Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Retirement Visa

"You must once again show that you have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank"

I have a retirement visa and was told by a lawyer that I would be eligible to renew provided I have had wire transfers TOTALING b800,000 during the prior year period, not a BALANCE of 800,000.

I hope TOTAL TRANSFERS do the trick or I won't need the re-entry permit. :nod

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is 800,00 baht per year which can be in one lump sum or a monthly sum from say a pension or so forth. If it is a monthly sum your application needs to be accompanied by a letter from your embassy confirming the exact amount that is being credited monthly to your account, and the source of where it is coming from.

Guest Fatboyfat

Any indications as to what they are looking for in the Medical ? Have a relation who is looking to go down this road shortly, but he is Diabetic. (Old fat boy, Type 2 version, not "hypo prone"!)

I assume it is just the WHO thing for contagious diseases, plus HIV.

Short, the following is from the Thai Embassy in DC: The hospitals in Pattaya are familiar with the certificate, but make sure they do the syphyllis part because the requirements are different for different countries and Bangkok Pattaya Hospital did not have it listed until I specifically requested it. Apparently, the USA is a risk for syphilis.

Not having prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) (Leprosy, Tuberculosis (T.B.), Elephantiasis, Drug Addiction, Alcoholism, Third step of Syphilis)

Sanget, right now $20,000 is sufficient because the exchange is 41 to 1.

So whats involved in the medical certificate?

122medical.JPG

this is what is wanted from us lil vegemites in oz....

best part is you then have a piece of paper which says you are in good mental health.... :D ....nobody can argue with you about that one any more............. :D

Edited by wombat

If you can walk in to the clinic you get the letter I was told at the clinic that the exam takes 10 Min's how can they check for all that stuff with out a blood test or can they and all for a cost of 150 baht ?? Modern Medicine comes to Pattaya

If you can walk in to the clinic you get the letter I was told at the clinic that the exam takes 10 Min's how can they check for all that stuff with out a blood test or can they and all for a cost of 150 baht ?? Modern Medicine comes to Pattaya

Same physical I had in the military. If you can walk and talk, your okay. B)

It is 800,00 baht per year which can be in one lump sum or a monthly sum from say a pension or so forth. If it is a monthly sum your application needs to be accompanied by a letter from your embassy confirming the exact amount that is being credited monthly to your account, and the source of where it is coming from.

Tony

Are you sure about this or am I reading this wrong Let's say this guy has been transferring in 1 million Bath through out the year and has the receipts to prove it but when renewal day comes around he has a balance of only 460,000 Baht Are you sure they will renew with less than the 800,000 ??

Tony

Are you sure about this or am I reading this wrong Let's say this guy has been transferring in 1 million Bath through out the year and has the receipts to prove it but when renewal day comes around he has a balance of only 460,000 Baht Are you sure they will renew with less than the 800,000 ??

I believe you have to show you have 800,000 baht in the bank, the same day. When you apply for the retirement visa. :finger If you have less than 800K in a thai bank. Your retirement visa will be turned down. The only other way is, if you are married to a thai. Then you only have to show 400,000 baht in a thai bank. :rolleyes:

soi 7, sorry i'm not explaining myself properley. When i mean transfers from over seas, i mean lets say that you have a pension of 80,000 per month and this gets transfered to your thai bank account monthly. As long as you have a letter from your embassy stamped which says that this is your pension and that it is the correct amount and its not a forgery then when you go to re-new your retirement visa you dont need anything in the bank because you have this letter which offers proof of income. To spasmodically transfer amounts throughout the year does not count unless there is 800,000 baht or more sitting in your thai bank account at time of application

I've had several of these "Medical Certificates". I needed one for a Thai driving licence too.

Turn up at the clinic with 100 baht in your hand. Nurse takes blood pressure. Doctor listens to heart for 10 seconds, asks if you have any diseases, say Ahhh, doctor looks in mouth, sign here, done!

Takes about 3 minutes.

I've had several of these "Medical Certificates". I needed one for a Thai driving licence too.

Turn up at the clinic with 100 baht in your hand. Nurse takes blood pressure. Doctor listens to heart for 10 seconds, asks if you have any diseases, say Ahhh, doctor looks in mouth, sign here, done!

Takes about 3 minutes.

Exactly what happened to me though mine cost 400 baht at the Pattaya International Hospital. I needed some different blood pressure pills as the Bendrofluazide I took aren't available in Thailand. The doctor gave me a chit for some different pills.

Next year, I'll go to a clinic instead.

Alan

Some information just to clarify further the process proving monthly income rather than 800,000 in the bank in Thailand. . Firstly the letter I sent to the British Embassy in Bangkok. Note that the monthly pensions are paid into my UK accounts and only transfer into the Issan buffalo market via the atm, though I do have a small Thai bank account.

23 July 2005

Kuhn Jim Ackrawong

The British Embassy

Consular Section

1031 Wireless Road

Lumpini

Pathumwan

Bangkok

Dear Kuhn Ackrawong

Mr xxxxxx: Request for confirmation of Pension Income

in support of ‘O’ ‘Retirement Visa

May I formally request that you certify that my income from pensions in the UK is as given in the documentation with this letter. I am 66 years of age, living in Pattaya, and have a Multiple-Entry ‘O’ Visa that expires on 4 August 2005.

Enclosed are the following:-

1. A photo copy of the relevant page from my passport

2. A summary of my Pension Income showing four pensions

3. A Pay Advice from xxxxxx confirming the amount payable

4. A letter from the xxxxxx confirming this year’s payment

5. A letter from The Pension Service showing income from the UK State Pension against my National Insurance Number xxxxx

6. A letter showing monthly pension income from Standard Life of Edinburgh

7. Payments from the above are shown on Transaction Details from two accounts at Barclays Bank

8. A Money Order for 1,803 baht in payment of the fee which includes payment for a 40 baht stamp for return of my documentation.

I have highlighted the pension income each month on the Barclays statements

I have registered on your Embassy website. Further information is as follows:-

1. Mobile phone xxxxx

2. Home phone xxxxxxx

3. e-mail xxxxxxxx Finally thank you for your telephone help in completing this application, very useful and courteous. Please let me know if there is a problem or you need any further information.

Yours sincerely

xxxxxxxxx

The Embassy then reply with a letter that confirms I am a British Citizen, that I reside in Pattaya and they have nothing in their records to my detriment. (What do they know?) They confirm the amount of the pensions per month - I have never pressed the point about gross or net amounts. Then they ask for cooperation in my application. You make the postal order out to the British Embassy, Nana Post Office.

I get a Doctor's certificate for almost nowt at a clinic.

I take all this, fill in the form at the Immigration Office, photos, passport etc This time they asked about a Thai bank account (why? - but don't argue) and I took my pass book the next day, showing I had about 820baht in there. They stamped the extension in my passport. So it took overnight.

I've done this twice. The first time I told them to keep the

change from the Immigration Fee for the Police Children Fund - which they did; the second time they had a separate counter for payment, so I don't think tempt fate by offering anything. But they too were helpful.

There are more details on the Embassy site, Pattaya Immigration website, plus Pattaya Ex-pats and Thai Visa sites. If it seems detailed and pedantic, that's because it is and it's worth getting it right. :eyecrazy

Patrick

on average the thai banks are giving a yearly % on 800,000 baht of between 0 and .5% gross

What a crock of shit... :ang2 I just think I'll just vacation there if I have to keep 20000 USD in their bank with no incentive.

What a crock of shit... angry2.gif I just think I'll just vacation there if I have to keep 20000 USD in their bank with no incentive.

Tib,

I know what you mean but to me it will be worth it as never having to leave for a visa run. And the Visa runs are now about 50 US so 600 a year would 20,000 a year yield 600 in interest ? Well matters not at not having that 9 hour trip makes it worth it for me :rolleyes: :clueless :nod

What a crock of shit... :ang2 I just think I'll just vacation there if I have to keep 20000 USD in their bank with no incentive.

El tib,

I have no option but to show proof of funds in the bank as my pension income is less than 65,000 baht per month. My total income is, however, well in excess of that figure.

You can use the funds in the account for day to day living expenses whilst here. Higher interest accounts are available but I'm not sure what the minimum depost is. I'll look into this at some point.

Also, if you were planning on retiring here, the Thai Immigration are cracking down on people who come in on a 30 day stamp and then leave and immediately re-enter the country once their permission to stay expires.

Alan

You can use the funds in the account for day to day living expenses whilst here. Higher interest accounts are available but I'm not sure what the minimum depost is. I'll look into this at some point.

Yes I agree Alan but those with the larger % Rates are Time Deposits so you could not take from that account for the Day to Day living with out getting spanked I think

Yes I agree Alan but those with the larger % Rates are Time Deposits so you could not take from that account for the Day to Day living with out getting spanked I think

When I was getting my bank letter, the girl was quite keen to sign me up to one of those higher interest accounts. I was interested but couldn't stay on at that point so I couldn't ask what the lock-in period was.

I'll make some enquiries in the next week or so and will post here what they tell me. Certainly, the money put into that type of account would have to be funds you don't need for the immediate future.

Alan

and if you are under 50 years of age and have 3 million baht in a thai bank account you are elligible for the same visa

Thanks for all the contributions on this topic, which has been confusing in the past. Tony, if the 3 million baht requirement is true for persons under the age of 50, then all I need to do is have $75K US in a Thai bank account each year when I apply and then renew, and I can get and maintain a retirement visa. That means I can retire in Pattaya about 3 years earlier than I expected (age 47). Am I missing something?