Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

`A Woman of Bangkok` by Jack Reynolds

• 1 month later...

My very amateur and clumsy review of this book;

A well written very entertaining and for me at the same time gripping and educational (re historic Thailand) book about one mans innocence been “lost” in the drinking clubs dance halls and brothels of 1950’s Thailand.

After a journey that starts with his goodbyes at his family home, a rectory in the leafy English countryside, via his landlady’s house in north London. A plane journey that will have those you that begrudge a couple of hours stopover in a modern airport thanking your lucky stars.

The rest is set in Bangkok and some (in those days) far flung places in Thailand. The description of the ex-pat lifestyle and the “scene” of the time bears out the old Thai phrase “same same but different” Including police corruption, Samlor (Baht Bus) mafia etc.

It basically is a one sided love story with our “hero” been milked dry by a Thai “Dancing Girl” (sound familiar) It kept me entertained and turning pages (on the Kindle) with the author filling in little bits of back story as to why “Wretch” is the way he is to this girl “The White Leopard” and why she is who she has become.

The only slight downside for me was towards the end I thought it was going to end in a shocking brutal climax and then it just sort of went to a semi happy ending.

Reading the “About the author” section at the end it is clear there are parallels with his own life in England and the far east and his extensive knowledge of the area is evident throughout the book.

All in all a bloody good read that kept me engrossed and entertained me and in the end that’s about all I expect from a novel.

Well recommended for jaded ex-pats wide eyed newbie’s and all in-between. :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

• Upvote 2
  • 9 months later...