Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Haven hotel on Soi 13

http://www.thehaven-hotel.com/home.htm

We have booked 5 rooms at the Haven at Xmas.

So on our short surprise visit 16th to the 22nd September it gave us a chance to check it out. I Only booked from 3.00 am Wednesday morning to checkout time on Thursday, just in case we didn't like it we could try somewhere else. Pay 1800 baht as it was basically 2 days at 900 baht a day.

Arrive at 3.30 am the night watch man showed us to our room as arranged no. 110 on the ground floor. Woken around 8.00 am on both days by the actives of the resident toddler (kid going on 2) this lasted about 45 mins till his mun took him out some where. Then slept soundly till 11.30 am.

P9210150.jpg

P9210151.jpg

Hotel from the Soi

Went to the hotel Restaurant for lunch which is about 100 meters from the room, called the Taste of Thailand. We never ate of the flang menu just the Thai menu with Mekong coke which got a smile from the Thai staff. We had breakfast once with lemon ice tea.

P9200091.JPG

To many Pommies eat here this Thai Omlette was nice but had to much tomato sauce.

P9200092.JPG

Paul usually had something recommend by the waitress. Once he sat down and ate with the cleaners which surprised them that he could eat it.

P9200120.JPG

We decide to stay so made the arrangements, we could have same room for 2 days then we needed to move room. So I asked if we could move room straight away to a upstairs room no problem Madam. As we only had 2 overnight bags this was a quick move to Room 116 right at top of the stairs not on the balcony :D we did have a choice of 2 rooms but as it was only another 4 days this would be fine.

Woken around 7.30 am every morning by the staff getting up and starting work (but no kid upstairs)

Every thing would settle down after about 30 mins and we were able to sleep soundly to around 11.00am. I normally have to sleep with ear plugs in hotels, only used them twice here it was really quite most of the time good old solid concrete walls. The AC were good a constant burring noise which helped with sound proofing. The filters in the first room where clean but we had to clean the ones in room 116, the rooms where a little musty but didn't take long to air out. This hotel only has 2 floors and about 20 rooms plus owners residence. I would call it a boutique hotel with access to everything.

We used the pool 2 afternoons with Mekong delivered to the pool with a smile. :poke :banana

P9170028.JPG

P9170037.JPG

Plus's

Close to everything and everything you need is with in the hotel eg: pool, bar, pool table, big screen TV and restaurant. Rooms are a good size with AC (upstairs room had fan over bed as well), TV and DVD, a laundry basket which is done every day(total cost 600 baht for 5 days washing) small table and chair's. There is a lock box in the room and you keep the key with you.

Room Photo's

P9170032.JPG

P9170029.JPG

P9170030.JPG

P9170031.JPG

P9170033.JPG

P9170034.JPG

Cost

The price does vary through out the year 700 to 1200 baht. We liked the Lek hotel but the pool atmosphere is not good and closes at 7.00pm. For a short stay (few days) I would go the Lek hotel Old Wing 850 baht rooms. But a longer stay would differently stay at The Haven. At Xmas we will pay 1200 baht plus Xmas and new year dinner compulsory extra, which we will diffidently attend as great food will be offered. Compared to the Lek hotel new wing at 1200 baht year round but are not new rooms any more and very noisy.

Negatives

If you hate golf don't stay here this is a golfers hotel, even have a special club room.

I think this is why the staff get up early to get the golfers of for the day.

If you hate kids, there was one or two Thai kids running around, but we found them cute.

Hot water in our first room good pressure, very hot but vary sensitive control took a bit to settle between Burning and Cold. Second room good pressure no hot at all told staff but never did get fixed. It didn't bother me as it was a hot time of year and I just had cold showers. Paul would do a splash and go. Then once a day go to Eden massage (so Diana) for a 1 hour oil massage and a hot shower. :banana

We have tried a few hotels in Pattaya and unless there is a good offer from a hotel in the same area

we will be retuning to The Haven.

P.S. Don't care about the Internet while on holiday's so if you need to know about Internet connection

details email hotel.

Other photo's

P9170039.JPG

P9170038.JPG

P9200088.JPG

P9200090.JPG

P9200087.JPG

http://www.thehaven-hotel.com/restaurant.htm

P9210139.jpg

P9200089.JPG

P9170035.JPG

Used to be my regular haunt till 2005. I like the place. Only don't take the room directly at the end of the path from the reception. The curtains (those days) were not dark enough to hide the goings on if you kept the light on... Also you can get disturbed by the people using the pool if you have a boisterous crowd in the pool

Edited by sick buffalo

I did like the location of Haven. TQ1 at one end and wonderful 2 at the other end of soi 13. I just couldnt stand the owners friends. A few loud drunks. :D I almost took ones life. Hassling one of my girls while we were swimming. If it wouldnt have been for his buddy. That man would have spent some serious time in the hospital. I moved out the next day. I do like their restaurant. The best tuna salad in town. later...Doorman!

Used to be my regular haunt till 2005. I like the place. Only don't take the room directly at the end of the path from the reception. The curtains (those days) were not dark enough to hide the goings on if you kept the light on... Also you can get disturbed by the people using the pool if you have a boisterous crowd in the pool

The curtains in the first room where a bit light if I were to stay longer I'd throw the blanket up over the curtains or buy bit of dark material.

Great report, thanks for the efforts, I only have one question though, isn't your next to last picture of the band in FLB?

:D

yes there were more accidental photo's added lucky I delete them as this is in the open section. :D

Good report. But if you looked at the Lek and the Haven, did you consider the Sandy Spring which is next door to the Haven?

Yes from recommendation from this board did a walk in in March no rooms available and again try to book for Xmas again no rooms available. Sandy Springs is a big hotel one thing in my favor with The Haven is the small size.

I did like the location of Haven. TQ1 at one end and wonderful 2 at the other end of soi 13. I just couldnt stand the owners friends. A few loud drunks. :fight I almost took ones life. Hassling one of my girls while we were swimming. If it wouldnt have been for his buddy. That man would have spent some serious time in the hospital. I moved out the next day. I do like their restaurant. The best tuna salad in town. later...Doorman!

I did have a loud mouth yank make a comment about my size once when I got out of the pool, caught me of guard and I thought of a good come back later but did not hear him again I wouldn't recognize him by sight.

But the Thai staff were very friendly and there were a couple of English Gentlemen we spoke with every day.

They would swim every morning to help get over the night before. :D

Edited by aussiechic
The curtains in the first room where a bit light if I were to stay longer I'd throw the blanket up over the curtains or buy bit of dark material.

Trust a woman to come out with simple practical solutions like this...but then the BGs who I was with were either dumbos or did not care...

Anyway, shall remember..thanks!

Aussiechic,

Good review. I have been a fan of The Haven for years and it's mostly down to the fact that it's a small, comfortable and accomodating hotel. Sure it has a few niggles, like the 7:30 staff activity, and in the evenings you sometimes have the golfers gathering around the watering hole to discuss the day's outcome. And yes, occasionally a loud asshole that you could do without - but you find those guys everywhere and from every part of the world.

The staff are very helpful and responsive to your needs. It's mostly family members (cousins etc.) of the owner's wife, Anna.

I do realize that another reason it appeals to me is that it is generally not a hotel that attracts the younger crowd. Prices are good. And the food is certainly good. And small is good.

CM

Glad you like it,but it still seems a rubbish place to stay just like it always was.

musty rooms

noisy kids/guests

golf duh

rude owner

Good location though.

never get me there again not even for a meal.

I used to stay at this dump previously. The last time I stayed there my room had no water pressure at all. The first night I had to "shower" under a trickle. The next day they moved me to another room which smelt musty, had no hot water and also hardly any water pressure. Fortunately the Dynasty Inn had a room available so I checked out early from the Haven and spent the rest of my stay at there. Did not have to pay the rip off surcharge for Xmas and New Years Eve.

Try asking the owner or his wife to fix these problems - they will basically shrug their shoulders and ignore you. It's like staying at Fawlty Towers.

Those who want to stay there in the future - you have been warned!