Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

JFK-BKK Non stop

Thai is accepting booking for the new non stop JFK-BKK. Cost $967USD return. This a good price for the start of the US high season. Only 17 hours flying time. :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Edit in: From what I understand service starts 1 May.

BigD

Do you know how jammed the coach seats are on these new planes? My experience with Cathay Pacific is that their Biz class seats are great, but coach is designed for smaller Asians? 17 hrs in a cattle car would suck!

They have three classes on the aircraft....business, premium economy and economy. Economy is 8 seats across, standard for an A340, but the premium economy is 7 across which gives much more elbow room and I'm sure is accompanied by a few extra inches of legroom. Do you know what the premium economy fare is?

Think there's any chance of them running LAX-BKK N/S at a reasonable price? I usually go with China Airlines because of the price. Thai usually wants a high price and an inconvenient schedule.

China Air is not bad, but the food is highly variable at best, inedible at worst :eyecrazy

• 2 weeks later...

www.travelocity.com is showing availability and pricing for this flight. Price $967.

LAX-BKK, ORD-BKK I would think as soon as they get more airplanes they will add these to their schedule.

I was just looking at fares this morning for February 18th, from DC, but I kept coming up with fares in the $1300 range. Of course, I could get to JFK and back, but that would add to it, no doubt. Still, the possibility of a nonstop flight to Bangkok has some appeal. The usual way it's 12 hours to Tokyo from Minneapolis or Detroit (on NWA), then a wait of an hour or so in Tokyo, and then another 6 hours to Bangkok, arriving around midnight.

Rex

Just booked Lax-Bkk for $730 total. There were some stay restrictions- I think it was 60 day maximum-but as I will return in 2 weeks it did not apply to me. the agent told me that the price was good for this month and that next month(March) it will go up to $760. The agency I use is U.S.A. Gateway Travel in L.A. Cal, It is a Thai agency-W/a long time relationship w/Thai-Air, speaking both thai and english. Please speak slowly if you choose to use them, when giving your details have a little patience and you will find that not only are they are very nice, and they always seem to have the best price on travel to LOS. Toll free-800/883/8798. Will be there the second and third weeks of March. <grin Get my beer ready at the FLB! As far as leg room goes, Jal has the smallest coach seats I've ever seen. United is running some web-fare specials but they include an added stop in seattle to an already too-long flight. Hope this helps those interested. Dan.

As far as LAX departures go, I've booked LAX-BKK r/t on Korean Air for between 750 and 800 USD. Change planes in Seoul, with a layover of anywhere from 3-10 hours depending on which flight you take. Excellent food on the flights, and as a result I've become a huge fan of Korean food; beats the hell out of the food on China Air, which I've also taken via Taipei. Incheon Airport in Seoul also has an excellent transit hotel inside the terminal that you can book in advance (6-hour minimum) with an adjoining restaurant. It's a great resource if you're stuck there with a long layover but not enough time to get into the city.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to Torrenova for posting the link http://www.thaiair.com/Travel_Destination_...thai_to_nyc.htm.

Here is a brief synopsis:

Economy:

2-4-2 seating, no leg rest, 36 inch pitch, 135 degree recline, 8.4 inch personal video screen

Premium Economy:

2-3-2 seating, leg rest, 42 inch pitch, 135 degree recline, 8.4 inch personal video screen

Royal Silk (Business):

2-2-2 seating, 60 inch pitch, 170 degree recline, 10.4 inch personal video screen

I plan on booking my May trip sometime this weekend, via TG 791 / TG 790 but I have a small problem. TG 791 leaves JFK at noon and I can’t get a flight from Indy to JFK that arrives early enough for me to make a connection. US Airways has a 5:00 flight to LaGuardia that arrives at 8:30 assuming I can catch the 9:00 shuttle to JFK I think I should be able to get Kennedy by 10:00.

I’ve haven’t changed airports in New York before and would like to know if any of the boardies have done this and if my plan is feasible. 2guns

Thanks and cheers,

Bill

2guns

Thanks to Torrenova for posting the link http://www.thaiair.com/Travel_Destination_...thai_to_nyc.htm.

Here is a brief synopsis:

Economy:

2-4-2 seating, no leg rest, 36 inch pitch, 135 degree recline, 8.4 inch personal video screen

Premium Economy:

2-3-2 seating, leg rest, 42 inch pitch, 135 degree recline, 8.4 inch personal video screen

Royal Silk (Business):

2-2-2 seating, 60 inch pitch, 170 degree recline, 10.4 inch personal video screen

I plan on booking my May trip sometime this weekend, via TG 791 / TG 790 but I have a small problem. TG 791 leaves JFK at noon and I can’t get a flight from Indy to JFK that arrives early enough for me to make a connection. US Airways has a 5:00 flight to LaGuardia that arrives at 8:30 assuming I can catch the 9:00 shuttle to JFK I think I should be able to get Kennedy by 10:00.

I’ve haven’t changed airports in New York before and would like to know if any of the boardies have done this and if my plan is feasible. :nod

Thanks and cheers,

Bill

:gulp

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/connfram.HTM

Good luck.

Hub

Heading from LaGuardia to JFK at time of the morning should take no more than about twenty minutes by cab (from JFK to LaGurdia would take longer in the morning). However, what happens if your flight from Indy is delayed? Would you have to rebook at a higher last-minute rate?

• 2 weeks later...

Aircraft : Airbus 340-500

60 Seats in Royal Silk Class / 42 Seats in Premium Economy Class / 113 Seats in Economy Class

Not many cheap seats on this aircraft...

US Airways has a 5:00 flight to LaGuardia that arrives at 8:30 assuming I can catch the 9:00 shuttle to JFK I think I should be able to get Kennedy by 10:00.

I’ve haven’t changed airports in New York before and would like to know if any of the boardies have done this and if my plan is feasible.

I'd say there is a 10% chance of you making that connection. Seriously, allow yourself at least 3 hours to connect form LGA to JFK. Even then, with traffic on the Van Wyck Expy, no promises (unless you were planning on taking the helicopter)

I noticed that the flight duration is only 15 minutes difference between the legs. Does that seem right? I thought the east to west flight would be much longer than the west to east. Unless they are flying west to east on both flights.

Thanks to all for the input as to the feasibility of my connection between LGA and JFK. It looks like this won’t be a problem although I do have a question for sick_puppy.

Would your opinion change if I told you that I am arriving at LaGuardia on a Saturday morning at 8:30 and the flight doesn’t leave until 12:00? In theory there should be less traffic, but I’m far from an expert on NYC Traffic.

I still haven’t purchased my ticket from IND to NYC yet and if necessary I can fly in Friday night and pay the $100+ for a hotel near JFK.

LBJ; I had the same question about the flight times. I thought that maybe they flew east with both flights to take advantage of the jet stream, but a friend pointed out that if they fly a (true) polar route it is a much shorter distance. I went home and did a very unscientific measurement on the globe and it seems he was correct. I’ll let you know what I find out after I return.

Cheers

Bill

They should fly pretty much the same route as SQ does from EWR. The pic below shows the actual route taken by SQ1 although it would normally cross the Atlantic a good deal further north and enter European airspace over southern Scandanavia.

Tom

1919sq_flt_1.jpg

Tahoe bill

If your flight arrives on time at 8.30 AM, then there is no problem to get to JFK by taxi. It takes about 30 or so mins.

The problem can arise if your flight is late and gets in LGA at 10.30 or 11 AM. Then you may have to rush it.