Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Cheap and good seafood anywhere?

There is a place on so bhuakow on the same side of the road as Siam Sawasdee hotel at the juction of the road going up to Villa Panalee, I think it is called Marine Toureg and they serve good fresh fish for a fraction of the cost of Walking Street restaraunts.

Alternatively you can buy a whole fish that would be reasonably fresh for 50-80 baht in the market at soi bhuakow.

Thai girls are not fans of expensive eateries and if you want to bring a girl to a good value for money fresh seafood restaraunt then look no further than the seafood restaraunt at marine plaza behind JP bar.

I need a 3G sim card to look at the map while i am travelling, i bet i will be lost within minutes. So Bhuakow is it at the North of Pattaya near Soi 2?

I need a 3G sim card to look at the map while i am travelling, i bet i will be lost within minutes. So Bhuakow is it at the North of Pattaya near Soi 2?

Pattaya Map

Soi Bhuakhaow runs from North to South between of 2nd road and 3rd road, starting at central pattaya road (pattaya klang) down to south pattaya road (pattaya tai)

Edited by StefanH

Soi 15, Walk past Baby Dolls and Mistys towards Walking Street. The street food stalls serve good seafood. Tomy Yum Kung at 120B isn't exactly inexpensive but I liked the taste. I have tried several dishes and have liked them...

One evening myself and few of us, about 7 people in all decided on a seafood dinner. We went to Tops at the corner of Second Rd and Central Rd and bought a selection of assorted seafood, fish, prawns, mussels, cockles and scampi. We also purchased some pork fillets. They cook it for you while you wait, either steamed or grilled. We also bought some crusty fresh white bread, some salad and then crossed the road to the small supermarket and bought a 2 litre bottle of Italian red wine.

We then made our way to our friends spacious room on Second Rd where we tucked in and ate till we were all full and the girls were 'im' as the Thais say. The whole lot cost us about 1500 baht including the wine and it was a wonderful meal at fraction of the cost in a fancy seafood eatery. It was about 7 years ago so it would be more expensive now especially in view of the exchange rate. It was one of the best meals I've ever had anywhere. Try it yourself.

I am beginning to think that there is no longer any such thing as cheap seafood in the tourist areas.....

It has come a long way since I had a large lobster, beers and other plates for $20 in Phukhet.(circa 1982). Even the little place I frequent on Sukhumvit, popular with the Thais heading home to Bangkok, has silly prices..... never used to see plates of food for 150-400 baht, per plate.

I once had bbq shrimp on the beach in Prachup Khiri Khan along with mussels and rice, and I am beginning to think that was the last cheap meal.

I know, I know, it would be a lot more at 'The Harbor' restaurant on the water in San Francisco, but we are talking Pattaya.

Wow, this is not cheap, but then again, its in walking street. The food looks fantastic though. Lobster Pot, here I come :)

f you're a newbie , go for it but after once , never will I go Lobster Pot again. Overpriced medicore food.

Forget about GPS. Best thing is to take a day off drinking in the middle of your vacation and walk the entire Soi7/8 to Big C then to Beach road then to Walking street then 2nd road to Soi Diana up Soi Baukow to Tuk.com. After a day (or 2) walking , you'll know the place like the back of your hand.

Forget about GPS. Best thing is to take a day off drinking in the middle of your vacation and walk the entire Soi7/8 to Big C then to Beach road then to Walking street then 2nd road to Soi Diana up Soi Baukow to Tuk.com. After a day (or 2) walking , you'll know the place like the back of your hand.

Pity, I will have only 2 days to explore and feast. Much appreciated for the info guys.

flying there for a dirty weekend on a cheap tiger flight eh? 55555 me too ; for loy krathong! :thumbup

No Tiger for me, Jetstar :)

Going for work at BKK but sneak down to pattaya for 2 days before joining some mates at the BKK nightlife.

• 3 weeks later...
This was not a cheap night out by Thai standards and we didn't care.

post-10158-1288865606.jpg

post-10158-1288865655.jpg

post-10158-1288865690.jpg

post-10158-1288865720.jpg

post-10158-1288865747.jpg

post-10158-1288865785.jpg

post-10158-1288865820.jpg

post-10158-1288865990.jpg

post-10158-1288865886.jpg

post-10158-1288865943.jpg

post-10158-1288866029.jpg

post-10158-1288866076.jpg

post-10158-1288866112.jpg

post-10158-1288866141.jpg

4 crabs 4 fish 12 prawns 8 rock lobsters 2 squid and 2 kg of Vegetables with 2 pots of rice.

With drinks the bill divide by 9 came to 1100 baht each

We had 1 fish 1 crab and a 1 kg of vegetables left over.

One day walking down Soi Bukow we did stop at at seafood place and the meals we had were around about 80 baht each

never made it back but will different return next trip. If you come out at the top of Soi Honey and head left towards central road about 500 meters open air.

Looking at those photos made me hungry. That definitely does not look cheap, but I think it's worth the price. Now I am craving for some prawns and lobsters.

Is this the one at the very far end of Jomtien Beach with the blue crab outside? If so I've heard it's very good.

Glyn.

I think thats the one, however another tip keep going about 100 yards right to the end, there is a fish place with great tables at the beach wall.

A few weeks ago me and Hi-So went there had, Raw prawns and chilli, crab in yellow curry, green veggie, rice and fish soup with a heater , bottle of large Heinekan and a water 610 baht, great location excellent food for peanuts.

I think thats the one, however another tip keep going about 100 yards right to the end, there is a fish place with great tables at the beach wall.

A few weeks ago me and Hi-So went there had, Raw prawns and chilli, crab in yellow curry, green veggie, rice and fish soup with a heater , bottle of large Heinekan and a water 610 baht, great location excellent food for peanuts.

The one tthat Glyn mentions in the previous post is called Bpoo Bpen (live crab) and they have been doing some renovations over the last few months.

The variety has increased and the quality is always good. On rare occasions the service can be a bit hit and miss when there is a Korean or Chinese tour group in there,

I'm that impressed with the food that we're looking at doing dinner cruises down there next year.

Glyn, when you're back next time we'll take the girls (whoever they are at the time) down for a good feed one day.

Cheers :D: Admiral Ken

PS if you want to be mischievious tell the group operator that you'll give the group a copy of the REAL menu prices if they dont give you a discount or a cut. Watch them "have kittens" while they figure out if you're serious LOL (Just dont do this if the tour operator is 6'6 and 300lbs). The prices they charge these tour groups is extortionate in the least.

• 2 months later...
Guest Fatboyfat
f you're a newbie , go for it but after once , never will I go Lobster Pot again. Overpriced medicore food.

Spot on there :chogdee The place has been one of the poorest value for money (ie vastly overpriced) for a good 20 years now. Although still a taj on the expensive side, Nang Nual and even better the seafood place a bit further on, on the beach side, (if it is still there) past the FLB are much better Walking Street eateries.

Any recommends for a nice place to go for decent seafood? I don't want to spend a fortune (who does?), cheap and cheerful with bloody good food is what I'm after.

i wish you would take that ridiculous degrading photo of a thai woman off your avatar!

i think jomtien beach would suit both your budget and your IQ! :whistling:

The one tthat Glyn mentions in the previous post is called Bpoo Bpen (live crab) and they have been doing some renovations over the last few months.

The variety has increased and the quality is always good. On rare occasions the service can be a bit hit and miss when there is a Korean or Chinese tour group in there,

I'm that impressed with the food that we're looking at doing dinner cruises down there next year.

Glyn, when you're back next time we'll take the girls (whoever they are at the time) down for a good feed one day.

Cheers :thumbup: Admiral Ken

PS if you want to be mischievious tell the group operator that you'll give the group a copy of the REAL menu prices if they dont give you a discount or a cut. Watch them "have kittens" while they figure out if you're serious LOL (Just dont do this if the tour operator is 6'6 and 300lbs). The prices they charge these tour groups is extortionate in the least.

I did actually make it down there and agree the quality is very good and the price very reasonable. If you want to twist my arm and take me and a couple of beauties down there next month I won't put up too much of a fight.

Glyn.

• 2 months later...
Is this the one at the very far end of Jomtien Beach with the blue crab outside? If so I've heard it's very good.

Glyn.

I think he means the Suttangrak - it is a huge 600+ seat open air restaurant north of the Blue Crab. Kevin Syson plays guitar there four nights/week (and Friday nights at Lolita's) along with a good house band. There are pools of fresh fish and seafood from which you choose your own dinner. It is not the cheapest in town but I have never found better. It beats the Blue Crab hands down for both price and quality.

• 4 weeks later...

<!--quoteo(post=844710:date=Nov 26 2010, 01:12 PM:name=lemon face)-->

QUOTE (lemon face @ Nov 26 2010, 01:12 PM)
<!--quotec-->PS if you want to be mischievious tell the group operator that you'll give the group a copy of the REAL menu prices if they dont give you a discount or a cut. Watch them "have kittens" while they figure out if you're serious LOL (Just dont do this if the tour operator is 6'6 and 300lbs). The prices they charge these tour groups is extortionate in the least.

The higher price the resturant charges the tour group , the more commission the operator/guide gets!