Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Backup Taxi Question

I am going to be asking for one of the local taxi services to pick me up at around 2 a.m.

Just in case the taxi does not show up, what are my options?

How can I get hold of transport to Suvarnabhumi at that hour at short notice?

Thanks...

Hire a baht bus?

I had a problem getting a bus at noon one day. The hotel eventually put me in a hotel car that took me 1/2 way to the airport where I was swapped over to another unmarked car that took me the rest of the way.

I arranged a car from one of the taxi stands outside of Royal Garden Plaza on second road. He was to pick me up at ~5 am so I agreed to pay 1100 (more than my regular price) and gave him 200 baht as a deposit. I would normally hire a cab from one of the booths but I had left it too late and they were all closed. Well, he didn't show and his phone didn't work so I walked down soi Diana to second road and found a moto taxi booth and they got me a cab. I gave the moto guy a hundred and the taxi guy gave him a hundred as well as a finders fee. The price of the taxi was 800 plus tolls so 860.

Thankfully, it's never happened to me, but I have seen scenes like this play out several times in the lobbies of hotels and condo buildings, In every case, the hotel or condo staff was able to arrange a replacement taxi in short order. I always give myself an extra 30 minutes when setting the time for taxi pickup to allow for a replacement if the one I order is a no-show.

I've also heard it's easy to get a Bangkok-bound taxi between 1.30 a.m. and 3.00 a.m. because of the flurry of flights from Tokyo and other points that have landed at Swampy a few hours earlier and transported passengers to Pattaya. So if you're stuck and the staff can't help you where you're staying, just make your way to the nearest hotel. The desk staff or concierge should be able to assist you.

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 1

Thankfully, it's never happened to me, but I have seen scenes like this play out several times in the lobbies of hotels and condo buildings, In every case, the hotel or condo staff was able to arrange a replacement taxi in short order. I always give myself an extra 30 minutes when setting the time for taxi pickup to allow for a replacement if the one I order is a no-show.

I've also heard it's easy to get a Bangkok-bound taxi between 1.30 a.m. and 3.00 a.m. because of the flurry of flights from Tokyo and other points that have landed at Swampy a few hours earlier and transported passengers to Pattaya. So if you're stuck and the staff can't help you where you're staying, just make your way to the nearest hotel. The desk staff or concierge should be able to assist you.

Evil

Yep. Right on the money. The front desk of every hotel in town probably has a list of taxi drivers they can call at a moment's notice,

JS - when you say collect telephone numbers of taxi services, you mean companies like Mr T? These will answer the phone at 0230?

Evil -There is no staff or front desk here, this is a small private building. But there is a hotel a few blocks from here. I will walk down and try to find out if they will be able to summon a taxi at that time.

And this flurry of taxis - where would I find them? Do they park at one place, or few places. Just waiting for a taxi on Second Road does not appear to be very productive.

Thanks.

JS - when you say collect telephone numbers of taxi services, you mean companies like Mr T? These will answer the phone at 0230?

Evil -There is no staff or front desk here, this is a small private building. But there is a hotel a few blocks from here. I will walk down and try to find out if they will be able to summon a taxi at that time.

And this flurry of taxis - where would I find them? Do they park at one place, or few places. Just waiting for a taxi on Second Road does not appear to be very productive.

Thanks.

Some hang out at the underpass Thrappaya rd / 3rd road if you were coming from the pier

Thanks.

Well, I guess you could always ask them in advance if they'll answer at 0230. My guess is that there'll always be someone around wanting to make some easy money, even at 0230. I can't say that I've ever tried it at that time of night, but I have had a similar situation at 4AM.

Thanks.

I believe Mr T as well as other taxi booking agents do have numbers that answer 24/07. I deal with Mr Dream and know he does (the Thai Mr Dream, not the farang guy who called himself Mr Dream a few years ago).

I wasn't so much suggesting that you flag down a Bangkok cab on the street, but indicating that there are a fair number in Pattaya early in the morning. Some of the Bangkok cab drivers will call the bookers looking for a load back to Swampy.

But the best idea is make sure that when you book the cab, there's a number you can call at. 230 a.m., whether it's to the booker or the driver himself.

Evil

You will find that taxi booths, hotels, bars etc would normally get a commission for booking a taxi so you shouldn't have a problem getting one.Dont use the resident licensed taxi,s in Pattaya as they won't use the meter.

If its that much of a concern to you why not go to Bangkok a day earlier and get a hotel for the night near the airport

Edited by oddball
  • 3 weeks later...

If its that much of a concern to you why not go to Bangkok a day earlier and get a hotel for the night near the airport

I often think getting out of Bangkok is as difficult as getting to the airport from Pattaya! But for sure there are more taxis around.

And to stay near the airport is like wasting a night of your holiday.

As to the OP,I used to splurge on a taxi organised by the hotel, rather than risk a more casual or cheaper arrangement..... they fortunately never let me down.