Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Interested what to do all day?

I think you will find that Pattaya over Phuket has more to fill your days.

Phuket for me was boring, and the girls had an attitude problem. I went in March for a month but went back to Pattaya after 2 weeks for me the place 2nd rate.

I lived in Pattaya for six months until August this year. Allthough there were many things to do it did get boring and routine the same as anywhere.

One thing I will mention though, I did a lot of research before going, prices per month etc, but it did not prepare me for the true cost of living in Pattaya, which was way beyond what some people will tell you.

For a decent condo in a safe area, living an average lifestyle without going into all the breakdown it cost me to live normally £1,200 per month and I would advise anybody intending to live in Pattaya to budget around £15,000 per ann.

I know people will tell you you can live for peanuts 40 50 60 thousand baht per month, but in reality they have a very simple cheap lifestyle living in a dodgy area.

My advise would be to live for a month as a trial run then work out your own costs.

Hope this helps someone.

I've just moved here to live and enjoying every minute of it so far :beer though I have to remember that I'm now an ex-pat and can't go on the prowl every night. :chogdee2

My rent is 20,000 baht per month for a one bedroom condo in View Talay and I reckon that my average monthly expenditure will be around 80,000 baht or so per month. However, I'll have a better idea of this by the end of September. You can get a studio apartment for a lot less than 20,000 per month, but I like a certain amount of comfort and am happy to pay for this.

Alan

Big Robbo,

Sorry mate, don't agree with you .

I spent 3 months last year in Pattaya and had a very nice time on £1000 per month .I stayed at the Dynasty and Areca Lodge - not dodgy areas in my opinion.

If you go to go go bars EVERY day, tip like mad, and eat in expensive restaurants every day, of course you will spend more .

On a longer term, I think we all have to slow down a little, after the first 3 weeks or so anyway.

I know guys who spend a lot more, but believe me, you can have a lot of fun on £1000 p/m if you are sensible.

BTW, this just covers my bills in the UK, with NO FUN at all . No brainer!

happy hunting all.

I hear what you say mate. I was basing my estimate on living in a nice condo not a hotel room. Nothing wrong with hotel rooms but for six months or more a condo with adsl internet connection and all that goes with a condo I stick to my previous prices.

:nod

Ummm, I know this may sound a little dumb, but what the hell...I have 10 days to spend in Pattaya starting Jan 1, 2006. Aside from getting drunk every night and you-know-what the rest of the time, what is there to do in Pattaya? Sights? trips? your learned advice is greatly appreciated. -Pat

If you aren't bored at home, you will never be bored here. Here you have just about everything you had at home and then there are things pertaining to the opposite sex which can consume hours just by itself.

Cheers

Call me crazy, but I usually rent a car and drive around myself: to the various minor sights, to a more recluded beach, to the train station to take photos of the (only) passenger train per day, watching the locals.

Also, Koh Samet is an easy one-day trip. Budget has free trip maps with other suggestions. Sometimes I take a BG along: can be more fun, but don't count on them for directions...

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all, new to this one as you can see, I am relocating over to los but am stuck as to move to pattaya or phuket, i think pattaya better for price for me, i am wondering what you do during the day there, i was thinking about buying a cheap bar just to keep me occupied(not for profit) , i am just looking for ideas as phuket is really looking to expensive for a full time live there, Also to add to best breakfasts i saw the advert on cable of crazy daves, any 1 been there, i couldnt find the place but would appreaciate any one who knows where it is..

Regards to all

During my first trips (~5-6 years ago) I couldn't figure out what to do either, but now that I have an idea of where things are, there doesn't seem enough time in the day, even for 3-4 week vacations. No naps for this kid usually, to my detriment when drinking with the serious lads at 1-2 am! :chogdee2

As others have said, golf, bowling (lawn and regular), the quiz nights. Also, once you develop a circle of friends, there are so many spot to have an afternoon beer or six.

If you are into sports at all, places like Pattaya Sports Club (pattayasports.org) have various leagues including darts, golf, bowling - just look at the Pattaya Mail (pattayamail.com) website and go to sports and you will see the results of various clubs.

I think Henry J Beans (beach road, north pattaya) has an expats club meeting every week (I think Sunday).

good luck!

Hub

Guest Winston_Churchill
Hey Stumper! Was it the weight of the traffic that caused the bridge to collapse? or just bad engineering?

Suitcase

Bridge is still there i crossed it yesterday :beer lots of aussie t-shirts hanging of the raillings though :P