Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Dinner, Breakfast Buffets at Centara Azure on Soi 15

Lovely report and photos, Evil.

As I've gotten older -- wow, I hate typing those words -- I've become less concered about food quantity and more concerned about food quality. Accordingly, buffets for the sake of being a buffet no longer interest me. I'd rather have a good, solid meal in a single portion (simple or fancy) and have it appropriately priced than try and gorge the most calories per baht that I can just because.

Too bad too. This place, in terms of decor, looks really nice.

• Upvote 2

Lovely report and photos, Evil.

As I've gotten older -- wow, I hate typing those words -- I've become less concered about food quantity and more concerned about food quality. Accordingly, buffets for the sake of being a buffet no longer interest me. I'd rather have a good, solid meal in a single portion (simple or fancy) and have it appropriately priced than try and gorge the most calories per baht that I can just because.

Too bad too. This place, in terms of decor, looks really nice.

To quote Evil " There was nothing wrong with the food except the lack of variety." I'd be willing to give them a try at least once. The decor is interesting and over the top.

• Downvote 2

So when are you going to try it BIGDUSA?

As soon as my VA kidney transplant is completed. I'm on the transplant list.

I had breakfast there this morning. Review and pics coming up, but short version is, "Don't bother, much better elsewhere."

post-6485-0-87166100-1483792226.jpg

Late for this week, but Centara Azure has a Saturday Grill Buffet (399 baht), also a lunch buffet Saturday-Sunday for 299 baht.

Fror what I've seen and tasted so far, I wouldn't be too optimistic about the grill or lunch buffets.

Evil

devil.gif

post-6485-0-61854800-1483832598.jpg

Saturday morning, I had the breakfast buffet at the Atlantis in the Centara Azure. Bottom line: You can have as much mediocre-to-poor food as you want for 199 baht. But the surroundings are striking and comfortable. There's better available nearby at a comparable price, namely the buffet at Casa Pascal, and numerous restaurants that offer breakfast specials at 100 to 200 baht.

post-6485-0-17243800-1483832602.jpg

I got there at 9.00 a.m. (the buffet runs from 6.30 a.m. to 10.30 a.m.) and there were about 20 customers, or roughly 20% full. Most of the other customers seemed to be Russian families and Asian tourists.

post-6485-0-67115300-1483832765.jpg

The set-up was similar to the dinner buffet: seven chafing platters for warm dishes and a separate table for fruit, cold cuts and salad.

post-6485-0-57765700-1483832605.jpg

In addition, there were "stations" for eggs and Asian soup. The eggs were cooked to order and ingredients were added to the soup at the customer's request.

post-6485-0-37703000-1483832770.jpg

Breakfast juices/beverages were also on offer, as were cold cereals, yogurt, bread and pastries.

post-6485-0-86988800-1483832608.jpg

post-6485-0-58061200-1483832773.jpg

Of the seven warm dishes, four related to Western breakfast: streaky bacon, ham, sauteed potatoes and those horrible little cocktail sausages. But some people like them I saw a Russian teenager load a dozen (yes, I counted them) onto his plate, along with three fried eggs, an omelet and a heaping pile of potatoes. The other warm dishes were rice and Asian cooked vegetables.

Small, silver-dollar pancakes were also on offer. I tried one; it was thick, heavy and not cooked all the way through. Yuck! But at least maple syrup was available. That's often not the case.

Anyway, this is the plate of food I got:

post-6485-0-37307100-1483832595.jpg

As said, better breakfast plates can be had for 100 baht. Thing is, I don't want baked beans, stewed tomatoes or black pudding for breakfast, so my options are limited. That's the big advantage of a buffet- you can fill up on the things you like and skip the ones you don't. The streaky bacon was low quality- not much flavor other than salt- and not crispy at all. It seemed to have been fried in a clump rather than in individual strips. I didn't try the ham; it was of the processed kind and in slices so thin they looked micro-planed. Again, yuck! But the bread was very fresh and tasty.

Also note: there was no cheese of any sort and no beans, black pudding, mushrooms or stewed tomatoes.

I guess I got value-for-money by having a couple of salami sandwiches and a plate of fresh fruit, but overall, the buffet at Atlantis is eminently skippable. Not good, not too bad (although some low points, the bacon, ham and pancakes), mediocre in sum total.

The sting ray in the aquarium tank fascinates me. It was swimming much closer to the surface than it had been the night I had the dinner buffet.

Evil

devil.gif

post-6485-0-26769900-1483832786.jpg

post-6485-0-99505100-1483832779.jpg

post-6485-0-58555400-1483832782.jpg

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 3