Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Thai school system

My limited knowledge is first 6 years no cost, but after?? Thanks, Joe.

There is 12 years government provided schooling (Prathom 1-6 and Matthayom 1-6), of which the first 9 years are mandatory attendance. Costs vary greatly but include, as a minimum, the cost of books and uniforms.

Both thaivisa.com and ajarn.com will provide better sources of detailed info.

No possible answer. The cost ranges from very close to zero at some wat-schools to more than 2 million baht per school year at private schools. People pick what they can afford in that price range. I think to spend more than 3 million you'd have to send the kid out of Thailand and count transportation and living expenses, so figure 2.5 to 3 million a year would probably be the current upper limit.

Tom,Joe, Thank you gentleman for your reply, 0-the sky is wide open. I am hoping 40-50,000 baht/year will afford a little better for her. Joe.

Joe... great name!!

Joe, if you are going to put her in a Thai-langauge school, your price range is very do-able indeed for a very decent urban school.

You may spend a little more than that for English-international, though. As far as that goes, don't be put off by the prices at the toney schools that advertise a lot. You can do pretty well in the high five-figures.

I am paying 20,000bht per year for 2 children. This is for school in Udonthani, vs the village school which is free, or close to it. This includes most expenses, but there are always extras, lunch, snacks, after school snacks, before school snacks, during school snacks. My lady's daughter is pom pui mak mak and try as she might, she just can't say NO! to her. Oh hell I buy KFC for her and I hate KFC. Ok I'm easy too.

I think very important children get the best education possible. I am sure there are even better schools in Udon but for now this is the best I can afford. My lady had started her daughter in Udon before we met. I began paying for the daughter last year and added son, now old enough, this year. Kudos to the lady for making education a priority without prompting.

Edited by RWB

Joe, RWB, Thank you for the reply. As Tom stated, grade1-6 at two levels. She is ten now and I have begun the preparation so have some time to add to it. I want her to have an option other than the obvious. Thank you, Joe.

Tom,Joe, Thank you gentleman for your reply, 0-the sky is wide open. I am hoping 40-50,000 baht/year will afford a little better for her. Joe.

At 40,000-50,000B/yr budget, I would look for a good government school with an MEP program. MEP, mini-English program, requires students to take all courses (usually English, math, science, social studies and P.E.) in English, except for Thai language/culture. The MEP program is designed to give students an upper-hand when they reach the university level. I think that you would not find a reputable private or international school in that price range (I think they start at around 100,000 baht/year).

I work in an MEP program at the top-ranked government school on the Eastern Seaboard, and fees are 40,000 baht/year. You would still have to pay for uniforms, books and supplies which runs about another 2,000-3,000 baht.

Be advised that MEP programs have admission tests at the M1 level. This year, my school had 150 applicants for 60 slots.

In Bangkok and Chiang Mai, you would have more school choices. In more rural areas, you would have less. You should look for the largest government school in her area, as most likely, this will be the school that received MEP funding from the Ministry of Education.

zaphodbeeblebrox, Thanks for your reply, She is a bright girl and does enjoy school and learning. I will look into Government schools and the M1 test. I will be looking for schools primarily in the area of samutsakorn.Thank you, Joe

My 10 year old step daughter is at Satit Udomseka, near Soi Tanman on the East side of Sukhumvit.

It's a kind of International school in that they have a good English program and many foreign children there. facilities are great and the teachers seem to know what they are doing. You will hear some bad things about the place but my kid seems very happy there.

I pay 28k Baht for 1 semester (About 6 months) and then you can also pay an extra 10k for a private mini bus to collect and drop off.

Uniform is about 2.5k but there is no extra charge for other supplies or food.

If you want the Special English program then the cost was around 52k per term.

I like the place but I've told the brat that if her English doesn't improve this term then I am going to dump her into a state school! Cruel Bastard that I am!!!

I wish she feared my cruelty but she knows I'm a soft touch really!

Mate, this school is in Pattaya.

I can't help you with Bangkok I'm afraid.

My son starts school for the first time next week, he is 3 and a half years old. We are sending him to Burapha. http://www.burapha.ac.th/web/index.php?opt...6&Itemid=29

The first years fees will be 33,000 plus a one off registration fee of 15,000. Books cost 2,000 and transport by bus 10,000 per year.

Spidey.

my 9 year English son who is coming to LOS to live with me (sad i know, no more butterfly!) is meant to be going to Best Burapha from november this year.

however i've read alot lately saying many expats are pulling there kids from there as there are acusations that teachers are hitting pupils and the school is doing nothing to stop it,

i've been considering Satit Udomseka as i reads they do a 70% english program which as my son does not speak any thai would be good. there website is not yet in english tho

any other alterantives would be nice to hear.

my 9 year English son who is coming to LOS to live with me (sad i know, no more butterfly!) is meant to be going to Best Burapha from november this year.

however i've read alot lately saying many expats are pulling there kids from there as there are acusations that teachers are hitting pupils and the school is doing nothing to stop it,

i've been considering Satit Udomseka as i reads they do a 70% english program which as my son does not speak any thai would be good. there website is not yet in english tho :allright

any other alterantives would be nice to hear.

Satit sounds ok but the new English program costs about double what BEST charge and is not yet proven.

Best alternative would be REPS (Rayong English Program School).Cost here is not much higher than BEST. The reason I didn't send my son there is because of the travelling to Rayong and back.

Spidey.

A friend has his kid, about 9 years old, in some school which I guess is about 50/50 and he pays about Bt20k a term with transport on top.

any idea which school ?

Satit sounds ok but the new English program costs about double what BEST charge and is not yet proven.

Best alternative would be REPS (Rayong English Program School).Cost here is not much higher than BEST. The reason I didn't send my son there is because of the travelling to Rayong and back.

Spidey.

Thanks for the plug Spidey. I am the REPS M2-3 English teacher at Rayong Wittayakom. Lots of parents do send their kids to my classes, but only as far away as Sattahip. If anyone is interested, the cost is 40.000 baht/year, and an admission exam is given every February at the M1 level. This year, we had 200 applications for 60 slots.

ZB

Thanks for the plug Spidey. I am the REPS M2-3 English teacher at Rayong Wittayakom. Lots of parents do send their kids to my classes, but only as far away as Sattahip. If anyone is interested, the cost is 40.000 baht/year, and an admission exam is given every February at the M1 level. This year, we had 200 applications for 60 slots.

ZB

certianly a long way out for those living in pattaya .. shame :D