Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Is France next Germany, football-wise?

France scored 2 goals during the OT against England, 4 days ago.

Today, it was 1 Croatian own goal plus 1 Croatian 'assist' for Trezeguet, who played the ball with his hand prior to scoring. 2 minutes into the OT our Ivica Mornar missed France's goal from 3 meters away... :crying

For 50 years now, it was always being said that football is a game of 2 halves, 22 players and 1 ball and the winning team's name is Germany. :D

Maybe it is time to modify the winning/surviving team's name to: France. :D

Btw, the French didn't really impress me tonight... ...or was Croatia so good? B)

IGRAJ, IGRAJ... ...STISNI, STISNI!!!

See you around on monday...

P.S.: The Swiss can also advance to the QF, simply by beating France on monday... :D

:devil

I am hoping they have used all their good fortune up for this tournie'. Either that, or God is watching in his blue shirt !

I'll cheer the Swiss on monday on the grounds of principle... :beer

Napolean used to ask if his generals were lucky. If he was around today he would have no complaints. But if France do not improve they will surely meet their Waterloo later on in the tournament.

The Germans were less than impressive in their draw with Latvia earlier today and could now fail to qualify for the knockout stages.

Now, all I need to make me REALLY happy is to see both Croatia and Switzerland win on Monday.

Alan

PS A recent poll suggested that 60% of Scots would be supporting England during the championships. It seems that I and many others I know are in the minority 1luv

The Germans were less than impressive in their draw with Latvia earlier today and could now fail to qualify for the knockout stages.

Now, all I need to make me REALLY happy is to see both Croatia and Switzerland win on Monday.

Alan

PS A recent poll suggested that 60% of Scots would be supporting England during the championships. It seems that I and many others I know are in the minority 1luv

... and the referee denied Latvians at least 1 if not 2 penalties in the 2nd hald: Baumann on Verpaskovskis and Woerns on the same guy...

Yes, I'd be happy if Croatia managed to beat England and advance to the QF, too. :D

The trouble is: we need to outscore the English, as I am sure they'll score at least once. :D

Colina is going to be the referee on monday. :P

Hope for a great and fair game...

B)

Its interesting to note that the four largest footballnations are gone now (England, France, Germany and Italy). The remaining countries have all less then 16 million inhabitants.

Arjen Robben=> Mikael Nilsson = :D

Fortunally it seems to be the tourney of underdogs.

Its interesting to note that the four largest footballnations are gone now (England, France, Germany and Italy). The remaining countries have all less then 16 million inhabitants.

Arjen Robben=> Mikael Nilsson =  :beer

Fortunally it seems to be the tourney of underdogs.

Sved,

the 5th one, Spain, is also out...

The Netherlands just beat Sweden on penalties and advance to the SF to encounter Portugal. :beer

Pity, I wanted the Swedes there as they are coming from a smaller (inhabitants number - wise 1luv ) country, though I liked both teams on this EC. :beer

1luv

Yeah forgot Spain,

Probably because Spain havent done a decent tournament since there were four teams in the Europeans. England did at least get a medal 1966 :beer

I am upset about the loss. Not because our close chances in the OT, not because the hyped Zlatan miss his penalty, but because some lardhead have Mellberg to do the most important one. That guy have never done a penalty the last 10 years or something :beer

But really. Holland started out really bad but grew stronger, we did the opposite. Altough Bulgaria isnt really a good measure. So I guess it was comming.

Now I have to root for Denmark and Greece.

Yeah forgot Spain,

Probably because Spain havent done a decent tournament since there were four teams in the Europeans. England did at least get a medal 1966  :beer

I am upset about the loss. Not because our close chances in the OT, not because the hyped Zlatan miss his penalty, but because some lardhead have Mellberg to do the most important one. That guy have never done a penalty the last 10 years or something  1luv

But really. Holland started out really bad but grew stronger, we did the opposite. Altough Bulgaria isnt really a good measure. So I guess it was comming.

Now I have to root for Denmark and Greece.

Sved,

Denmark has even got a realistic chance to take the cup, if they pass the Czechs tomorrow. They'd meet the Greeks in the SF and I seriously doubt that the Greek side can keep their focus. :beer

Anyway, 4 great games to go. 1luv

Skoll :beer

1luv

How about a final between Holland and Czech Republic?

They were in the same qualifying group, also in the same group, and possibly may meet yet again in the final. :D

Holland and Czech seems like the two logicial choices for a final and its gonna be a great game, just like the first game between them. In that case it will be pretty open who wins. Its a bit sad I was really hoping Greece would make it, but I dont think they will get there. Unless they are underestimated again for the google time this tournament, but then again the Czech can come back and win a game even if they´re behind one or two goals.

Actually I hope they meet. Their game in the qualifying group was one of the best this championship.

How about a final between Holland and Czech Republic?

They were in the same qualifying group, also in the same group, and possibly may meet yet again in the final.

...as were Portugal and Greece. B)

Really, I believe all 4 teams left in the tournament have something going for them:

Greece: the greatest team spirit.

Portugal: everything else aside, they are the hosts.

Holland: Van Nistelrooij and Robben.

The Czech Republic: never scored less than 2 goals during this tournament.

I believe it shall come down to the moment of inspiration or a lack of concentration.

:nod

Well I think Greece has the best overall strategy so far. Portugal are simply put lucky to be there altough you shouldnt underestimate their supporters. Holland seems to be playing good recently but had a really bad start and are know for being severly uneven. The Czech seem to be the most stable team so far.

I wouldnt expect Greece to make it, just like I didnt expect them to make it against Portugal, Spain and France. B)

Portugal and Holland tonight will be a great game but in the end I expect Holland to win. Portugal has bascially performed as badly as Figo and the only reason they made it against England is Svennis knack for defense. Holland wont settle for 1-0, 2-0 or even 3-0 they keep coming.

It must be stange for our US freinds to read about a sport that is played between so many countries. We take it for granted cheering on our National side in football/rugby and for us cricket. Now that footbal is taking off in US we will soon be including them in the sporting posts- great ! Roll on the World Cup ! B)

If I´m not misstaking the US football team (soccer) was pretty good when they hosted worlds so they might be upcomming.

But lots of americans knows about hockey, which also is very big in Europe. And the NHL league had many great imports from Europe.

If I´m not misstaking the US football team (soccer) was pretty good when they hosted worlds so they might be upcomming.

But lots of americans knows about hockey, which also is very big in Europe. And the NHL league had many great imports from Europe.

Yeah, I know about the hockey lark, but my Canadian cousin laments the fact that there are only about 6 teams in Canada playing top class stuff. The other sport I associate with U.S is baseball, they have a World Series, played only in U.S.

So, it will be nice to welcome them to the world of International Football, they will soon see where our passions are coming from.

Oh, and that American goalie playing for Spurs 'aint bad either. B)

Yeah not to mention basket, american football and wrestling, all which are quite rare outside US and not really up to american standards when they can be found. Altough former Yugoslavia did have a good basketball team. I think its Croatia now.

What I meant however is that altough the best hockey clubs are in US and Canada a large number of players are from Europe. Its similar to the situation in football where the quality of leagues and clubs arent always reflected on the national teams because of the large number of foreign players. For example Spain.

Well altough the interest have been sparked there will probably be a couple of generations before they reach European standards (Imagine the timeline of getting a couple of European teams that would be truly competitive in NFL!)

Well on to tonights game.

I still believe Holland will win. Just bench Figo earlier, or even better. Exclude him.

Edit: Holland lost. Never play 6-3-1! B)

Oh and Figo ran more this game then the entire tourney. B)

Yeah not to mention basket, american football and wrestling, all which are quite rare outside US and not really up to american standards when they can be found. Altough former Yugoslavia did have a good basketball team. I think its Croatia now.

What I meant however is that altough the best hockey clubs are in US and Canada a large number of players are from Europe. Its similar to the situation in football where the quality of leagues and clubs arent always reflected on the national teams because of the large number of foreign players. For example Spain.

Well altough the interest have been sparked there will probably be a couple of generations before they reach European standards (Imagine the timeline of getting a couple of European teams that would be truly competitive in NFL!)

Well on to tonights game.

I still believe Holland will win. Just bench Figo earlier, or even better. Exclude him.

Edit: Holland lost. Never play 6-3-1!    :D

Oh and Figo ran more this game then the entire tourney.  :P

Sved,

thanks for the compliments about Croatia's basketball, but we were really good only during the 1st half of the 90's, as we won the silver medal on the 1992 Barcelona Olypics, losing to the legendary US basketball Dream Team 1 in the finals.

We were playing against a single basketball team in history boasting Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Scottie Pippen, Charles Barkley, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing and 6 other top players. Managed to keep their pace for about a 1/3rd of the game, even took the lead after 13 minutes ch) , but they were just a bit too overwhelming.

As of now, Serbia and Montenegro (it is 1 country :D ) are the basketball world champions (the US Dream Team 4 didn't manage to win any medal at all) and the upcoming Athens Olympics are going to be very interesting... :P

As for the quality of the US players of football: it is amazing that their national side was 9th in the 1994 World Cup and 6th in the 2002, considering that they don't sport any proper home league. I believe they thrashed Portugal 2 years ago, beat Mexico in the 1/8th finals and narrowly lost to Germany in the QF. :P

Tonight Portugal played impressively until they decided to call it a night, 25 minutes before the end. Solely for this reason, they've deserved to lose this game, IMO.

As for Holland, Advocaat has proven himself to be a complete idiot - even Brazil would have lost with such tactics. :banghead

Portuguese must be praying for another upset by the Greeks, tomorrow night... :rolleyes:

B)

is there time for that joke about Bush receiving a warning of an unknown arial missile, only to find out it's Beckhams free kick?

. . . thought not

Yeah

I recall that game at the olympics, havent been updated since. That was mainly were my impression of basketball came from.

Lots of weird things happened at the worlds 2002. Altough the finals were between trademark countries Korea and Turkey went wild. Japan also did a pretty good show I believe and Senegal. Just like Greece in the Euros. In the end I think its great because it makes the field more open.

Was it just me or did Davids stand inside the goal with his legs crossed, leaning against the goal when Portugal scored the first time? 2guns

Tonight I am utterly convinced that the Czechs will beat Greece. I am so convinced I start worrying about an upset. <huh

Well Hollands 4-3-3 wasnt good against the Portugeese pressure. They were forced to be too defensive so often it would result in them playing with one foward. It strange though that Holland didnt make one single goal.

Edit: Neved hurt and Greece is playing pretty good. Upset is close :beer

Edit: Klonk :lol: Dont stand behind the player you gonna mark. :banghead

Lots of weird things happened at the worlds 2002. Altough the finals were between trademark countries Korea and Turkey went wild. Japan also did a pretty good show I believe and Senegal. Just like Greece in the Euros. In the end I think its great because it makes the field more open.

Was it just me or did Davids stand inside the goal with his legs crossed, leaning against the goal when Portugal scored the first time? 2guns

Tonight I am utterly convinced that the Czechs will beat Greece. I am so convinced I start worrying about an upset. B)

Well Hollands 4-3-3 wasnt good against the Portugeese pressure. They were forced to be too defensive so often it would result in them playing with one foward. It strange though that Holland didnt make one single goal.

Edit: Neved hurt and Greece is playing pretty good. Upset is close B)

Edit: Klonk B) Dont stand behind the player you gonna mark. :nod

Dellaaaaaaas! Greece-Czech Rep. 1:0 after the 1st OT. ch)

...and Greece advances to the Finals... 1luv :D

Yes, I love the underdogs. :D

B)

Its Portugals backyard. They also had longer rest before the finals. Not to mention they are on the roll, playing better for every match. Scholari finally have a working team as well after benching a couple of former has beens and convincing Figo to run.

Every singe factor is in Portugals favor so I fully believe Greece will become the new champions. :D