Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I was over on the darkside yesterday to check out some of the bars. My first stop, after hitting an ATM which comes into play later, was the Pussy Cat Bar on Soi Nurnplubwan. The last time I was there was several years ago and then it was an open air setup with some nice ladies and a few ladyboys who left you alone. Now it has been changed to a closed bar/restaurant. I stayed for 5 beers and ladydrinks with the bin coming to 520 baht. I opened my wallet and grabbed one of the 1000 baht bills from the ATM and handed it to the lady. She took it and said 20 more. Without thinking why, I handed over another 20 baht and waited for the change. The lady came back and I tipped her one of my 2 100's. After several minutes, she said shewanted to go eat. I asked for my change and was told I only gave her 520 baht.

Now there is always the possibility that I could have been mistaken BUT I almost always check the bills I hand for payment (since I have messed up 20's and 1000's late at night in da rk bars before). However, the stop at the ATM guaranteed I had nothing but 1000’s (and the 2 100’s and 6 20’s before the stop). There were no 500’s in my wallet.

I know the advice given here…state the bill value as you hand it over and have them repeat it. I guess the asking for 20 more should have clued me in but it did not. Live, Learn and warn others.

Never heard a girl asking '20 more' when paying a 520 baht bar tab with a 1,000 baht note.

Either you gave a 500 baht note or the girl genuinly thought you handed over a 500 baht note.

You are right about mentioning the amount of money when handing over the money.

I always do that when paying with a 1,000 baht note when my bin is below 500.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear of this, I thought these scams were on the decline.

I separate the 500s from the 1000s in my wallet, ready for those darker places.

I believe you were scammed, some of these stupid gals think we are even more stupid. :D

I live very close to the Pussy Cat Bar, and have taken girls home to my house.

Never had any problems there .........

However when handing over a 500 Baht Note, or a 1000 Note, I ALWAYS say the amount out loud in Thai that others can hear, as I do when I am out shopping too !

Edited by derycolin