Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Here we go again, let´s make it harder for the farrang

I came across this info at another board today. It´s interesting how the Thai government always seems to want to make it more difficult for us farrang to live, work or stay longer periods of time in Thailand although they love the money we spent.

BANGKOK: -- From February 15, 2009 all Thai Immigration offices has been strictly instructed that foreigners have to use the Immigration office that has administrative jurisdiction over the area where they live.

All visa changes, extensions, re-entry permits and other immigration requests are to be handled by the immigration offices in the districts in which the foreigners reside. Immigration offices at international airports can handle such issues only in emergencies ('illness' is given as an example).

See the attached PDF file (below) for all the 63 Immigration offices in Thailand, and explains which Immigration office you should use from February 15.

For example, Kanchanaburi handle immigration duties for all of the province except for Sangkhlaburi District (which are handled, it says, by a separate Sangkhlaburi immigration office). Kanchanburi also handles immigration duties for Ratchaburi and Suphanburi provinces.

Another example: Nong Khai handles immigration for most of Nong Khai province (except for Lao-bordering districts outside Nong Khai District, to be handled by Beung Kan immigration), plus Udon Thani and Khon Kaen.

The big news is that Korat Immigration will only serve foreigners living in Korat province from Feb 15th. This is an order from the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok.

So, people from Khon Kaen will have to go to Nong Khai. Foreigners from example Lopburi, Nong Khai or Chaiyaphum will not be accepted in Korat, not even for a re-entry permit. More confusing is that the list says that foreigners in Korat shall submit their applications to Kap Choeng Immigration in Surin province from February 15, 2009.

Foreigners living in Phatum Thani Province, Nonthaburi Province, Chainat Province, Lopburi Province, Saraburi province, Singburi province, Ayutthaya Province and Angtong province can visit either Ayutthaya Immigration, Chonburi Immigration or Nakhon Pathom Immigration offices.

It's not clear if this affects the One-Stop Visa & Work Permit Center, as previously those eligible for One-Stop services could use them no matter where in the kingdom they resided. One-Stop isn't mentioned, though presumably it's under jurisidiction 1, Metropolitan Bangkok Immigration Inspection Wing.

The information provided above has been verified with the Immigration Bureau.

Whilliam :bigsmile:

its not the end of the world is it?? so they are asking or even telling you to go some were specific, so what , you could always be back in freezing cold ,pissing with rain europe?? were would you rather be?

Another example: Nong Khai handles immigration for most of Nong Khai province (except for Lao-bordering districts outside Nong Khai District, to be handled by Beung Kan immigration), plus Udon Thani and Khon Kaen.

So, people from Khon Kaen will have to go to Nong Khai.

Still a bit rich to expect people to travel to Nong Khai from Khonkaen, but then I suppose it gets them out of the house.

Are not immigrants expected to go to either Croyden or Liverpool when they need to do any thing about thier status whilst in the UK and I dont believe it is any different in other countries of the EU.Sauce for the goose.

Edited by sinbinjack
Still a bit rich to expect people to travel to Nong Khai from Khonkaen, but then I suppose it gets them out of the house.

I like getting out of the house at times :behead

But im confused :gulp

I have one year non img O multi visa

I thought I have to do a border run every 90 days ????

Can I now go to Nong Kai to get extension to my 90 days without a border run to Loa ????

Can I now go to Nong Kai to get extension to my 90 days without a border run to Loa ????

NO

you only have to go to Immigration in Nong Khai after your one-year is ready to expire

I can tell you from experience that certain Immigration offices are stricter than others & sometimes they have different ways of interpreting the same laws

when I was going to get a one-year I went to 3 different Immigration offices & got three different stories about the amount of money involved & other details. The basics were the same, but some of the details were different.

at that time I chose the easiest one, but that will no longer be an option

if you have an asshole Immigration dept. in your neighborhood, time to move

Are not immigrants expected to go to either Croyden or Liverpool when they need to do any thing about thier status whilst in the UK and I dont believe it is any different in other countries of the EU.Sauce for the goose.

Wrong-most of those countries do not depend on tourists/expats for 8% of their income either.Why make it more difficult to be here?

Wrong-most of those countries do not depend on tourists/expats for 8% of their income either.Why make it more difficult to be here?
These changes have no impact on tourists, who provide the 8% you mentioned. What the Expats, who have decided to live/retire in LOS , provide for the 'much dependent' Thais, is probably an unknown quantity on the national scale.

I don't think the aim is to make it more difficult for the farrang, more likely easier for the Thai. Probably hard to confirm the residence of a farang in Ubon, when he is at the Immigration office in Had Yai..

• 1 month later...
:moon :clap1 :hijack Jacko! I have to ask, living as I and many of my expat :hijack friends do, in Ubon, where the fuck is Had Yai? is that where we should be going ? Jesus. :hijack :clap1 :hijack
:moon :clap1 :hijack Jacko! I have to ask, living as I and many of my expat :hijack friends do, in Ubon, where the fuck is Had Yai? is that where we should be going ? Jesus. :hijack :clap1 :hijack
It's down in the south, it is quite a big city and even has an airport. Quite convenient for a visa run to Malaysia via Sadao. Perhaps my point has been lost in the 5 weeks since I posted. Edited by jacko

You only have look at how hard it is to get a visa for a Thai girl(or from any other country) to go to the UK for a holiday with her UK boyfriend to see how much harder we make it than do the Thais. I personaly think they do as well as they can be expected to, when you consider we are talking about people who are trying to circumvent their immigration rules.

The biggest problem that I have read about with immigration is that the rules are up to interpretation by the officer so people do not know what will happen when they apply for a visa or extension. The rule says something but the officer has his/her own ideas and the applicant is left dangling.

FatherMojo

The biggest problem that I have read about with immigration is that the rules are up to interpretation by the officer so people do not know what will happen when they apply for a visa or extension. The rule says something but the officer has his/her own ideas and the applicant is left dangling.

FatherMojo

Or, to put it another way:

The greatest strength of the immigration procedures is that nothing is chiseled into stone. The immigration officers have terrific leeway on how to handle any given case, and that lets you bargain, negotiate, get a little pity maybe, and end up with what you want instead of what some pointy-headed junior civil servant decided you would get whether you like it or not.

Some of us like Thailand. Others want it to be exactly like the countries they left, which I personally think is weird.

The greatest strength of the immigration procedures is that nothing is chiseled into stone. The immigration officers have terrific leeway on how to handle any given case, and that lets you bargain, negotiate, get a little pity maybe, and end up with what you want instead of what some pointy-headed junior civil servant decided you would get whether you like it or not.

In the immigration universe, "money talks and bullshit walks" especially if your paperwork is a bit dodgy.

Some of us like Thailand. Others want it to be exactly like the countries they left, which I personally think is weird.

That sounds interesting, but when the goal posts are not stable it causes too much trouble with people who have families.

I read where they asked one guy for pictures of his wedding, nothing wrong with that. Then the next cycle they asked for more pictures of his wedding

That sounds interesting, but when the goal posts are not stable it causes too much trouble with people who have families.

I read where they asked one guy for pictures of his wedding, nothing wrong with that. Then the next cycle they asked for more pictures of his wedding There was something missing there........ ! :banana A sample of the sinsot perhaps....?

Edited by jacko
In the immigration universe, "money talks and bullshit walks" especially if your paperwork is a bit dodgy.

A smart man realises his limitations Bid-D. One of yours is not knowing very much at all about Thailand. I don't have enough pity to cover the people who would be innocent enough to take your advice -- such people shouldn't be venturing out of their homes except for fearful trips to the grocery store anyhow, let alone overseas -- but you should be knowing enough not to be offering du... er unhelpful advice like this to those people.

If your little homily applied to posting in an Internet forum, you'd be broke from running through so many pairs of shoes and reduced to limping along on bloody feet, dragging your bag of bovine-processed grasses behind.

Translation.... Joe thinks BD is a bullshitter, but he wants to appear smarter than the others who post such comments frequently and less cryptically..

Edited by jacko