Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

English language course for Thais

I enrolled my TGF of 10 years for an English language course at the Chaimongkrol school (corner 2nd Road Pattaya Thai last January.

The language course was organised by the Pattaya City hall on Pattaya Nua. We had to attend there early last January to enrol, as there were only 60 vacancies. She sat for an interview and had to produce her Tabien Baan (house book) and Thai ID card. Only applicants within the Pattaya area were accepted.

She has now attended school for 3 weekends (Saturdays 9AM to noon and Sundays 9AM to noon) and her progress so far has been amazing. Her commitment on how to improve her English skills is a joy to watch. She spends a lot of time doing homework, always asking me to assist when needed.

Her teacher is a very competent English guy. She was supplied with a quite a good English instruction book on basic grammar and other English teaching material, like advanced vocabulary and instructions on how to communicate with other people. The course was not designed for people with no basic or only reasonable English skills. My TGF was lucky as her Chinese immigrant father sent her to a good school in Bangkok, where she was taught English writing by a Thai teacher. Unfortunately that Thai teacher never taught her to speak English to an acceptable standard. It takes a native English to teach those skills.
The English language course will end late in June. I want her to finish that English course. It will affect our ability to communicate to each other at a much higher level. Unfortunately, her re-entry visa to Australia expires in May. I will work around that and probably apply for a permanent partner visa for her for Australia later this year.

There will be another language course for Thais next year, if anyone interested to improve the language skills of their partner. BTW, the course is free. There are also language course in Chinese and Russian.

• Upvote 3

A friend of mine who taught ESL recommended his students to use English language TV programs for children. They speak correct basic vocabulary English. Good luck with the visa.

• Upvote 1

A friend of mine who taught ESL recommended his students to use English language TV programs for children. They speak correct basic vocabulary English. Good luck with the visa.

Thanks for your supporting words about getting a permanent partner visa for the TGF. Australian Immigration rules have to be the toughest in the world. She has been there with me 4 times on tourist visas , but getting a permanent partner visa is a lot more difficult with a waiting time of at least 12 month.

Thanks for your supporting words about getting a permanent partner visa for the TGF. Australian Immigration rules have to be the toughest in the world. She has been there with me 4 times on tourist visas , but getting a permanent partner visa is a lot more difficult with a waiting time of at least 12 month.

Isn't it quite expensive too?

Isn't it quite expensive too?

Yes it is. The non-refundable application fee for a partner visa went up by 50% last January and is now close to the $A 7000 mark.

To add to my previous post, Mrs Gonzo won't leave her English text books alone and at times ask me all day long to assist. I don't really mind that as she is making good progress and according to her teacher from England on of her best pupils. at the Muang Pattaya School.By the way, from the 60 pupils starting the class there were only 26 pupils left last weekend. When she gets her certificate after successfully completing the course it might assist her with the partner visa for Australia. I will never return to live there again without her. After more than 10 years together we still get along like a house on fire.

AAAA P Engish school.JPG

P and Olive.JPG

• Upvote 1