFP for an expedited competition.

They missed a bit out ............

This assessment is based the Conklin & de Decker Aviation Information study, conducted earlier this year and funded by Boeing, ...

I find it quite amusing too Tom since airlines have replaced their 767 fleets with A330s. Maybe the Air force should ask airlines like EVA why they don't fly 767s anymore. And they were once strictly a Boeing customer.

Edited by eltib

PARIS - Airbus is conducting a "major review" of its delivery schedule for the A380 superjumbo, the company's chief executive said Tuesday, a plane that has been plagued by delays.

Speaking at a company site in the United Arab Emirates, CEO Thomas Enders acknowledged that the goal of delivering four A380s per month by 2010 won't be easy.

The review is "standard practice" at this stage in the plane's development, he said.

"We're currently conducting a major review" of the program, Enders said at the opening of an Airbus material and logistics center in Dubai, headquarters of A380 customer Emirates Airlines.

His comments were relayed by Airbus spokesman Stefan Schaffrath. The spokesman withdrew earlier comments saying Airbus is "confident more than ever" about the program that he had attributed to Enders.

Airbus has previously said it is committed to handing over 13 A380s in 2008, 25 in 2009, and 45 in 2010.

"The A380 is in the critical phase of steep production ramp-up," Schaffrath said.

Airbus is reviewing whether workers and suppliers are ready for the change from individual plane production to full industrialization, and whether the delivery schedule can be maintained, Schaffrath said.

The planemaker has already been hit with penalties for late delivery of the A380, which combined with spiraling development costs wiped billions from Airbus profits.

Airbus has delivered the first four of six superjumbos destined for Singapore Airlines. The European planemaker will have to redesign cabins and electrical layouts for Emirates Airlines and Qantas.

Enders said in October that increasing A380 production is Airbus' greatest challenge for the coming years. The workload of making one A380 is equivalent to eight of the single-aisle A320, Airbus' most popular jet.

Airbus has gone through five CEOs in the last two years, and is now in the midst of a restructuring plan that would cut 10,000 jobs over four years and sell off plants France, Germany and Britain. Airbus recently said it would create a holding company and keep three of the German plants.

Workers at three of Airbus' four French factories went on strike Tuesday for the second time in a week, demanding equal treatment for French and German employees. Thousands staged a demonstration in front of an administrative site near Toulouse.

Also Tuesday, Airbus announced that Tunisair has ordered 16 new jetliners from the European planemaker.

Airbus said in a statement that the "letter of acceptance" from the Tunisian carrier covers the purchase of 10 single-aisle A320s, three wide-body A330s and three of the revamped, long-range A350 XWBs.

Airbus did not provide a value for the deal. Based on list prices, the deal would be worth about $1.94 billion (1.24 billion euros) — though airlines often negotiate substantial discounts.

Shares of EADS, Airbus' parent company, fell 1.4 percent to 15.47 euros ($24.19).

Only 5 CEO have been sacked in the last 2 years. :chogdee

LOL.

I knew you would pick up that report BigD. :lovee Now go away and try to figure out how long ago since the report first appeared. One day? One week? One month? Three months? :clap2

Let us know what you come up with. :unsure: :clap1 :clap1

I'll give you a couple of clues ...... it was over 150 posts prior to this one and you, yourself, made the post. :clap1 :clap1 :D

Edited by CheshireTom
LOL. :D

I knew you would pick up that report BigD. :P Now go away and try to figure out how long ago since the report first appeared. One day? One week? One month? Three months? :clueless

Let us know what you come up with. :P

I'll give you a couple of clues ...... it was over 150 posts prior to this one and you, yourself, made the post. :clap2 :clap1 :ang2

By EMMA VANDORE, Associated Press Writer

Thu Jul 24, 3:01 PM ET

PARIS - Airbus is conducting a "major review" of its delivery schedule for the A380 superjumbo, the company's chief executive said Tuesday, a plane that has been plagued by delays.

Speaking at a company site in the United Arab Emirates, CEO Thomas Enders acknowledged that the goal of delivering four A380s per month by 2010 won't be easy.

The review is "standard practice" at this stage in the plane's development, he said.

"We're currently conducting a major review" of the program, Enders said at the opening of an Airbus material and logistics center in Dubai, headquarters of A380 customer Emirates Airlines.

His comments were relayed by Airbus spokesman Stefan Schaffrath. The spokesman withdrew earlier comments saying Airbus is "confident more than ever" about the program that he had attributed to Enders.

Airbus has previously said it is committed to handing over 13 A380s in 2008, 25 in 2009, and 45 in 2010.

"The A380 is in the critical phase of steep production ramp-up," Schaffrath said.

Airbus is reviewing whether workers and suppliers are ready for the change from individual plane production to full industrialization, and whether the delivery schedule can be maintained, Schaffrath said.

The planemaker has already been hit with penalties for late delivery of the A380, which combined with spiraling development costs wiped billions from Airbus profits.

Airbus has delivered the first four of six superjumbos destined for Singapore Airlines. The European planemaker will have to redesign cabins and electrical layouts for Emirates Airlines and Qantas.

Enders said in October that increasing A380 production is Airbus' greatest challenge for the coming years. The workload of making one A380 is equivalent to eight of the single-aisle A320, Airbus' most popular jet.

Airbus has gone through five CEOs in the last two years, and is now in the midst of a restructuring plan that would cut 10,000 jobs over four years and sell off plants France, Germany and Britain. Airbus recently said it would create a holding company and keep three of the German plants.

Workers at three of Airbus' four French factories went on strike Tuesday for the second time in a week, demanding equal treatment for French and German employees. Thousands staged a demonstration in front of an administrative site near Toulouse.

Also Tuesday, Airbus announced that Tunisair has ordered 16 new jetliners from the European planemaker.

Airbus said in a statement that the "letter of acceptance" from the Tunisian carrier covers the purchase of 10 single-aisle A320s, three wide-body A330s and three of the revamped, long-range A350 XWBs.

Airbus did not provide a value for the deal. Based on list prices, the deal would be worth about $1.94 billion (1.24 billion euros) — though airlines often negotiate substantial discounts.

Shares of EADS, Airbus' parent company, fell 1.4 percent to 15.47 euros ($24.19).

Looks like July 24, 2008 to me. Still 5 CEO in 2 years. :thumbup

Looks like July 24, 2008 to me. Still 5 CEO in 2 years. :P

Funny that you referred to the same review several months ago ........ to quote you then ...... :P

"At the end of April 2008, Airbus CEO Thomas Enders stated that the company would be reviewing the production plans.

“This is a very steep ramp up and this is something one always needs to be concerned about,” Enders said.

It's a sad day when you can't even remember your own posts ........ the quoted share price should have told you that the "news" was months out of date. :D

Shares of EADS, Airbus' parent company, fell 1.4 percent to 15.47 euros ($24.19)

As for your 5 CEOs nonsense ........ Airbus had joint CEOs, Louis Gallois and Tom Enders. Enders is still CEO (and Gallios took over at EADS) so perhaps you can identify the five mystery CEOs who have been sacked?

Only 5 CEO have been sacked in the last 2 years
Edited by CheshireTom

A journo can't even get the facts right :unsure:

Singapore have 5 in service already.....

Emirates is due to take delivery of it's first one next week.

A journo can't even get the facts right :banghead

Singapore have 5 in service already.....

Emirates is due to take delivery of it's first one next week.

The journo was right when the story was originally published. It's just that BigD didn't realise that he was posting crap from back in April.

Funny that you referred to the same review several months ago ........ to quote you then ...... :D

"At the end of April 2008, Airbus CEO Thomas Enders stated that the company would be reviewing the production plans.

“This is a very steep ramp up and this is something one always needs to be concerned about,” Enders said.

It's a sad day when you can't even remember your own posts ........ the quoted share price should have told you that the "news" was months out of date.

As for your 5 CEOs nonsense ........ Airbus had joint CEOs, Louis Gallois and Tom Enders. Enders is still CEO (and Gallios took over at EADS) so perhaps you can identify the five mystery CEOs who have been sacked?

I don't need to follow stock prices as I'm no longer invested in the market. Any questions on the facts of that article email the AP writer.

I don't need to follow stock prices as I'm no longer invested in the market. Any questions on the facts of that article email the AP writer.

Why? The comment "Only 5 CEO have been sacked in the last 2 years" was made by you, not the writer of the preceding article. :bigsmile: Are you saying that you can't corroborate what you claimed? :D

Why? The comment "Only 5 CEO have been sacked in the last 2 years" was made by you, not the writer of the preceding article. :bigsmile: Are you saying that you can't corroborate what you claimed? :D

"Airbus has gone through five CEOs in the last two years, and is now in the midst of a restructuring plan that would cut 10,000 jobs over four years and sell off plants France, Germany and Britain. Airbus recently said it would create a holding company and keep three of the German plants."

If I were you and I'm glad I'm not, I'd reread the article and check out the above paragraph taken directly from the article. :D

Edited by BigDUSA
"Airbus has gone through five CEOs in the last two years, and is now in the midst of a restructuring plan that would cut 10,000 jobs over four years and sell off plants France, Germany and Britain. Airbus recently said it would create a holding company and keep three of the German plants."

If I were you and I'm glad I'm not, I'd reread the article and check out the above paragraph taken directly from the article. :bigsmile:

No, BigD ......... you were quite specific that 5 CEOs had been sacked in the last 2 years. The article doesn't say that at all, does it? Some, or none, may have moved sideways to Eurocopter or the defence arm or been promoted to more senior positions in EADS ........... you, quite simply, have no idea. :D

How's the relocation plans coming along? :D

No, BigD ......... you were quite specific that 5 CEOs had been sacked in the last 2 years. The article doesn't say that at all, does it? Some, or none, may have moved sideways to Eurocopter or the defence arm or been promoted to more senior positions in EADS ........... you, quite simply, have no idea. :allright

How's the relocation plans coming along?

Trying to split hairs, yeah right 5 CEO gone and they were moved to higher levels so their incompetence........... :allright Order books are full, 10K jobs soon to be gone. Factories to be closed or sold. Major fuck ups with two planes lines under development and yeah they've been promoted.

Relocation plans are moving right along and we expect to make the move when were ready. My wifes mother died and she's the executor of her estate so this has caused the delay.

Edited by BigDUSA
Trying to split hairs, yeah right 5 CEO gone and they were moved to higher levels so their incompetence........... :allright Order books are full, 10K jobs soon to be gone. Factories to be closed or sold. Major fuck ups with two planes lines under development and yeah they've been promoted.

Relocation plans are moving right along and we expect to make the move when were ready.

Tell us the 5 CEOs that you reckon have gone then ........... :allright

My wifes mother died and she's the executor of her estate so this has caused the delay.

Sure.

I have to make a correction. My wife's mother died a few months ago and her aunt died recently and yes she is executor of her will.

I have to make a correction. My wife's mother died a few months ago and her aunt died recently and yes she is executor of her will.

No need to make a correction. Folk of a certain age are often confused between relatives. :clap2

Anyway, back to the present, or should it be future ........

Emirates, the fast-expanding Gulf airline, announced Monday, July 28 it was ordering another 60 Airbus jets as it picked up its first A380 jumbo jet from the Airbus factory in Hamburg.

The newly ordered planes, A350 and A330-300 models, are smaller than the two-deck A380, the world's biggest passenger plane. At official list prices, the value of the 60-plane order is some $13 billion (8.25 billion euros).

The colorful handover ceremony Monday was the first from a new A380 delivery centre set up by Airbus in Hamburg to accommodate airlines during the weeks of testing before the money is handed over and a jet is flown away.

The only other A380s yet in service are five with Singapore Airlines. They were picked up from the Airbus fuselage factory in Toulouse, France, which divides up the tasks of manufacture with the Hamburg factory.

The chief of the United Arab Emirates airline, Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed al-Maktoum, said the airline had ordered 30 of the A350 model and 30 of the A330-300 jets.

It had already ordered 58 of the biggest in Airbus' range, the A380.

"The future has arrived," he said of the jumbo's start of service, adding to hundreds of Airbus staff: "Thank you. You have made history."

Edited by CheshireTom
Emirates’ inaugural A380 commercial flight will depart Dubai International Airport at 1100hrs on Friday 1st August bound for New York. It will arrive at John F Kennedy International Airport at 1700hrs local time. The flight, which is already fully booked, will take between 12.5 and 13 hours, compared to 14 hours on a Boeing 777.

Dubai bound 29th July and then on 1st August becomes the sixth A380 to enter commercial service..... :bigsmile:

It seems that, contrary to Scally and Fruitcase's opinions (surprise, surprise) EADS restructuring is coming along pretty well

Airbus maker buoyed by profit jump

PARIS (AP) -- EADS, the parent company of planemaker Airbus, said Wednesday that net profit increased 46 percent in the second quarter after a "remarkable order intake" and cost savings.

EADS's profit has surged on the back of orders for its new A380 superjumbo.

European Aeronautic Defense & Space said net profit for the three months to June rose to euro118 million (US$185.32 million) compared with euro81 million a year earlier. Revenue advanced 5 percent to euro9.89 billion (US$15.53 billion).

EADS did not change its guidance for revenue and earnings this year, and shares fell in early trading Wednesday. At midmorning, the stock was down 3.2 percent or at euro12.27 ($19.27).

Airbus' underlying earnings looked "very good," Societe Generale analyst Zafar Khan said, raising the question of why the company hadn't raised its earnings guidance. "A target of euro1.8 billion ($2.83 billion) for the year suggests only euro600 million ($942 million) in the second half, or half the first half level," Khan said.

EADS did raise its expectation for aircraft orders this year, saying it expects Airbus to capture more than 850 orders in 2008, 150 more than it predicted in May.

"Our order book is at a record level," EADS CEO Louis Gallois said in a statement.

At the end of June, EADS' order book was worth a record euro354.2 billion (US$556.27 billion).

The results do not include orders booked at the Farnborough International Airshow earlier this month, where Airbus emerged as the clear winner with orders for 247 planes worth US$38.7 billion (euroUS24.64 billion) at catalog prices.

U.S. competitor Boeing Co. claimed a show tally of 197 planes worth $US23.1 billion (euro14.71 billion), although many of the deals were already on its books. Without them, the Chicago-based plane maker's deals at the world's biggest air show drop to just US$5.6 billion.

EADS' results contrast with those of Boeing, which reported a 19-percent decline in second-quarter profit to $US852 million (euro542.5 million) because of late delivery of military aircraft and rising costs from the postponed introduction of its 787 jetliner.

EADS said it booked a charge of euro715 million (US$1.1 billion) to cover compensation for late delivery of its A380 superjumbo. The changes to the delivery schedule were announced in May, but at that stage the financial impact was not calculated.

The scale of the hit isn't surprising, Khan said.

"EADS doesn't do things in half measures," Khan said, "We knew there would be a charge, just didn't have an idea of how big."

Analysts also expect EADS to take a charge for delays to its new military transport plane the A400M. "I expect this will probably be made in the second half," Khan said.

The quarterly results take EADS' first-half net profit to euro403 million (US$632.91 million), a 332 percent increase from the same period of 2007, when Airbus was burdened by heavy restructuring provisions and launch charges for its A350 medium capacity jet. Revenue in the first six months advanced 8 percent to euro19.74 billion ($31 billion).

EADS said the dollar's slide against the euro knocked euro700 million ($1.09 billion) off profits in the first half.

Unlike its U.S. rival, many of Airbus' costs are in euros, though it sells its planes in dollars. EADS claims every 10 cent drop in the dollar cuts euro1 billion ($US1.57 billion) from earnings.

"To maintain competitiveness, EADS has to tackle the ongoing US dollar weakness," Gallois said in the statement.

To compensate, he confirmed that EADS is seeking an additional euro1 billion (US$1.57 billion) in savings in 2011 and 2012. That is on top of its restructuring program, dubbed Power-8, which aims to shed 10,000 jobs and reduce annual spending by euro2.1 billion ($US3.3 billion) by 2010.

The extra measures will be presented to workers in the autumn, EADS said.

Gallois' hopes to move more of EADS costs into the dollar zone suffered a setback when a $US35 billion (euro22.29 billion) competition it won to supply the U.S. airforce with fueling tankers was reopened.

To compensate, he confirmed that EADS is seeking an additional euro1 billion (US$1.57 billion) in savings in 2011 and 2012. That is on top of its restructuring program, dubbed Power-8, which aims to shed 10,000 jobs and reduce annual spending by euro2.1 billion ($US3.3 billion) by 2010.

The extra measures will be presented to workers in the autumn, EADS said.

I'm sure the 10,000 workers who are getting sacked are quite enthused about how EADS is doing. :clueless

I'm sure the 10,000 workers who are getting sacked are quite enthused about how EADS is doing. :behead

You seem fascinated by this "sacked" word. First of all your 5 CEOs nonsense and now this. :leaving

No employees have been, or are being, sacked. Some factories are being sold to third parties as business entities and any sackings in the interim would contravene Euro-wide employment legislation, as would any negative impact on their current T&Cs of employment. :clueless

Hi,

It looks like EADS was a good investment for the Euro taxpayer. :D Meanwhile Freddy and Fannie(and BigD) SCREW the US taxpayer. :D

You seem fascinated by this "sacked" word. First of all your 5 CEOs nonsense and now this.

No employees have been, or are being, sacked. Some factories are being sold to third parties as business entities and any sackings in the interim would contravene Euro-wide employment legislation, as would any negative impact on their current T&Cs of employment. :D

No nonsense on my part. Five CEO gone in two years. Going going and soon to be gone are 10,000 employees. Factories to be sold or closed. Simply brilliant. :D