Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Stuff That Makes Life In Thailand Easier/Resolves A Problem

5 hours ago, jacko said:

Had some quite violent ones near me with  a few close lightening hits .... they surprised me slightly and I was lazy .... I now have 2 defective HDMI ports, one on my  laptop, and the one on the other end of the cable on my relatively new TV! No more using that as a monitor!  (I know, wireless is an option). I bought a quite expensive HDMI cable with those surge limiting inductor things near the connectors, but to no avail. I think it took out my neighbours gate opener...again. Had this happen 10 years ago and at that time it cost me plenty!

Thought I'd start a new topic rather with a reply to your post rather than go OT on teelack's OFTR topic.

One thing that's greatly improved over the years is the electric infrastructure in Pattaya. Like you I had two very close lightning strikes during a storm last week. In the past the strike would usually be followed by a multi-hour power outage. But in the past couple years it's been rare to have an outage, and if there was one the electric company usually had power restored in less than hour.

That still doesn't preclude power spikes on the line. To protect against those I have several UPS's (uninterruptible power supply) scattered around the house. Anything electronic gets plugged into them and they've probably saved my electronics on a number of occasions.

I would recommend sticking to name brand UPS's.

For my computer equipement I have the APC Back-UPS 1400VA which has enough capacity for all my electronics in my home office. For the smaller electronics, like access points, hubs, CCTV cameras I use Zircon UPS's.

Perhaps @frostfire can also provide recommendations.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

To add to this topic, here's a C&P of a post I made on the same topic on another forum.

I was having a problem with tiny ants that were fond of making nests in my computers and other electronic gear. They're also a problem in the kitchen when any foodstuffs have been left out too long. Based on a recommendation on another board I bought the two products pictured below. Both have proven very effective at eliminating the ant problem around the house.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i577712854-s1067362695.html

image.thumb.png.88368c503d483852e72519571d3b1a77.png

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4557133900-s18558024373.htm
image.thumb.png.569fdcf44f1b9a301724e2154cc2b0bb.png

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Ants, the stories. Thanks force I added these to my Lazada cart.

We had a power outage last week, I was pissed since I thought it blew out a pump as well as a panel. The girl said it will come back in stages no worry. I told her it doesn't work like that. We Need to buy a new water pump and have someone check the A/C , the fan works but not the A/c. "It is on 100% or 0", does not come back in stages.  I grew up on the Chesapeake and know what I'm talking about. Apparently I'm lacking in my Issan knowledge. It does come back in flickering stages and she ignored my ranting and flipped the pump breaker off. when the storm began   I insisted the house be built to western plumbing and electrical code but I guess I should have an electrician take another look.  

32 minutes ago, sailingbill said:

Ants, the stories. Thanks force I added these to my Lazada cart.

We had a power outage last week, I was pissed since I thought it blew out a pump as well as a panel. The girl said it will come back in stages no worry. I told her it doesn't work like that. We Need to buy a new water pump and have someone check the A/C , the fan works but not the A/c. "It is on 100% or 0", does not come back in stages.  I grew up on the Chesapeake and know what I'm talking about. Apparently I'm lacking in my Issan knowledge. It does come back in flickering stages and she ignored my ranting and flipped the pump breaker off. when the storm began   I insisted the house be built to western plumbing and electrical code but I guess I should have an electrician take another look.  

I've noticed that when the power went out, it would sometimes come back in two stages. Each stage 110v. It was noticeable as the fan would start to kick over, but not at full speed until the power came back up to the nominal 220v.

Smart lady you have to throw the breaker until after the storm has passed.

For killing ants I've found the bait packs to be easier to put out, so would recommend just sticking with that.

If you have pets, place them where the pet can't get to them. I had a bit of concern when one my dogs got chewing on one, but when I looked up the active ingredient (boric acid) I relaxed. They'd have to eat 10 - 20 times what is in those small packets to have any ill effect.