Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Good morning all.

I have the use of a house (on the darkside), which I can use for my twice yearly visits.

I "hope" to retire in 2 to 3 years. I was going to wait, until retirement time. before I got internet into the house.

Ive been thinking recently though, that I may get it next trip (September/October time this year), rather that wait a couple of years.

My reason being, I dont go out every night drinking now (getting older etc!).If I stay at home, I usually watch a D.V.D. in the house (I have the "original"! 20 inch T.V I bought 15 odd years ago!). Im now thinking, its best to just get a new T.V. and to get internet....that way, I can just bring lots of stuff to watch on T.V. (or probably get some sort of media box etc to use in Pattaya)..............Thereby when I dont go out drinking.......I will have internet, and can watch tv etc.......

Which brings me to my question! I "assume".........I will have to pay for every month for the internet? (I mean...I couldnt get say 3 months worth in January......then another 3 months worth in say September!?)........Im assuming its just paid every month?

I also "assume"! its about 700-1000 baht per month? Which is the best/easiest etc! provider to use? Is it like in falang land....where it could take a few weeks to get it all set up.......or far easier as some other things appear to be in Thailand?

I asked a Norwegian guy who lives opposite me (in Pattaya that is!) how much he pays etc for his internet............he didnt know...as his wife paid it, and he "thinks" he pays for internet and a tv cable package each month?

Any info gratefully received....

I appreciate. that at the moment im in Thiailand twice a year.....for a total of maybe 8 weeks...............but as I say...I cant go out drinking every night now! So internet would be worthwhile for me, as it can get a touch boring keep watching D.V.D.s most nights!

1- Most frequent packages are now 590 baht for VDSL or fibre. About 630 baht/month with tax.

2- Never did it myself, but I heard you can "suspend" your Internet for the time you are not in the country. It may depends of the Internet company? and probably a minimum interruption duration (3 months ?). Best to do is to call them or to go ask in one of their offices. You could also ask to other farang around you who may ne in the same case.

• Upvote 1

Internet providers are asking foreigners to pay 12 months in advance for service. Easy way around that, if you have a TGF, get her to sign the service contract then you can pay month to month. If you end service before the contract is up you'll be on the hook for the cost of the router, and possibly the remaining months of the service contract.

Since you're only here for a relatively short period of time each year, suggest looking into 4G data plans. I have one with AIS that costs 99B/week for 2GB/week. Speed is great too. 20ms ping, 30 Mbps/DL, 26 Mbps/UL.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Upvote 1

True Visions (satellite, not cable strictly speaking) I'm getting two flavors of TV access (it's complicated) with their platinum package and internet for 2,677 a month. Knock it down to one TV stream and that would lower the bill at least 535 baht a month. For browsing, the internet is fine. For streaming radio (not video), it drops off frequently and I switch the phone to 4g rather than wifi.

• Upvote 1

Internet packages in Thailand don't cost too much, and smart TVs keep getting cheaper and cheaper. In any event, even if you don't have a smart TV, there are boxes like the Apple TV through which you can access Netflix and other movie sites, YouTube, etc. So, one way or another watching movies should be simple. Even the Blu Ray players now have the capability of loading apps. Streaming music should also be simple.

I'm actually going to move back to Thailand in a few months, and when I do, Ill be all set with just a new TV, an internet connection, and some way to stream music. I've got some excellent smaller speakers I'll ship over, so all I have to buy for my audio system would be some sort of AVR that includes Bluetooth and/pr Airplay.

• Upvote 1

I'm using BBB for my wireless wi-fi for the house and our cell phones for 630 baht a month, and Sophon for t.v. for 360 baht a month, they connected us within 2 days for both, only issue I have ever had is, they don't cover all area's of Pattaya, you need to ask whoever you get if they service the area first. Look at the other houses in your neighborhood, they all like to put stickers on the gates/fence's, of the house's they are servicing, for advertisement purpose's. good luck!

• Upvote 1

Have a look at AIS also, they are advertising fibre optic broadband for the house up here in Nakhon Phanom, if they provide it up here I would presume it’s also available in an built up area like Pattaya.

They have packages similar to True Visions i.e broadband,TV channels and a SIM card for a fixed price. I have the True Visions package which consists of internet at 100mb download, 95 TV channels and a SIM card that does 100 free minutes to any number, with 500mb internet.

AIS packages have a lot of HBO stuff on them looking at their flyers. My True Vision channels are mainly Thai, but keeps the wife happy enough.

We had to sign a contract for a year, but pay it monthly. Cost is 1170 baht a month.

Regards.

• Upvote 1

It's a good idea to ask your prospective neighbours which internet Company they use and are they happy with the service. Different areas may vary. Then take a trip to your chosen provider's office and ask about packages to suit your circumstances.

• Upvote 1