Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Topping up your 1 2 Call sim

I top-up my 49 baht 1-2 Call sim inside any 7/11. My last visit (and top-up) was sometime Jan 2014 and my sim will still work on my next visit in May.

Fine, care to tell us what the validity date is on that?

If it works for you great.

As previously stated 1-2-Call have been changing their validity rules.

I used to get 1 year I think it was in 1990s, and that suited me fine until I moved here and realised my long-distance intra network calls were 8 baht/min.

I now pay 1 b/min and manage my validity as per above posts.

Edited by jacko

I top-up my 49 baht 1-2 Call sim inside any 7/11. My last visit (and top-up) was sometime Jan 2014 and my sim will still work on my next visit in May.

The entire purpose of my topic was to advise those that either were a long time between trips or had a sim that required more regular up dates. If this does not apply to you then this is great but there are a lot that I believe would benefit from the advice I offered.

• Upvote 1

Rainsberger

PM me your phone number, I'll put 12 Baht on it for you to make sure you have it past May

Not able to check it but I will be around a machine in the next week or so

My father comes to visit me once a year. he has never done anything other than top up as needed when he is here and his number is always good. Credits should be good for 1 year

My father comes to visit me once a year. he has never done anything other than top up as needed when he is here and his number is always good. Credits should be good for 1 year

You will notice that the topic concerned 1 2 Call and as you can read this is not the case.

You will notice that the topic concerned 1 2 Call and as you can read this is not the case.

Yes, it depends on the Network/package and lots of other factors....

I sacrificed my long validity to get cheaper calls...doesn't matter as I live in Thailand now.

I have to play different tricks with my UK O2 number... they will cancel it and help themselves to any credit I have if I do not make a chargeable call for six months.

So every April I need to make a 10 second call on it from Thailand on roaming and am amused by how much they charge me for it. I also need to get a new data card next time I am there for my 3G dongle.

Edited by jacko

Some of the SIM, have a valid date of 1-3 months and must be recharged

Mine is one of those, I got it in 2007 (1-2 Call)

I just did 12 Baht x 12 to get it till next April (good advice from a previous post and it does work)

So if I got the sis in law to extend once a month with the minimum needed that would extend my sim by a full month?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice in this topic. I have AIS and with each top up get an additional month validity, I was trying to top up 10 baht inside the 7-11 but was told minimum was 50 baht, so I am glad I found this thread.

Each top up has a 2 baht service charge (at least at the 7-11 on beach road in front of View Talay 6) so cost 12 baht for 10 baht credit. I topped up over several days to get up to one year validity. I did notice (too late) that I can only extend up to 1 year, I added another 10 baht after getting to the one year mark, but it did not extend any more time. Any way thanks to this thread I now have a useful purpose for all those 1 and 2 baht coins I collect on my trips.

• Upvote 2

One other alternative if you have a Thai bank account, Kasikorn for example, which allows you to top up on line is to schedule a top up in the future while you are in Thailand. Yes, I know there are ways to do the top up on line in real time from outside Thailand, but one of them getting a OTP (one time password) requires getting service on your Thai sim in the U.S. That may or may not happen.

Edited by nkped

One other thing that I didn't realise when I wrote this was that I can in fact top up any phone from the machine in AIS. All this 'learning' came about when a mate sent me his sim card and asked me to top it up when I came to LOS as his was due to expire before his next trip. I duly did this with all the hassles involved (using the spare phone and mail to and fro the guy) and it was only when I was introduced to the machine that I realised that I could put in my ten baht and select any number to add the credit to. Just to save people getting pissed off at me I can see me having a couple of sessions each time I am in Pattaya as I get to Central Plaza a few times each week even if its just for a ice cream at Mc Donalds.

One other alternative if you have a Thai bank account, Kasikorn for example, which allows you to top up on line is to schedule a top up in the future while you are in Thailand. Yes, I know there are ways to do the top up on line in real time from outside Thailand, but one of them getting a OTP (one time password) requires getting service on your Thai sim in the U.S. That may or may not happen.

For Bangkok Bank the OTP is only required to set up a new transfer (eg to AIS on your number).... so just do that while in Thailand and subsequent payments to the Thai number can be made using the internet any-time any-place anywhere..

I was going to check what the minimum payment available was but the Bangkok Bank Logon doesn't seem to be working ATM..... :banghead

Later Edit. Scheduled maintenance!

OTP only required to add a new Payee.

Minimum payment 50 baht and 30 days added to validity.

Edited by jacko