Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Credit card fraud, again

Deja vu all over again ???, I just got off the phone with the same cc company that got ripped last august in Thailand for 12K. They cancelled the account and issused me a new card. I used the card in late september at the Flipper Lodge and the Majestic Suites in BKK. The card was used in England at a sporting goods store for $1700USD. I don't have to pay but what a hassle. It goes to show ya, even when your carefull you still can be ripped off. ??? ??? ???  11 days ;D ;D ;D

Same thing happened to me. My Mastercard has been used in England by someone who spent a few thousand pounds sterling. I live in Australia!!

The coincidence with you is that I stayed at the Flipper Lodge too. I was there from Oct 5-11 2002. Great hotel and would have liked to stay again for my next trip in December but they were fully booked.

My bank informed me that the card was swiped over in England, not used in an internet transaction or phone transaction! So someone made a copy. I was told by my bank that it is quite easy to do if they have a dodgy machine they swipe into first to record the info, then a legit swipe into the real machine. It's done so fast that you never notice.

I've had to go to the bank and fill out a 'Dispute Form' for transactions that occured over in England and I am currently waiting for my new card.

One thing is for sure, I will not be using CC's in Thailand anymore!

I used my Halifax Platinum card in C.D. wharehouse and Bookazine in The Royal Garden Shopping Mall Pattaya in October and three weeks after i arrived home(before my statement arrived)i had a telephone call from the fraud department of the Halifax,saying that they'd blocked my card due to their being some unusual transactions made.One was for £1500 worth of household appliances,£500 billed to a company called St George and numerous smaller transactions ranging from £80-£50 downwards.These transactions were made between Nov3 and Nov8 in Australia!! I flew back to the U.K.on October 14th!I never lost my card  so i assume i have been a victim of the so called 'skimming' scam.My card has now been cancelled and i am going to be issued with a new one,but it still mystifies me how this fraud has happened,in both stores i watched the cashier swipe my card once for each transaction.Thankfully i am not liable,but it's a big inconvienience.I've spent up to 3 times a year in the mentioned shops on other credit cards and never had a problem.It goes to show no matter how careful you are the fraudsters out there are at work.

I stayed 5 times at Majestic this year and have used my credit card all times without a problem so I dont think that hotel is a problem.

As for the machine you use to "skim" the cards its so small you can palm it and if you have a talent for sleight of hand you can do it open without anyone noticing.

Well back last July I did buy some books and languag tapes at Bookazine on my credit card and also at the electrical shop a few doors down from Bookazine, and never had any problems myself.  Though I must agree it is better to always use cash in LOS, gets you better discounts too so more bargaining power for you.

Carl,

I called the Flipper Lodge and they have available rooms from 1 Dec thru 11 Dec. If I stay there, I will use cash. ;D ;D ;D

BigDUSA,

I would have stayed at the Flipper again for my next trip [Dec 20 - Dec 28] but they are full for that period. I don't hold anything against the Flipper Lodge, they can't be held responsible for the dishonest action of one of their staff - that is IF it was one of the staff there. When I paid the hotel bill, I was standing right at the counter, so if it was then, they were damn fast. During my stay there, I also left my wallet in the safebox a few times and just took cash, so it could have happened then??

I have no proof that it occured there, it could have been Australia. Who knows?? I have made that assumption only because that was the ONLY place I used the card anywhere in Thailand.

I have booked the Areca Lodge now but I don't think I'll be using my Mastercard anywhere, I'll just bring it along in case of emergencies.

As I stated before, this kind of thing happens all over the world, so I hold nothing against Thailand or the Flipper. I have received my new card now and the Fraud dept said that it would take about 4 - 5 weeks to sort out the charges, but because all the transactions occured in England when I was obviously in Australia, then the charges can easily be identified and will be eventually erased.

In the meantime they have increased my limit to a ridiculously high level. I would never use my CC to that extent, then again, do you reckon it could be a ploy by the banks to give you a brand new CC with lots of spending power just before Christmas??

Carl

• 3 weeks later...

I used my CC in Thailand and as soon as I got home, I called the company and had them close my account. I would have liked to see the look on the bastards face when they tried to use my card and it was declined. ;D ;D ;D

• 3 weeks later...

OK let's see......

I got a new Barclaycard at the start of September...

Used 4 times by myself..............

1..British Airways

2..Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club

3..Flipper House

4..Flipper house

Cloned and used in Oz over a 5 day period.....

MMMMM a pattern starting I think ...!!!!!

Keep the Faith.....

Shaun.....

I used my cc at the Flipper Lodge and as soon as I got home. I called and canceled the account. I would have loved to see the look on the bastards face when he tried to use my card and it was declined. ;D ;D ;D 19 days

• 4 months later...

I was in Pattaya for x-mas and last week my cc company called saying that charges were being made from Australia in the last several weeks.  They canceled my card and issued me another card.  This is the first time this happen to me in the last 3 times I've been to Pattaya over a span of 2 years.  It was a wake up call!  I used it at the CD wharehouse, a gem shop on walking st. and at the hotel.  This time if I use my credit card, I will cancel it once I arrive home and get a new card.  I too would like to see their expression on their face!!

I've used my credit card a handful of times in LOS without any problems but think I'll be checking my visa account on the internet ,uch more frequently after i come back (maybe daily?) as a precaution. I can then quickly cancel the card if I spot any transactions I didn't make.

Alan

Just got a letter from LloydS TSB, telling me that in future my card will have a PIN to use with each purchase, alongside signature. Apparently this has been in use in France for 10 years and cut fraud by 80%

You have to ask why it has taken 10 years to copy such a good idea.

My local shopping centre has a thumprint scheme, but I have only been asked by one shop (Argos) to participate, or did it go to a central computer ?  ;)  

• 1 month later...

My job requires me to travel a lot and not wanting to carry cash, I always use my card. I spoke to a friend who is an executive at a credit card company and he gave me some good advise. Take a credit card with a small credit of $1000. Use it only to pay for stuff like Hotel, restraunts and for small shopping like groceries.

Have all your travel plans made well in advance so that you dont have to buy additional tickets while you are traveling.

Ive traveled to LOS 3 times now and am yet to come across a CC problem. ( or maybe somebody tried and was denied credit due to the lowbalance!!! ;D )

Ian

Guys,

dont be surprised if it wasnt a Thai who did this. there are many unscrupulous "Farangs" who are good at this, who live in Thailand all the time, and do that to survive.

The best one that happened to me was when my Bank called and told me they had stopped my card for overspending. I pleaded not guilty to them and  asked for a statemnt showing transactions.

When it arrived I fell apart laughing and rang them back.

The transaction had taken place at 20.23 Hrs on the day that I had caught a plane from Don Muang at 18.20hrs. I could easily prove I was on the plane when the dirty deed was done. They creidted me with the money and issued me with a new card.

Every time I use any of my cards in Thailand my bank phones to ask "was that you?".   Pain in the arse but bloody good security.

Only other place that they check like that (of those I visit) is when I charge at Dubai Duty Free.

Hi there,

Lots of farangs fund their holiday to LOS that way. What they do is when one of them is going away they give that guy their credit card and he buys expensive liquid goods on it.

When he gets back he sells the Rolex watch or whatever they have bought and split the profit 30/70....

The guys whose card it is, phones up the cc company says that he has was in england, can prove it and the $$$ is always refunded....

The skimming machine is very small now, it can be clipped on a belt and the teller runs it through in 2 seconds....

I personally never ever use my card in asian business's in the UK.

STH

As long as you have a good relationship with your bank it is not a problem. If   charges are placed on your account and you did not do them they will remove and it will not cost you anything. Banks can charge you for the first $50 dollars of fraud my bank even waves that 100% protection.

• 4 weeks later...

I take a credit card to thailand but only for emergencies and have never had cause to use it in 15 years of visits. I would never use a credit card in a third world country except as a last resort and even in Europe i will only use plastic in large chains. Having run a buiness where i've had a credit card terminal i know just how easy it would be to commit fraud.

Neil