Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Hi there,

I've been checking out this site for more than a week now and appreciate the info which you guys have supplied in the past so here goes. I'm planning my 1st trip to Pattaya in early March with a mate and would like some advice from an Aussie perspective.

1. I have a Visa Credit card but will incur bloody bank charges every time I use it so what would you suggest the best value way to access cash. Travellers checks, carry cash or just use the ATM's and wear the costs.

2. Many posts suggest travelling light and buy a virtual new wardrobe over there. Are clothes really that cheap? I would hate to travel light and find that I can't really get what I need. Polo shirts, slacks, dress shirts etc.

3. I will possibly buy a digital camera and other electronic items so is it best to buy over there or at a duty free store? Cd's, DVD's, computor software and Play station games. Are the all in the same format and compatible with the Oz system. I really have no idea as I'm not the most "techie" type.

4. We are planning a few games of golf but, being a couple of hackers would prefer to have someone there make the arrangements even if we have to pay a bit more for the privilage. Any recommendations?

5. Looking to book accomm. at Sabai Lodge. Reviews indicate good value. Looking for clean, friendly, guest friendly, good food, fairly spacious rooms, soft beds, not 4-5 star but okay, good pool. Any other suggestions?

I have probably more questions and will post as they come to me. Being a newbie, I hope to eliminate as many potential mistakes before the event. I have taken on board the excellent post by sandman81 and will certainly be guided by that.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Cheers,

misterc.

:beer

:beer Hi Misterc

I am also going to Pattaya for the first time in March.

I will be there between the 9th to 16th.

I,m staying at the Sabai Lodge as well, from all the reviews I have read seems like a top place.

I booked my accommodation online( Deluxe C Ruenthai Pool ) but have only paid the first night in advance, that way if I dont like it I can pick another place. They have arranged for a driver to collect me from the airport as well.

Here is a link to the hotel webpage and a map as well:

http://www.sabailodge.com/

http://www.sabailodge.com/hotelmap.doc

I have decided to take Travellers Cheques as well as some cash.

I Plan on getting 7 travellers cheques ( 1 for each Day there ), that way I can just open the in room safe every morning grab a cheque cash it in and have enough money for the days fun :D .

I will be travelling alone so am a bit nervous about this trip, but from what I have read quite a lot of poeple travell to Pattaya by themselfs.

If you are going to be in Pattaya at the same time as me, maybe we can meet up for a few :D and go check out some of the local talent.

Cheers

Sten

HELLO MISTERC; A LOT OF PLACES DO NOT TAKE TRAVELERS CHECKS. ATM'S CHARGE ABOUT $1.50 U.S. BANKS DON'T CHARGE AT THE COUNTER. THE EXCHANGE OUTSIDE OF FOODLAND TAKE CHECKS. THE EXCHANGE RATE IS GOOD ALSO. THE ONLY THING I HAVE BUYING IN PATTAYA IS PANTS. THAI PEOPLE ARE SMALL SO ARE THIER PANTS. BIG C STORE IS A GOOD PLACE TO LOOK BUT YOU'LL HAVE TO ASK FOR LARGER SIZES. SHIRTS AND OTHER THINGS ARE EASY. CUSTOM MADE CLOTHES ARE A BARGIN. MY SHIRTS ARE USUALLY $12.OO U.S. CUSTOM FIT. I HOPE THIS HELPS.

Hi fellow Aussies

Pattaya for you guys will be a blast - its safer than Sydney or Melbourne and you will be totally amazed how friendly everybody is and how cheap things are at 30bt to AUD$1.00. Read as much as you can on this forum before you leave and you won't go wrong - most of the advise given here is absolutely spot on. Also make sure you drop into FLB as there are bound to be a couple of boardies who will be more than happy to show you the ropes.

As far as money is concerned this was what I took on my last trip and it worked out perfectly:

Cash - AUD$1,000 in $100 bills.

For emergency use only. ie: melt down of the ATM system etc. Left in the safe deposit box with passport.

A St George MultiAccess Card which uses the Visa Network to withdraw available funds from my St George Freedom account via its extensive network of ATM's. In Bangkok and Pattaya you will fall over the bloody things, they are just everywhere. Used to get cash for shopping, food, drinks and entertainment.

A St George MasterCard Credit Card.

Only to be used in an emergency and for accommodation charges. Also available to be used for cash advances, which is comforting to know that in an emergency you would have access to the available balance on your card in cash.

Access to internet banking.

Essential as it allows me to transfer funds from my investment account to my freedom account as required. It also allowed me to monitor my MasterCard account to make sure there were no unauthorised charges.

I don't use travellers cheques but noticed that whilst the TC rate was 00.30 bt higher than the cash rate, there was a 33.00 bt charge for each cheque cashed and you need to have your passport on you.

I always use the safety deposit box in the hotel, where I leave my passport (photocopy in wallet), AUD$ cash and both cards, only keeping enough withdrawn Baht to last 24 hrs. I found 6,000 bt seemed to be ok for a days needs, with larger amounts for shopping excursions.

Finally, just chill out and enjoy but remember this will not be your last trip, once you experience Pattaya you will be hooked :banghead

Looking forward to your trip reports on your return. :banghead

Having been to Pattaya 3 times I have noticed a few things that I hope will help with your questions.

1. Travellors cheque dont get as good and exchange and there can be a fee for exchange. Myself I choose cash and when required I use ATM. Service charge for ATM doesnt really amount to much.

2. As the other post says clothes are small. I look for shorts, shirts etc but I find them hard to find. I wouldnt travel to light. Although things are generally cheaper and some times dirt cheap I wouldnt count on finding a significant portion of your waredrobe requirements that easily. The saving grace is getting laundry done is quick and cheap. Drop it off at any of hundreds of small laundry shops and pick it up the next day. Dont use hotel service. Walk a few feet and drop it yourself. Price is about 10 bt per item.

3. have never looked seriously at electronics but I can tell you when you get a fake Rolex for 700 bt........you get what you pay for :eyecrazy

Have a great time. I am just back from a 10 day trip that has me wanting more.... B)

Hi misterc.

I'll be there in March also, but it's my 12th trip :D

If you buy traveller's cheques, suggest getting them in A$200 denominations.

Plenty of exchange booths around to cash them. The rates sometimes vary slightly.

As mentioned above, you'll need your passport for this.

Bring your own clothes.

I have t shirts, shorts and sandals daytime, casual collared shirts, long casual trousers with zip-up pockets and joggers for the evening.

My stuff goes in a holdall( usually 9kgs) and backpack.

Laundry places everywhere. ( Cost example: 5 shirts, 5 underpants, 5 socks will cost about 90baht.)

Pattaya is fantastic.

Good luck :rolleyes:

chico, straining at the leash,grrrrrrrruf B) :P

Misterc,

Hello welcome to the board. You are going to have a ball. :cussing

1. I usually take cash and and my Visa Check/ATM card. My home bank has a fee but there usually isn't a fee at the ATM or Exchange booth. If you do a cash advance at an Exchange booth or inside the bank, bring your passport.

2. You can travel light and buy clothes over there, there are alot of places you can by clothes amd they are very inexpensive. "Made in Thailand" on 2nd road is a big market with alot of clothes, they even have big sizes, i bought some clothes for my big brother before. Also there is a market on Tuesday and Friday, ask any Thai or bring your favorite TG, she can help you negotiate the right price.

3. I wouldn't buy a digital camera there, the prices aren't any better and probably more expensive in LOS and good luck with returning it if you have any trouble with it.

4. Sorry i never golfed there, i suck at golf. :beer

5. Sabai Lodge is a great place to stay. I stayed at Sabai inn across the soi and loved it, it was very quite which i like. Also it is a short walk to beach road where you can pick up a baht bus.

Good luck, you are going to have a ball. BTW March is hot in Thailand. :angry:

cheers

kj

I've travelled to Pattaya alone many times. You have nothing to be apprehensive about. Go and enjoy.

On the money question, take cash and a card that will work in an ATM machine. As others have said here, TCs are a waste of time and may cost more. Plus to cash them you have to carry your passport. I leave my passport in the safety deposit box and carry a photocopy of the two pages which include the photo. That way you won't lose your passport and you still have ID. The ATM machines are great but when I was there in November the communication system linking them went down at least twice for several hours. Having cash means you can get Baht even when that happens. There are lots of exchange places.

Pattaya is a place to get cheap, casual clothes and its a place to wear only casual clothes. Unless you are a very big size you'll have no problem finding shirts, shorts and pants (trousers). Go to any of the markets and just bargain for what you want. You should be able to get a cotton shirt of decent quality for 200 Baht, good cotton shorts for 400 Baht and long pants for 500 Baht. Most of what they are selling are end runs or seconds (check them carefully when selecting for any flaws) and are made for export so they are made to fit westerners, not Thais.

You can also go to a tailor and get good casual shirts made for 400-450 Baht. These are very good as casual. However, its my experience that they don't make shirt collars that sit nicely with a tie very well. So I only buy shirts I'll wear open neck. You can also get suits made and they are OK though not up to Hong Kong standards. Just make sure you go through a couple of fittings and be very specific about what you want. You should be able to get an OK suit for about Aus$200.

The other thing you can get made if you like are silk boxer shorts. I think they are great and have had lots of them made for 400 Baht each. You'll find them much cheaper in markets but check them carefully and check the crotch depth, not just the waist size, before you buy them ready made. I'm a large size so I get them made.

I agree with the camera advice above. Buy at home. I haven't stayed at Sabai and I'm not a golfer.

Have a great time.

just got back man, you will have a ball, dont bring too mush clothing, shorts, t shirt is fine, visa card will get you through, no travellers cheques, extrange rate is not good, have a ball, steve