Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Hi,

A while back I was surfing and found this:

http://bulapictures.com/gallery/eatrats.html

EEEEEHHHHHHHH!!!! :poke

I SWEAR that I ate something just like that last picture on Walking Street. I could not figure out the taste. It was NOT Chicken, Beef, or Pork.

I remember thinking: "This is pretty good, I wonder why i can never get MY Bar-B-Q to taste like THIS?" :bj2

Now I know why.

Anyone else eat anything that looks unfamiliar.

crazedchef

thinking he ate a RAT in Pattaya :bigsmile:

thinking he ate a RAT in Pattaya eyecrazy

You never say "never" in paradise, but this is not high on your list of worries. Any seller selling rat can't do it secretly for long, and if she's lucky she'll just be put out of business and not harmed physically. Lots of rumours - dog, rat, various other animals, but it's not economically viable in the ways above, and in the way of staying in business. People actually care what they eat, not just you.

The Thais wouldnt dream of eating a common household rat unless they were pretty hard pressed.

They eat Rice field rats which are a different species. Buggered if I know what the difference is though.

The Thais wouldnt dream of eating a common household rat unless they were pretty hard pressed.

They eat Rice field rats which are a different species. Buggered if I know what the difference is though.

You get rice with that ?

Well, the difference is the diet. "City rats" eat garbage, pretty much, and that means they eat meat among other things. Country rats are vegetarians and fatted up. City rats are pretty filthy, most of them, while country rats are pretty sleek.

Ayutthaya province used to have an annual rat festival which was also useful at getting a few tens of thousands of the animals out of the rice fields. For all I know they still have it. They paid the kids a baht a tail to bring them in, and they had barbecues and other rat dishes. They do that in southern Vietnam occasionally. I don't know anyone in those countries who'd get close to a city rat. Also, I've never heard of any place where they rat regularly - by choice, that is.

Hi,

I'd say the field rats would be healthy and tasty enough. In US I believe they eat squirrels and in S.America they eat guinea pigs. I like squirrels so would not eat them, but I'm sure they are a delicacy in some parts of America.

I'd say the field rats would be healthy and tasty enough. In US I believe they eat squirrels and in S.America they eat guinea pigs. I like squirrels so would not eat them, but I'm sure they are a delicacy in some parts of America.

"Delicacy" is overdoing it. But I shot squirrels and my mom cooked them up. I don't exactly hanker for it, but it helped me have a healthy upbringing.

Most of this stuff is just cultural. You like squirrels, think they're kind of cute, right? I consider them rats. People love to eat crabs, but do you know where they live and what they eat? People play with bunny wunny wabbits, but not me -- yum-yum! Normal everday dishes can be weird. A lot of people scarf up liver, but wouldn't touch intestines. Not logical, just the way you're raised. Ducks and geese and even chickens eat absolutely foul stuff.

People eat some really horrible crap because they're brought up in a certain way that allows it. Not to mention catfish and carp. We've had several threads already on the lizards they eat in the Northeast. Don't you notice the lizard-breath on the Soi 6 girls? They leave it on your cock!

Have set traps in the rice fields with my misses brother and gone back in the morning to see what the results are and on a good day you may get one! They are quite expensive on the local morning market due to the difficulty in catching them and also the flavour due to them living off the land(organic :bigsmile: )barbecued same as chicken bones they taste very good and also have plenty of meat on them.I should imagine nothing like the vermin running around the sewers?? of pattaya or bangkok.

Anyway i"m off ratcatching yum

Don"t get me started on pussys!! :D

Hello,

I was not disgusted until I found out. Even then, I was amazed because what I thought was Rat was actually pretty good.

It was a dude at one of those little carts with the open coal grill, I was Mau Mau (spelling?) and hungry, scarfed down the Bar-B-Q and thought it was delicious.

For about 20 years I was a cook/chef in a LOT of different restaurants in Texas and I could not figure out the flavor or the bone structure of what I was eating.

I actually thought there was a chance that it was RAT, but I never got sick.

I also ate lots of the fried bugs, like popcorn if you pull the legs off.

Looking closely at the pictures, especially the last one, it really does look tasty if you did not see all of the pictures before.

I did not get sick, and now I have another story, but I think I will look a little closer before munching down.

crazedchef

When I was stationed in Vietnam, I'd see the Vietnamese carry a rat home by it's tail. Hmmm good eats that day. :banghead

When I was stationed in Vietnam, I'd see the Vietnamese carry a rat home by it's tail. Hmmm good eats that day. :banghead

Hello,

Are you sure it wasn't a Chihuaha (woof!)?

crazedchef

Southern cooking in the Us includes muscrat,racoon, possum. armadillo, squirrel. Asian rice mice are popular throughout SA. They are fatter and very tasty and yes I have eaten them.

Pig intestine

Bull nuts

snake- rattle, boa etc

sea slug

sea urchine

frog legs

frog eggs

salmon roe

beef tongue

vegamite

kim chee

bugs

Well, anyway you get the idea ones persons gross out is anothers cuisine...trave and go with it...wash it down with some craap Pattaya bar owners call tequila...Not

I forgot the craziest...

Blood pudding

Haggis

Carpaccio- beef

So much to enjoy...mmmmm

Southern cooking in the Us includes muscrat,racoon, possum. armadillo, squirrel. Asian rice mice are popular throughout SA. They are fatter and very tasty and yes I have eaten them.

You can see intestines at lots of the soup carts in Pattaya. The "kway teow" soup is a steal from China. They turn them inside out and scrub them. They're good that way.

Sea slugs are on the menu at every seafood restaurant. Thais eat frog legs AND entire frogs, lots of restaurant menus have them. No salmon here, but all kinds of fish eggs - crab roe is the most lusted after I think.

Beef tongue stew is on the menu of any decent Thai restaurant, and it's quite good with rice - totally unspicy. Bugs as you know are just another form of popcorn, and kim chee is regular at Korean and Japanese restaurants.

But no one sir, NO ONE born or bred in Thailand eats Vegemite. There ARE certain standards you have to live up to.

Blood pudding

Haggis

Carpaccio- beef

At the all-time top of my disgusting-list is poi. You can take your luau and shove it. I'd rather have Vegemite.

Birds nest soup

Shark fin soup

abalone

pigeon/quail

sea cucumber

sea urchinv(uni)

monk fish liver(ankimo)

foie grasv(goose liver fattened on a diet of high cholesterol grain)

stew of pigs blood and innards

goat meat cooked with some of the bile from the gall bladder

snake poison mixed with the blood of the snake into a cup of brandy

bat meat skinned looking like chicken in the market places

of course, dog and cats

horsemeat and monkey meat

large lizards about 3 plus feet long

wild boar

wild deer

water buffalo

fish eggs

different species of crabs/clams

these are just some of the unusual cuisine in asia.

Edited by dotcom_OD
these are just some of the unusual cuisine in asia.

Jeez. I just realised there is not one thing on that list that I consider unusual. That's a bit of a test of an Old Asia Hand, I believe. damn!

At the all-time top of my disgusting-list is poi.

'Poi' is that the raw beef meat chopped and mixed with herbs and very spicy? I thought that was 'Koi' But if it's the same thing, I can eat it. It's ok :cry2

In Belgium we eat a similar dish but we only use almost fat free red meat (Thai mix it with intestines and fat), but it's the same principal.

We eat frog legs too and wild boar and beef tongue (when prepared right it's very good).

We also eat cow's udder. I wonder if that is eaten in other countries too. We buy it already boiled, cut in pastes and then we fry it.

'Poi' is that the raw beef meat chopped and mixed with herbs and very spicy?

Oh my, no. What you describe sounds quite good.

Poi is processed taro, sort of a lump of starch that looks like a lump of your mom's laundry lard, but not nearly that appetising. The thing is, though, that while it looks absolutely horrible, it is gaggingly bad to eat.

Oh here's a good description:

"a thick, purple-colored paste made by pounding taro"

It's what they eat instead of bread, rice or potatoes in the South Pacific and other suffering places.

But no one sir, NO ONE born or bred in Thailand eats Vegemite. There ARE certain standards you have to live up to.

At the all-time top of my disgusting-list is poi. You can take your luau and shove it. I'd rather have Vegemite.

Yes, I have a Aussie mate in BKK who has two kids he is feeding vegemite to. I think if you get them young enough they aquire a taste. I am not a fan of poi. I eat most of the other items listed with anticipation.

Hate to tell you my my wife's sister (born and bred in Thailand) is just about finishing a three month holiday with us and she loves the good old vegemite sandwiches. Never eaten it before but loves the stuff. I am going to buy her a big jar to take back to LOS with her so she doesn't miss it too much.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Kev
Hate to tell you my my wife's sister (born and bred in Thailand) is just about finishing a three month holiday grin

Fruit of my own sperm puts KETCHUP on her hot dogs. Jeez. What next? Mayo on the french fries? Oh, wait, sorry.

But totally weird exceptions can be ignored.

Vegemite sandwich. Got a real ring to it, like sheep's eyeballs. Yucko. And a Thai, too! She ought to lose her passport.